Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 354593 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trying to remember the name of a game from many years ago. It was an arcade-y top down space game with roguelike elements. It had one developer, and it was free. Most of the game involved fighting things in space. You could stop at stations to upgrade your ship, or to sell cargo you got off of ships you had destroyed, or you could buy cargo and sell it at another station for a profit.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Trying to remember the name of a game from many years ago. It was an arcade-y top down space game with roguelike elements. It had one developer, and it was free. Most of the game involved fighting things in space. You could stop at stations to upgrade your ship, or to sell cargo you got off of ships you had destroyed, or you could buy cargo and sell it at another station for a profit.

Duskers? FTL? Halcyon 6?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Duskers? FTL? Halcyon 6?
You know, the question goes on for a bit more after the 'space game' bit.

Transcendence? I'm not 100% sure about the one-guy development. Naev is also similar.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Duskers? FTL? Halcyon 6?
None of those are free, so I doubt it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Transcendence? I'm not 100% sure about the one-guy development. Naev is also similar.

Thanks! Transcendence is the game I was thinking of. I might be wrong about the development. Looks like it is still actively being worked on too, which is nice to see. I haven't played it in years.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Transcendence was more or less one person developed for most of its development lifetime. I think at least parts were eventually kinda' handed off to active members of its community, or something along those lines.

Solid bit of work, though, regardless. Used to play the hell out of it, think I even screwed around with modding a (very small) bit, myself.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Back in the late 90s early 2000s there was a game I played the demo of. Let's see if anyone remembers the name of it.

- Isometric, possibly 3D, RPG
- Medieval setting. Standard fantasy

On to more specific stuff. The one level I remember was a tutorial mission. You played as a male spell caster in a forest, possibly looking to rescue another character.

The mechanic I remember the most about the game was the magic system. You would collect reagent items and combine them in your inventory to cast spells. These reagent items weren't used up in the casting I don't think, rather you would combine different reagents to figure out new spells.
I think one of the reagents was a moss clump. Combining it with something else possibly gave you an acid ball spell.

Edit: As a bonus I'll add in a second game that came to mind.

A strategy game with RPG elements. The battle system involved turn based combat on a grid. It was 3D and you used cards to summon units like giant flytraps, possibly also to cast other abilities. I think you could build your army card deck with what cards you had found during a game.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:31:07 pm by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I don't know what the second game is, but it sounds like something derived from Chaos: Battle of the Wizards. There's a "Chaos: Reborn" game on Steam right now, it's definitely not it but it might share elements with what you're looking for.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

First one is 'Magic and Mayhem', second is 'Etherlords'.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

First one is 'Magic and Mayhem', second is 'Etherlords'.

Ha! Impressive, thank you. Looking, Etherlords is on gog.com but it seems Magic and Mayhem sadly isn't.

Also, apparently the Magic and Mayhem I played was a sequel called The Art of Magic and was also made by Bethesda.

@Sean Mirrsen: Thanks also. I have never heard of Chaos: Battle of the Wizards but, what? It was published by Games Workshop? That's wierd, and it doesn't seem to be based off Warhammer either. Though it was apparently for the ZX Spectrum.

Man, looking up old games is sometimes really bizarre with their connections.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I would have guessed Etherlords too if you didn't specify battling on a grid. Etherlords is a more traditional "party vs party" setup, similar to what you'd have in Magic the Gathering. I really rather liked that game back then. Russian gamedev has really declined in the past decade(s). (Also, it has a sequel.)

And Chaos is named for the Law-vs-Chaos duality (and it's an apt description of the state of the battlefield a few turns in). Not everything with Chaos is necessarily linked to WH. :P
It's one of the Spectrum-era games I replay the most often. Really fun gameplay. The Chaos:Reborn game I think went too heavily on presentation and mechanics (the shift to a hexagon grid is kind of eeeeh), it would have been pretty great as a sort of party strategy game I think, just for the fun factor and, well, chaos, that results.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 09:15:05 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking for an old adventure game, aka "point and click".
The style was side-scrolling, cartoonish, and the main protaginist was a white mouse-like thing that had a magic carpet and would use his fez-like hat as an inventory for items. You started inside a house where you had to rewire stuff. Later locations include a space-station and a maze that was a giant dump.

edit: I actually found it when I remembered the keyword "dingo". It's called "Koala Lumpur: Journey to the Edge"
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:01:06 pm by Xinvoker »

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile

there was some game set in japan and a chinese guy killed someone and that started the plot. I think people said it was like yakuza?
I found the game
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:29:56 pm by deathpunch578 »
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

This one was an educational game that I played about 15 years ago I think?It had Yellow creatures of some sort teaching electric currents, sound waves, and lenses and lights used to hatch eggs. It was very catoon-y. Dont remember much other then that, sadly.

I believe what you're looking for is ZAP!

Funny little bit about that game; the circuit-fixing portion, arguably the most "challenging" of the various activities, could be completely cheesed and bypassed. You'd click a "check solution" button to see if you'd solved the puzzle, and if it wasn't right the character would just tell you to keep trying... however, if you instead repeatedly clicked on the answer button, it would just set the board to the solved state and congratulate you on finding the answer.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile

Trying to figure out what game this is. It has a monster hunter crossover/reference in this picture(kirin).
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 203