Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 356038 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Based on the mix of pixel resolutions, I'm guessing it's not actually as old as it looks.  Any idea what platform it is? Flash?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

It's just some pixel art someone made, looks like.

Source.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile

It's just some pixel art someone made, looks like.

Source.

That's where I got it. Thing is it reminds me of something I've seen in passing recently, I could be wrong though. It wasn't clear whether that thing was made, by him or others, or if it was an actual game.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile

The snow, cliffs and trees make me think of Red Alert. The pixel guys definitely aren't in that game's style, though.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

When I saw it I assumed it was from the Dominions series.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

I'm helping a friend track down a game. Here is what we know:
He played it around 2010.
It's a browser based rpg.
The graphics are limited to stills (portraits) and text.
The art style is reminiscent of Heroes of Might and Magic.
Your char could fight monsters while you were away.
You chose a location and there was a scrolling bar, killing monsters and stuff.
And when you log back in, your character would be dead because you didn't store enough potions.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

It wasn't the Majesty RPG, Heroes of Ardania, was it?
No. Despite the lack of autonomous adventuring I also suggested it.

He says one of the playable races was some kind of lizard/reptile
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

There was this RTS with heroes and units governed by them.

The campaigns in the game varied wildly in both length and complexity; I remember a lengthy one about a girl who pursued some goddess only to be killed by her cuz the goddess was actually evil sorceress in disguise or something like that. There was also a campaign for lizard folk (main hero was a shaman or shamaness). I think there was also one campaign about awakening an ancient evil god or preventing that from happening.

I remember that to grow, you had to expand your cities, settle new ones, and that every faction (and there were quite a few) had different buildings, branching paths of buildings and stuff. I remember Zealots(?) being used by Nationalists(??) or something like that, and magical cannons shooting purple explosive dust. There was also a faction (or a hero) named Garland in tutorial mission.

There was also plenty of independent monsters to hunt down which would net you gold or artifacts. Most annoying were some savage blue dudes who lived in hives and those hives could easily spread across the skirmish map if you weren't paying attention to them.

...I think this wasn't a single game, actually. A base game and expansion maybe? A game with a sequel? Pretty sure they used the same engine tho.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:17:08 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

OMG YES! That's exactly it!

I love you Kagus <3
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Just wanted to note that google gives me Kohan as the first hit when I search for the first line of your post. ;)

I've never played the first one, only Kohan II. I heard the first one was better, though?

Anyway, I wanted to ask why is it on Steam if it can't be bought? I've never seen this before.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Just wanted to note that google gives me Kohan as the first hit when I search for the first line of your post. ;)

I've never played the first one, only Kohan II. I heard the first one was better, though?

Anyway, I wanted to ask why is it on Steam if it can't be bought? I've never seen this before.

It shows up as available for me, and I'm even on a phone... It's there just no price listed for you our does it throw out an error message if you try to add it to the cart?  And yeah, there are a few games on Steam that exist as listings, but cannot be purchased. It's generally stuff where it was being sold previously, but either the company went under or a license was lost or something. In this state, previous owners can still play the game, but no one else can buy it.

OMG YES! That's exactly it!

I love you Kagus <3

Smoochies.  I spent a great amount of time playing Kohan, not that I ever really knew how to play, mind you... I just knew the cheat codes. Also, the map editor.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

@Kagus:
There's no price of buy button displayed at all. No obvious way to purchase it. I can see reviews from as late as January, though.
And since you have it as available, would it mean it's region-locked? (but then again, aren't we both in the EU?)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

I used to have Dragon Age in my wishlist and it had no price listed, for some reason.
(Now I have "2" items in my wishlist, but only one listed, so who knows with Steam)

I found the first Kohan back in the day because it had a linux release and demo.  I replayed it relatively recently and still love the economic system.
The squad system was really remarkable though.  I wonder if it was an inspiration for Dawn of War/Company of Heroes, or if it was inevitable that another company would realize that controlling units individually isn't necessarily fun or sensical.

I only played a little bit of 2, but mostly due to real life time constraints.  The interface changed a lot, but I have no idea if it's better or worse.  1 has a pretty clean and intuitive interface (considering its ambitious mechanics for an RTS) and I very much enjoyed beating the whole game once.

Story was pretty neat too.  Immortals!  Amnesia!  Intrigue!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 203