Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 354933 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2610 on: November 04, 2018, 08:40:09 am »

Kind of a 3d action purplely neon dungeon crawler, possibly dark soulsy, from a couple of years ago. I keep getting it confused with Hyper Light Drifter. I think they had a similar aesthetic and came out around the same time although the one I'm looking for was over the shoulder instead of top down.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: November 04, 2018, 09:11:00 am »

Kind of a 3d action purplely neon dungeon crawler, possibly dark soulsy, from a couple of years ago. I keep getting it confused with Hyper Light Drifter. I think they had a similar aesthetic and came out around the same time although the one I'm looking for was over the shoulder instead of top down.
Over the shoulder? Well then it's not Neon Chrome, which was my first thought with "purpley neon dungeon crawler"...

Furi?

This flash game I played a few years ago, you were a stomping trap in a dungeon that was sentient and enjoyed its job killing people, it had pixelated graphics and had different levels like one where game journalists came to the dungeon and you had to almost kill them to get a good review.
I'm pretty sure I know the one you're talking about, but I don't recall the name of it, sadly.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: November 04, 2018, 10:40:36 am »

Over the shoulder? Well then it's not Neon Chrome, which was my first thought with "purpley neon dungeon crawler"...

Furi?

Not Furi, a little more subdued colors than that. Think it involved running through caves or ravines with a sword, fighting monsters, collecting loot. I think it was rogue-lite-ish with each run being different and separate.

Sorry, I did skim through the steam list from that era, can't find anything. Maybe I'm misremembering. I'm going off vague memories of the release marketing and about 5 minutes of a stream I watched once.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2613 on: November 20, 2018, 09:37:25 am »

I'm trying to remember the name of a text-based browser roleplaying game. You started as a baby, born into a family, and slowly grew up. There were crafting and survival mechanics, but it was heavily focused on role-playing, and it was entirely text-based. I've been searching and searching and can't find it - it's entirely likely that it no longer exists. I don't have a clue what it was called. :(

EDIT: I think I might have been thinking of Cantr, which does still exist, but it seems you start as a 20-year-old, not a baby. I swore there was a slow-paced text-based browser game where you started as a baby, but I can't find one. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:21:53 am by Sappho »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: November 21, 2018, 09:41:12 am »

I'm trying to remember the name of a text-based browser roleplaying game. You started as a baby, born into a family, and slowly grew up. There were crafting and survival mechanics, but it was heavily focused on role-playing, and it was entirely text-based. I've been searching and searching and can't find it - it's entirely likely that it no longer exists. I don't have a clue what it was called. :(

EDIT: I think I might have been thinking of Cantr, which does still exist, but it seems you start as a 20-year-old, not a baby. I swore there was a slow-paced text-based browser game where you started as a baby, but I can't find one. Any ideas?

Faerie Tale Online? Used to be a thing a few years back, think it kind of collapsed. (IIRC the dev did some questionable decisions that hampered it's longevity)  You started as a baby born to player parents and lived a life in sort of a village built by the players in that village.  It was certainly a role playing game, in-character interactions and such.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:42:54 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: November 23, 2018, 06:17:24 pm »

This is a funny coincidence, not sure what game you mean but I just came here to ask if anyone remembered the name of Cantr.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: November 23, 2018, 06:42:58 pm »

Ok this is going to be vage here i only played the demo many years ago.
It wasa fishtperson shooter but a really gore one, solder of fortune one levels of gore.
It is some time around 1999~2000 maybe 01, the demo disks at the after schools clubs computers didn't get updated often.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: November 23, 2018, 07:18:24 pm »

Sure it wasn't just Soldier of Fortune?

System Shock 2 maybe?

Unreal Tournament

Quake III Arena

Timesplitters

Half Life

Turok 2/3
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: November 23, 2018, 07:33:36 pm »

Well lessee... Going from this list of "goriest video games", I see Blood 2 (1998, popular on demo disks), Kingpin: Life of Crime (1999, also showed up on a couple demo disks, but I don't remember it being particularly bloody to be honest), Postal 2 (2003, a bit outside the timeline, and not the most popular distribution, but definitely goretacular)... And that's all I can think of off the top of my head (which is still attached to the rest of it, mind).

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: November 23, 2018, 10:35:51 pm »

Blood II: The Chosen - The Nightmare Levels is the best fit, Mortyr 2093-1944  had came out a month or so befor.
Now on to GOG.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: November 24, 2018, 05:53:34 am »

Aliens versus Predator (1999) had a dismemberment system.

Sin (1998) had a decal system similar to Kingpin, but I don't recall SoF-style dismemberment.

Chasm: The Rift (1997) had enemies you could dismember the arms and heads of.

Soldier of Fortune 2 (2002). Might not be the right year or it might, since demos back then tended to come out before the proper release.

House of the Dead (1998) was an on-rails shooter that had some gore and dismemberment.

Requiem: Avenging Angel (1998) had some gore (I particularly remember a spell that made enemies pulse and spew blood before exploding in gore), but I can't recall if there was any regular dismemberment.

Quake 2 (1997) had some enemies that could lose their heads and a decal system for certain parts of the body for some enemies.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:12:28 am by Virtz »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: November 24, 2018, 02:00:51 pm »

Hmm some time ago i saw an LP of Pokemon i think even in this forum, which started out with a village being burned down and decapitated heads on spikes. Unfortunately i can't find it anymore, checked the play with your bodies forum up and down...can anyone help?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: November 24, 2018, 03:13:16 pm »

Pikasprey did a LP of Pokemon Dusk and Pokemon Dawn, which are basically "Pokemon but zombies!!"  Gorey and gritty and such.
He also LP'd Pokemon Nightmare Invasion which is along the same general lines.
They're RPGMaker stories with action elements.

Then there's romhacks like Pokemon Snakewood or Dark Rising Kaizo which use actual Pokemon mechanics, but make everything really edgy.  I think people died in that game?  It was kinda bad and waaaay padded with long forced trainer battles.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: November 25, 2018, 01:22:19 am »

This flash game I played a few years ago, you were a stomping trap in a dungeon that was sentient and enjoyed its job killing people, it had pixelated graphics and had different levels like one where game journalists came to the dungeon and you had to almost kill them to get a good review.
I'm pretty sure I know the one you're talking about, but I don't recall the name of it, sadly.

That half sounds like Spike - A Love Story. (https://www.kongregate.com/games/Matzerath/spike-a-love-story)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2624 on: November 29, 2018, 06:01:15 am »

Faerie Tale Online? Used to be a thing a few years back, think it kind of collapsed. (IIRC the dev did some questionable decisions that hampered it's longevity)  You started as a baby born to player parents and lived a life in sort of a village built by the players in that village.  It was certainly a role playing game, in-character interactions and such.

That's the one! I knew there was one where you started as a baby born to other players. Thanks so much! I was starting to think I was crazy...
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 203