Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 354769 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2625 on: December 13, 2018, 05:03:35 pm »

Therian Saga? Economies of Scale?

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: December 18, 2018, 02:40:39 pm »

There was this old horror game, 3D graphics, where we played as kid in a dark maze, with a flashlight, and there was a big red monster chasing after us, everytime we encountered it, is sucked some light from the flashlight, until eventually the flashlight dies and so does you. There were puzzles all around the maze that we had to solve in order to keep going. Damm I can't remember the name of the game, somebody help me please!!!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: December 18, 2018, 04:57:34 pm »

Sounds a bit like one of the old Jump Start edutainment games. 4th grade, I think? You were a kid, you were on a dark, maze-like island (I think there was an actual maze as well), a ghost would sometimes attack and threaten to snuff out your candle. You had to solve all sorts of puzzles to advance.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: January 16, 2019, 12:04:24 pm »

Okay, here's something that should be an interesting challenge:

It was an arcade game, with multiple players (I want to say four) all on one massive screen. It was a sort of light gun shooter except the guns were mounted on swivels to allow free aim in most directions. I seem to recall that it was sci-fi themed and everyone had to blast stuff because I think they all shared a health bar.

Oh, and I only saw this game once: at Disney World in Florida, back in 2002 I think it was.
HOLY FUCK MORE THAN FIVE YEARS LATER

I'm still not 100% sure on this but now I'm almost certain it was "Galaxian 3: Attack of the Zolgear". Six players in their own contained room/booth, big-ass screen, guns on swivels, shared health bar, most certainly sci-fi. If it wasn't G3AotZ, then it must have been something incredibly similar.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: January 16, 2019, 12:21:17 pm »

There was this seldom spoken of third person adventure game from the late PS1(?) era. It wasn't Legacy of Kain but it has been compared to it. If I remember right, it was set in a kind of post apocalypse that had regressed people back to using primitive technology and swords; you had artifacts like pre apocalypse guns, and CDs being used as mirrors because nobody knew what they were for.

If I remember right, the plot was that you were a guard that got infected by this kind of werewolf disease. You could transform into a werewolf for difficult sections, but eventually you would, if you abused it, permanently transform, which would change the path of the game and cause most NPCs to go hostile. Your dialogue would also change.

Guns were rare, and were essentially an escape plan for hard fights.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: January 16, 2019, 01:52:42 pm »

Pretty sure it's Dark Earth. You'll probably need a VM with Windows 98/95 to run it on a modern machine, tho.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: January 16, 2019, 01:53:38 pm »

Pretty sure it's Dark Earth. You'll probably need a VM with Windows 98/95 to run it on a modern machine, tho.
Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: January 16, 2019, 02:16:47 pm »

I think I've got an equally-ancient game in mind. Ran on Windows 95. Isometric viewpoint. I think it was an ARPG. In it, you were, I think, falsely-imprisoned. It wasn't a traditional prison, but something more like Gothic or Avernum. I recall grainy graphics and a huge number of trash items you could pick up. Palm fronds, empty tankards, just absolute loads of shit. I don't think I ever found a weapon and I was playing a demo (ancient PC magazines FTW) so I died a lot. I threw the disk away about a year ago because I hadn't touched it in ages and "obviously I'll never play this again."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:21:17 pm by Mephisto »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: January 16, 2019, 06:04:18 pm »

Asymmetric or isometric? I'm trying to imagine an asymmetric perspective that doesn't involve a lot of alcohol.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: January 16, 2019, 07:21:45 pm »

My bad. Isometric. My brain might have gotten ahead of my fingers and combined Isometric and ARPG somehow.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: January 16, 2019, 10:50:52 pm »

Hm, possibly Ultima 6? Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire because of the palm fronds? There's lots of stuff to pick up in those games that has little to no use.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: January 16, 2019, 11:20:33 pm »

Hm, possibly Ultima 6? Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire because of the palm fronds? There's lots of stuff to pick up in those games that has little to no use.

Not Ultima. The game was visually much darker, I don't think you had a party, and screenshots of that game don't appear to really be isometric. Thanks, though.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: January 17, 2019, 01:51:14 am »

Not Ultima. The game was visually much darker, I don't think you had a party, and screenshots of that game don't appear to really be isometric. Thanks, though.

Hm, I can suggest a few others though I'm pretty sure they won't be what you're looking for.

"Albion": Has a lot of things to pick up, though it's not isometric, has a party system and I think you'd remember that for the scifi beginning and jungle theme later.

"Divine Divinity": Again has a lot of stuff to pick up, isometric and no party system but I don't think it's the one because it came out in 2002. You're also not imprisoned in the beginning, though you are restricted to the village until an early dungeon is completed.

"Magic and Mayhem": I'm looking at lists of games from 95 to 2000 and this could be likely.

That's about it, going through release lists on Wikipedia which I wouldn't think are comprehensive.

Also: This is something I asked about a while back. I'll mention it again on the off chance someone knows the game I'm talking about.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: January 17, 2019, 02:06:35 am »

Magic and Mayhem has a very distinctive art style, being claymation, and doesn't have much of anything to pick up. The game's pretty awesome, but I doubt it's the one we're looking for.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: January 17, 2019, 02:42:21 pm »

Best I can think of is Ultima 8. It became full on isometric, there's no party, it's kinda darker, you're trapped in the land of Pagan, and there's loads of clutter. Although I don't recall any palms, and I don't think it had a demo, so it might not be it.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 203