Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 351458 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2640 on: January 17, 2019, 09:39:32 pm »

I'm trying to find a good browser game to waste time in, and I used to play one that stood out in my mind. I think it still runs today, and it was in rounds. There was lots of races to choose from and you had to explore. There was also a market you could buy from and a race that exclusively bought from the market mainly.

What stood out to me was the economy, not only did you have to mine stuff but you had to have industry to produce things with it, which was represented by "industry points" or something, and I remember ship designs were also pretty customizable.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: February 02, 2019, 12:45:35 am »

I'm looking for an old Windows 95/98 era party based first person RPG (like the old Might&Magic, Wizardry or Bards Tale games).
It had a pretty grimdark setting, I think almost Fantasy Warhammer-esque levels of everything-is-screwed.

If I remember correctly the intro showed some fort in a valley getting sieged by monsters and very early (10 minutes into the game or so) there was a door that only opened if you anserwed some riddles (the answers were "a shadow" and/or "a man" I think).

Its neither Stonekeep nor Anvil of Dawn, I still have both of them (though they're similar)
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: February 02, 2019, 12:55:32 am »

Once upon a time, I was reading an LP where somebody was talking about a sort of ultra-realistic military simulation/RPG/strategy hybrid. All I remember was that the level of detail was so high, you couldn't have soldiers of certain Eastern European ethnic groups in the same squad together, because they historically hate eachother. Ring any bells for anybody?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: February 02, 2019, 04:24:26 am »

I'm looking for an old Windows 95/98 era party based first person RPG (like the old Might&Magic, Wizardry or Bards Tale games).
It had a pretty grimdark setting, I think almost Fantasy Warhammer-esque levels of everything-is-screwed.

If I remember correctly the intro showed some fort in a valley getting sieged by monsters and very early (10 minutes into the game or so) there was a door that only opened if you anserwed some riddles (the answers were "a shadow" and/or "a man" I think).

Its neither Stonekeep nor Anvil of Dawn, I still have both of them (though they're similar)
Uh, Thunderscape intro had a fort over a valley being attacked by demons. It would crash on me soon after starting, iirc, so I don't know about any doors.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: February 02, 2019, 05:50:05 am »

I think thats it. The heavy-metal-album-like box art looks really familiar.
I have recently re-re-re-re-played Dungeon Master 2, when I remembered this old game from the same genre and that I had never really finished it, but I just couldn't remember its name no matter how hard I tried.

And its even on GOG.

Thank you very much.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: February 08, 2019, 09:55:42 pm »

ive got both a somewhat obscure one and a very obscure one i need help remembering:

the somewhat obscure one was this warcraft 3 rip off with standard human alliance, beastman clan and these weird psyonic bugs. there's an above ground map and an underground map. individual units could fight and gain experience and high level ones could become leader types with aoe buffs. it was actually pretty decent but wasn't very advertised and it died quickly.

the really obscure one was this starcraft ripoff from way back. there were 3 factions, of course, which was humans, japanese lizardpeople and sort of standard bugs. each faction harvested its own resources with some crossover; like the japanese lizardmen only needed wood and metal, the bugs needed wood and something, and the humans needed metal and something. i bought the game when i was a kid from a computer show when those were still a thing and i remember having fun with it.

oh, both were 3d and the warcraft ripoff had actually fairly decent graphics for its time, like 2005ish? the other starcraft like had crappy 2001ish 3d graphics.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:57:34 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: February 09, 2019, 06:06:35 am »

Hmm, that first one wasn't Armies of Exigo, was it? It says the third faction was undead rather than psibugs, and I never played the full version so I can't say one way or the other. I just remember kobolds with boomerangs.

My first thought for the other one was Alien Nations, but calling the blue folks "lizardmen" is a rather drastic leap... Also it had 2D graphics rather than 3D.

Possibly Conquest: Frontier Wars? Dunno, saw it on the list of released games and now my battery is at 7%, so can't say how close it is.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: February 09, 2019, 06:25:13 am »

Second one is definitely not Conquest: Frontier Wars. C:FW is in space, though the resource dependencies are similar(humans need ore, bugs need crew, gas people need gas).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: February 09, 2019, 08:50:49 am »

ding ding ding, kagus got the first one, i clicked the link and he was right. it was Armies of Exigo. fairly decent game but yeah, it got drowned out by dawn of war.

the second game was a bargain bin special back when lesser studios just spat out games, its not conquest: i remember that game. in conquest, if you played as the humans the starship troopers theme would play sometimes.

im trying to remember other details. i vaguely remember that the japanese lizardman faction can harvest these souls that are left after they kill enemy units. the bugs, if they kill, create an egg they can harvest.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: February 15, 2019, 04:55:51 pm »

Probably shouldn't bee too hard one.  :P
Name is, IIRC, some year number. I wrongly guessed 3078.
First person shooter, in randomly generated (?) world out of cubes. A higher quality textures than minecraft, but i think you can dig\build. I think was wrighten in Java, even.
Begins with you being "paradropped" on some planet and being assaulted (or not, if you steer clear) by some red transparent floating "demons", (which can be killed only with some special weapons, which you don't have). After landing, you are supposed to help one faction of aliens to fight against another. Talk with NPC's, do quests, get bigger guns, the usual. Or you can just shoot people on sight and try to survive as long as you can with all world going after your head.  :P If you die, you respawn in some random point, with all your stuff dropped\deleted.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: February 15, 2019, 06:26:22 pm »

Probably shouldn't bee too hard one.  :P
Name is, IIRC, some year number. I wrongly guessed 3078.

3079, 3089, 4089, or 5089? They're all different takes on the same game universe.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: February 15, 2019, 10:43:41 pm »

I think 3079 specifically has demons and "Demon Smiters", whatever those are.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: February 16, 2019, 10:48:02 am »

Yeah, it was 3079. Didn't knew there were others.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: February 26, 2019, 07:47:47 pm »

Trying to remember something that was a predominantly menu-driven text-based game, available on PC, where you're basically the officers of a colony ship trying to find somewhere to settle down. The assortment of officers you pick at the start influences the availability and success rate of the various events you'll encounter on planets as you... track down the origins of a beacon or something? I remember two points of interest you can reach along the way were a spaceship where the crew decided to basically merge themselves with the shipboard AI, achieving a hivemind pseudo-immortality, and a futuristic utopian planet. Both also functioned as bad-end traps if you failed the events, as your crew could decide to join them, as opposed to continuing on. It was predominantly pixel-art style and I want to say it came out in the last five years or so. I want to say there were also ship upgrade stats involved too.

(Not Seedship, though it was probably an inspiration This has more narrative. Not Out There.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:51:58 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

trying to remember 2 RTS from the late 90's or the 2000's:

-an Space RTS where planets were used as resource spots with structures growing out around them (that's the only lead i seem to recall), aesthetically similar to Starcraft (i think). this one seems to have been around the same age so it was isometric but didnt feature full 3D as say, Homeworld or Galactic Civilizations 1-2?.

-an RTS about some alternate world/time travelling shenanigan where people uses prehistoric beasts as mounts, one faction has dinosaurs, another has ice age animals and the other i cant remember. think there were more than 3 factions but im not sure. (its kinda like a precursor to ARK but in an RTS format)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 12:27:06 am by xaritscin »
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 203