Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 355790 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2745 on: January 19, 2020, 04:49:15 pm »

Unfortunately doesn't seem to be that one.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: January 19, 2020, 05:00:05 pm »

I'm looking for a tactical JRPG. It was a bit like Fire Emblem. Could have been released at any date before 2005. It had aesthetics similar to any old 2D Fire Emblem game. I remember there was an unit with axes (dual wielded, I think) and his attack animation was some kind of a jump and spinning and landing with a slash with his axes. He was wearing green. Honestly I don't remember much. You could customize your main character a bit and upgrade your roster. I remember the axe dude changing his appearance after getting upgraded. He could deal a lot of damage but would miss often.

Shining Force? Not sure it when it was originally released(on the Genesis) but it apparently had a remake in 2004. It's been described as Sega's answer to Fire Emblem; I've not played FE, though. The green guy with the spinning jump attack animation is probably Gort; he and Luke were the only characters that could wield axes if I remember correctly(and have the same animations. Luke is blue).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: January 20, 2020, 01:47:58 pm »

Der Langrisser was another sprite based tactical RPG from the 16-bit era.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: January 25, 2020, 01:19:47 pm »

This one for the lulz, and probably out of scope for this thread.

It was a portable battery operated game. It ran 3 belts with aliens painted on them, and you had a start stop button which you had to press when your 3 cannons were lined up with them (so each gun had 3 aliens above it, 9 total). The game would reveal explosions in some of the aliens, and sometimes on one of your cannons you had to move a slider to cover that cannon to signify that you lost a life, this also made it not possible to shoot the alien above it. You counted your points with a clicker, which had a manual reset button, and if you lost all your gun batteries you lost the game.

I once opened it and it literally was just belts, a couple gears and one or two small electrical motors on a plastic base.

I remember something like about... 25 years ago? It was basically mechanical Space Invaders. Cool little thing.

Edit: And not the ones that keep coming up when you search for 'mechanical Space Invaders' that have the lights either; it was maybe 5x12in?

It was probably that old, or more, I must have been 12 or so back then, so close to 30 years ago. The device was about the size of a large iPad but fatter.

Yeah, those games that keep popping up in my searches which look archaic are like nanotechnology compared to that one.

The closest one in terms of functionality and construction (but not gameplay) is Tomy Toys Digital Derby Auto Raceway, and even that one seems at least 10% more advanced.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:23:23 pm by Sergius »

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: January 30, 2020, 08:44:28 pm »

There was this old 3d CRPG I can't for the life of me remember the name, not very popular, had an early "npc daily routine", and at least two of the characters were, I think, a monk (western, not martial arts) novice who used to be a thief, and a young woman who was a wizard apprentice.

I remember it wasn't all that good, but if I can't remember the name it will absolutely gnaw on my brain until I do.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: January 31, 2020, 02:33:42 am »

There was this old 3d CRPG I can't for the life of me remember the name, not very popular, had an early "npc daily routine", and at least two of the characters were, I think, a monk (western, not martial arts) novice who used to be a thief, and a young woman who was a wizard apprentice.

I remember it wasn't all that good, but if I can't remember the name it will absolutely gnaw on my brain until I do.

Was that the first-person/grid one that had Far Too Many Stats to keep track of, and if you weren't absurdly careful, you'd probably get hypothermia/frostbite in the first five minutes after starting and die from it like ten hours later because you couldn't manage to cure it?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: January 31, 2020, 03:24:00 am »

Was that the first-person/grid one that had Far Too Many Stats to keep track of, and if you weren't absurdly careful, you'd probably get hypothermia/frostbite in the first five minutes after starting and die from it like ten hours later because you couldn't manage to cure it?
Hey I know that one. It's the Realms of Arkania series - or at least the first two games in it, since IIRC they did away with most or all of the travel woes by the third instalment.

But I don't remember any such characters as Felius described, or npc-specific daily routine, so he might be thinking of a different game after all.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: January 31, 2020, 03:52:36 am »

Hey I know that one. It's the Realms of Arkania series - or at least the first two games in it, since IIRC they did away with most or all of the travel woes by the third instalment.

But I don't remember any such characters as Felius described, or npc-specific daily routine, so he might be thinking of a different game after all.

I think the one I was thinking of is slightly newer, had a smaller party, and... I want to say there was a river right near the starting area with your objective on the far side, so, being a game, most people would just walk through the river. And immediately get sick. I think the idea was that you were supposed to die very easily on your first try, which would teach you about the illness mechanics and whatnot so you'd follow the river in either direction until you reached a bridge, but it mostly just made people angry at how the game tried to kill you in a 'cheap' way right off the bat. (Not that I'm actually trying to remember what it was, other than it might help if it IS the game that other people are looking for, in which I have something marginally more interesting to do than to wonder if I'm going to have my travel plans disrupted by coronavirus even more. -_-)

Edit:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 06:51:27 am by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: January 31, 2020, 11:20:57 am »

It was definitely a third person game, and I do recall it being newer than Arkania. I actualy checked those one outs, because the name got a bit familiar, but it wasn't that.

Also, Aoi, get in contact your local embassy if you haven't already. They are probably the best equipped to help and counsel you in this situation.

Edit: Aha! Found it! It was Arcatera The Dark Brotherhood. I knew it had something sounding like "arc" or "ark" in it!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:53:52 am by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: February 11, 2020, 02:08:24 pm »

I'm thinking about this game from the early/mid 90s.
It's a tactical game with team management elements, top-down view, during the american revolution or slightly later.
I remember you could hire soldiers, native guides and possibly non-combat people in your roster.
I also remember you could buy stuff in forts/villages: consumables, weapon upgrades, stuff like glasses or hats for your units.

The title had "fire" in it, but I can't find it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: February 11, 2020, 03:18:13 pm »

I'm thinking about this game from the early/mid 90s.
It's a tactical game with team management elements, top-down view, during the american revolution or slightly later.
I remember you could hire soldiers, native guides and possibly non-combat people in your roster.
I also remember you could buy stuff in forts/villages: consumables, weapon upgrades, stuff like glasses or hats for your units.

The title had "fire" in it, but I can't find it.

The only thing from that time period I can think of that kind of sounds like it, is called Jagged Alliance. It's not anywhere near the american revolution as far as I know, and I don't think there were natives of any sort (but there were guides, or rather "tappers", since you were among other things collecting sap), but otherwise it's a top-down tactical management RPG where you get to hire a whole bunch of people and buy stuff for them from villages. And some of the later sequels did have 'fire' in the subtitle, "Wildfire" and "Crossfire", though they were way into the 2000's.

Honestly, looking through some lists I can't really find any tactical RPG sort of game from the 90's time period that has "fire" in the name, unless it's Fire Emblem. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: February 11, 2020, 04:31:57 pm »

Mystery solved.
The title was War along the Mohawk, known as Fields of Fire in Europe.
It was slightly before the  american revolution, during the french and indian war.
And it came out in 1998.

Pretty bad game by the look of some reviews, but I remember having some good time with it.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:34:08 pm by Ai Shizuka »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: February 13, 2020, 10:52:32 pm »

Hey, longshot: 
Did anyone here play Frequency or Amplitude for the PS2?  A rhythm-music game where you have to play various instruments, swapping between them after 2 scores, otherwise much like guitar hero but for the PS2 controller.

I wonder if there are any modern games like that, where you have to swap instruments to keep the band going.
(the instrument keeps playing for a while if you play its notes correctly)

I know this isn't technically thread-appropriate, but I have earned some credits.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: February 14, 2020, 12:32:26 am »

Hey, longshot: 
Did anyone here play Frequency or Amplitude for the PS2?  A rhythm-music game where you have to play various instruments, swapping between them after 2 scores, otherwise much like guitar hero but for the PS2 controller.

I wonder if there are any modern games like that, where you have to swap instruments to keep the band going.
(the instrument keeps playing for a while if you play its notes correctly)

I know this isn't technically thread-appropriate, but I have earned some credits.

Well... I can answer the only actual question in the post~~!  :P : Yes. In fact, Frequency was one of the games my sister got for the PS2 at time of purchase, and I'm still rather fond of Freezepop.

Oh, and evidently, there's a PS3/4 remake that launched around 2015-16 with new songs, so that might work?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:13:43 am by Aoi »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: February 14, 2020, 03:43:50 am »

Ye olde (but not very) DOS chess-that-is-not. Strictly top-down view, gray-brown color palette. Pieces go in a separate realtime arena when they are attacking each other, you then control yours. HP meters look like blades, with lenght dependent on importance of the piece. Pawns are dieing, knights are running around crazily and try to hit the opponent with their obtuse sideways attack, queen throws fireballs (i thought it was jam back then  :P), king throws clouds of sparkles and is also a slowpoke. Don't remember what bishops and rooks were. Picture for exe was a morningstar.

Not like i want to play this gobshite again, but i'm interested in knowing the name.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:46:28 am by MCreeper »
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 203