Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 355805 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2835 on: January 11, 2021, 05:50:30 am »

Could it be Liferaft Zero ?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: January 11, 2021, 06:01:04 am »

I remember watching review of some trashy 3rd person shooter on youtube. There was an episode when main character was standing at a junction shooting monsters with his flying skull\gun\motorbike buddy and exclaiming "TAKE MY BIG BONER" with every shot. What game was that?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: January 11, 2021, 06:26:31 am »

Could it be Liferaft Zero ?

...I must admit a mild degree of resentment that the gap between post times is less than half the time I spent going through my Flash gaming history trying to find it.

Alternatively: Yes, indeed, and that was fast. ._. Thank you! Now to destroy my keyboard trying to do the last few bonus stages I could never manage.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK. Time to go for a really, really long shot.

There was a game that I played as a kid with my cousins. It was an artillery game that had:

1. hotseat multiplayer (I think up to 2P)
2. played without mouse. keyboard only. we didn't have sound effects or anything either.
3. graphics were black and white and pixellated (like, two-toned. Just black, and white. no gray, this was pre-gray).
4. It was one of the artillery games where you could use money to get special weapons, like nukes and ... acid rain? napalm? something like that. I don't know that it had wind, but you did need to adjust angle and power.
5. It was definitely released before 1997. Probably before 1995.
6. It would have been for some kind of personal computer (i.e. not console) that also let you play Tetris (no music or background of Russian stuff, again, this was an old computer; and you could save a game for your Tetris). There was also a really lousy golf game from first person perspective, with wind and pixelated color graphics.
7. You couldn't move the tanks around once they were placed, just shoot with them. I don't think it left permanent traces of where you had shot previously either, but I could be wrong about that. You might have been able to have more than one tank on your team; not sure.

I don't think it was Scorched Earth, but I could be wrong. Like I said, the graphics were nothing but black, and white.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Most of that made me immediately remember Genocide, except that it's up to 4P, not b/w, and supposedly has sound(I'm testing it right now and the option to toggle it on isn't working). Otherwise, almost every other part of that description fits.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

This may help? I haven't played enough of the old artillery games for any of them to ring a bell, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile

The lack of color and sound are maybe rather due to a lack in the hardware, especially if the game is from the 90's, unless the game was a self programmed copy (e.g. code from a computer magazine).

I remember playing Scorched Earth both with and without colors, and buying nukes, napalm, etc point towards it, but the other things don't really match. The black and white instead of gray-scale point towards something really old (late 70's or early 80's) or a homemade game.

Maybe artillery or artillery 2000 from the late 70's or early 80's? If it was Scorched Earth, it should be easy to recognize from old screenshots.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did you shoot mountain to mountain, or planet to planet?   If the latter, maybe https://archive.org/details/warheads - the last image has some gameplay images.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scorched Earth was also one of those games that a lot of people made their own clones of, so it could easily be one of those.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm... yeah, maybe it was a Scorched Earth clone? Or Scorched Earth, just with minimal effects?

It was definitely mountain to mountain. Mountains: black, artillery: black, sky: white. And it took big old circle-shaped chunks out of the ground. So couldn't have been Artillery or Artillery 2000 from the 70s, those are actually a little bit too pixelated.

I wonder how they would have gotten their hands on it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

So I'm trying to remember a risk-like game with nuclear weapons. You could use strategic nukes to blow up ghe industrial base and tacs to blow up incoming armies.

Any idea on what game it could be? Again, it was sort of Risk-like
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Never played it myself so i don't know if the mechanics are Risk-like, but with the nuke focus and the world territories point of view i see in screenshots that reminds me of a Risk board (but made with neons), could it be the game DEFCON ?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember seeing rules for "Nuclear Risk" in an old Space Gamer magazine.  There was an old boardgame called https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27/supremacy-game-superpowers

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I'm trying to remember a risk-like game with nuclear weapons. You could use strategic nukes to blow up ghe industrial base and tacs to blow up incoming armies.

Any idea on what game it could be? Again, it was sort of Risk-like

Nuclear War?
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 203