Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 356168 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2970 on: October 02, 2022, 10:03:45 pm »

There was a survival game I played a good number of years ago, I think with people on this forum. Survival game, isometric, pixellated art style, free.

I never got far, I just remember fairly early into it you had to get silkworms and mulberries to produce string or rope or something.
Sounds like it could be Haven & Hearth? The older version, specifically -- the current version is 3D.
That looks like the one, thanks. It was doing my head in trying to remember it.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: October 04, 2022, 06:35:27 pm »

Does anybody know the name of a space sandbox mmo that has been in development for something like 20 years or even longer, it had an incredibly archaic website it's still active AFAIK. It was mostly first person but I think there was a whole city / planet management side to it. Oh and it looks like ass I'm talking win98 early 3d... It was mentionned once here but the mods removed it and that user has been inactive since april. When I checked it out there were very few videos of it, mostly of russians, and it was extremly boring to watch.
let

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: October 04, 2022, 07:03:55 pm »

Does anybody know the name of a space sandbox mmo that has been in development for something like 20 years or even longer, it had an incredibly archaic website it's still active AFAIK. It was mostly first person but I think there was a whole city / planet management side to it. Oh and it looks like ass I'm talking win98 early 3d... It was mentionned once here but the mods removed it and that user has been inactive since april. When I checked it out there were very few videos of it, mostly of russians, and it was extremly boring to watch.
100% sounds like Shores of Hazeron. There's a thread for it on the forums here too.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 07:11:29 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: October 04, 2022, 07:50:55 pm »

Absolutely! Thank you :) You wouldn't believe how unfindable it seemed on google... Over here is looks really well known. Huh

Well I might as well try another one then: anybody remember a point and click adventure, around 95-96 or so, with an astronaut on mars, with egyptian themes obelisks and hyroglyphs and stuff, and there was a puzzle with a hoverboard. The graphics were allmost exclusively tones of red and black.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 07:53:38 pm by dragdeler »
let

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: October 05, 2022, 05:56:50 am »

That's all I keep stumbling on and I'm pretty sure that's not it.

It might have been a demo/ extreme redux build but I don't think so, here os what else I remember:

It was on one of the disks that came with our very first computer, or it was preinstalled, it was embedded into some introduction to your computer BS. A win95 laptop IIRC but it might have been win98 as well I was very young, but I think we bought it a VOBIS which was once a huge chain and is now only 7 stores in east germany.

Anyway the game was embedded into some other app, parts of the UI might have been "outside" of the game window, and I think it deliberately had a very small resolution and color palet to fit on the disk and run super smooth on such a machine. The controls were sorta like those 3d tours you had in microsoft encarta, I'm pretty sure it was exactly the same cursor sprites, you know the circle with the 4 arrows. Anyway all red and black, you land on mars, you don't violently crash land, but you do have to gather a few things IIRC, there is a hill that is too slippery and you need to use the hoverboard you found IIRC, I think you have somebody helping you over the radio, but the protagonist might as well have been monologuzing, it's a space game afterall. There might have been some hyroglyphs at some point but near the end of the demo you get to a place with obelisks and buildings and stuff and the thing told you to get the full version, or that the full version was releasing later that year. I remember being completly alone in my surroundings.

I watched the first 20 minutes of cydonya it's kinda similar from the theme, but at the same time not at all the same game I remember.
let

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: October 17, 2022, 08:32:46 am »

My attempts at googling also gave me a game called Martian Memorandum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_Memorandum

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: October 17, 2022, 08:48:59 am »

I saw that too, was tex murphy some book or some tv show? There are quite a few.

I found two titles that might possibly be it, but they're point and click adventures so I suck at them so if the place i want to find is in the game it certainly isn't at the start.

Perry Rhodan: Thoregon die Verbotene Stadt
There is footage of this one I don't think it's the one

And the much rarer Perry Rhodan: Thoregon Brücke zur Unendlichkeit. There is no footage of this game online, I allmost didn't find the game itself either, but then I did stumble on an iso. You start out in his base, so if it's the right game I'm probably hours away from something I'd recognize. I'm frustrated because when I play it I don't see no "encarta cursor" at all. But according to the manual, these cursors are ingame, even if I didn't see them yet. Oh and the miminum specs and release date coincide very much with laptop I remember it playing on.

Mixed results to say the least.
let

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: October 17, 2022, 09:01:27 am »

Do you remember if it ran on DOS? Things like that would narrow it down.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: October 17, 2022, 09:11:59 am »

The way I remember it it was embedded into some "discover your windows" greeting CD. We're talking way less pixels than fullscreen, graphics made of only shades of red, black and white. The Ui was very simple, just a black bar with items on the bottom. And those infamous encarta cursors...

I'm unable to find an image of the mouse cursor, but they packed the manual with the ISO, so you can look at it there if you're willing to download a whole gigabite lol https://legendsworld.net/adventure/game/4615

It's a win95 game that's shy about 32bit colors and demands a whopping 10mb ram... I don't know if it's a "real dos game" but the chances are high.

clarification: the game in the link is what I described in my last paragraph, it's the closest I could find, and the walkthrough does mention pyramids, so for the moment I'm considering it probably was the game in the link, just a super short exert from cd3 or so. I very much would rather play the demo I had as a kid.

Oh an important mention: given how it controlled I'm pretty sure it was a quicktime VR game, or very similar tech.... The game safecracker is a lot like it in terms of control and UI graphics.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 09:18:54 am by dragdeler »
let

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: October 17, 2022, 12:25:12 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcyi7hGqQ48

Was it in here? I presume it wasn't Zac McCraken and the Alien Mindbenders?

And not Mars Saga by Westwood?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 12:33:13 pm by axiomsofdominion »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: October 17, 2022, 12:33:25 pm »

No it was a first person point and click, that sampler looks too awesome I doubt we'd have run that on the laptop ^^
let

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: October 17, 2022, 01:13:59 pm »

No it was a first person point and click, that sampler looks too awesome I doubt we'd have run that on the laptop ^^

So it looks like Bridge To Infinity is the correct game: https://archive.org/stream/PC-Player-German-Magazine-1998-03/PC-Player-1998-03_djvu.txt

The full game takes about 5 minutes to download. It looks like you'd need a native german speaker to find the original demo on google.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: October 17, 2022, 05:39:27 pm »

According to the walkthrough I am far away from seeing pyramids. And no mention of hoverboards. Also even with the walkthrough I got stuck fairly quickly on my first try.

In either case I feel a duty to finish and record a longplay of this, if it doesn't contain what I want to see, maybe I will have to do the other thoregon (verbotene stadt) game too, iirc there are only the first 20 minutes of that online, and eventhough abandonware sites do have screenshots with pyramids, the first 20 minutes look more different there are a bunch of npc around. I am a germanspeaker but this will be timeconsuming. And also I'm not sure how I'll get a 640x480 signal captured without too much hassle.

If I am not satisfied I guess I will just start looking after anything quicktime VR related from that timespan.
let

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: October 19, 2022, 05:27:19 pm »

There was this old MMO style strategy browser game, post-apocalyptic, I think it reset every month? By the time I started playing it there was a grand total of like... ten players. It was called something like Apocalyptic Survival Guide. I remember it having a fairly cartoony graphic style, there was research, a scavenging minigame, and after a certain point your citizens started demanding money which you could only get by selling stuff on the market. One building was called a recycling centre or something along those lines and it was vital because it allowed you to start manufacturing a certain resource that everything used.

I doubt anyone knows what it is, I don't think it was particularly popular game, but it's irritating me. I'd also like to give it a nostalgic go again.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 203