Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 355332 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

I was obsessively playing an RTS one day. I forgot to favorite it and lost it.
It's hexed based movement, browse-based game. I think it's name had "Tribal" in it. It's not PoxNora, it's more medieval.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tribal Wars?
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile

This one is driving me insane, and I can't dig it up by google.

The era was late Win98ish, I think. (Could be early XP.) It was a three-dimensional fantasy flight combat game, with the usual thin premise of a story of a tournament. There were several types of characters to play, though you could only play as dragons initially. Most of the missions were simple deathmatch, were some CTF(maybe) and definitely some tag (as in the child's game, not tag-team) missions. There were munitions and magics, the least spell for dragons being simple dragonsbreath, gradually consuming your magic. You could buy additional weapons (each variety of combatant had six) and upgrade their power.

You could get a loan from a loan shark, as the bottom option on the menu of about 5.

The dragon-riders were the average characters of the bunch. There were the dwarves (may misname other factions) who flew about in slow but heavily-armored dirigibles, with more tech-based weapons, and gnomes who flew about on fragile swans/geese that had powerful magic.

Anyone? Heeelp?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was a turn based strategy game, it is rather unknown, that involved fantasy and modern themes (orcs and such invading modern Earth).

There was a strategic map, separated into provinces/territories/whatever, each contained a mission or something, you started in one.

There was tactical battle as well, isometric, you commanded human troops and vehicles, you could entrench your soldiers (each turn, a yellow dot would appear beneath the troop, displaying level of entrenchment, which gave it a boost to defense; each time it was attacked, a dot was taken away, there were 5 dots at max). Orcs had powerful units like Ka-Orc, catapults and stuff, while humans had riflemen, jeeps and stuff.

The game I played was a demo, in the Win95-98-ish era, I haven't found it again since then.

Oh, there was also technology, research stuff, for example infantry armor (bullet-proof vests didn't do too well against orc axes, so they had to develop new armor) etc., think it had a big research tree. Developing new technology to help survive the orcs was something exciting.

I think it had German origins, I'm not sure, the one I played was in English, but credits and such had German-like names.

Help me find this game!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was a turn based strategy game, it is rather unknown, that involved fantasy and modern themes (orcs and such invading modern Earth).

There was a strategic map, separated into provinces/territories/whatever, each contained a mission or something, you started in one.

There was tactical battle as well, isometric, you commanded human troops and vehicles, you could entrench your soldiers (each turn, a yellow dot would appear beneath the troop, displaying level of entrenchment, which gave it a boost to defense; each time it was attacked, a dot was taken away, there were 5 dots at max). Orcs had powerful units like Ka-Orc, catapults and stuff, while humans had riflemen, jeeps and stuff.

The game I played was a demo, in the Win95-98-ish era, I haven't found it again since then.

Oh, there was also technology, research stuff, for example infantry armor (bullet-proof vests didn't do too well against orc axes, so they had to develop new armor) etc., think it had a big research tree. Developing new technology to help survive the orcs was something exciting.

I think it had German origins, I'm not sure, the one I played was in English, but credits and such had German-like names.

Help me find this game!
Might it be Spellcross?

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

Tribal Wars?
Nope. The graphicssssss weren't that good when I had played it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:59:30 pm by Jack_Bread »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This one is driving me insane, and I can't dig it up by google.

The era was late Win98ish, I think. (Could be early XP.) It was a three-dimensional fantasy flight combat game, with the usual thin premise of a story of a tournament. There were several types of characters to play, though you could only play as dragons initially. Most of the missions were simple deathmatch, were some CTF(maybe) and definitely some tag (as in the child's game, not tag-team) missions. There were munitions and magics, the least spell for dragons being simple dragonsbreath, gradually consuming your magic. You could buy additional weapons (each variety of combatant had six) and upgrade their power.

You could get a loan from a loan shark, as the bottom option on the menu of about 5.

The dragon-riders were the average characters of the bunch. There were the dwarves (may misname other factions) who flew about in slow but heavily-armored dirigibles, with more tech-based weapons, and gnomes who flew about on fragile swans/geese that had powerful magic.

Anyone? Heeelp?
I can't think of a game fulfilling all of the mentioned, but among dragon controlling games, there's DragonStrike (probably closest match) and Dragon Castle.

Skibiliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2009, 01:08:35 am »

2001-2004
I played a PC demo that had a futuristic setting and you could play as 4 players, I think 1-2 girls and rest humans, One of them I THINK was a cyborg, all of them had a pistol and a machinegun(?).
Squad-based control and you could switch between all of them.
3D game and FPS
It's not Star wars, Star trek or Stargate based
I have a memory image of the teammates and the gaming area being a whole lot of yellow.
PS: Playing mass effect has blurred my memories of this, I am not 100% sure about weaponry.
GENERATION 10:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2009, 07:51:32 am »

2001-2004
I played a PC demo that had a futuristic setting and you could play as 4 players, I think 1-2 girls and rest humans, One of them I THINK was a cyborg, all of them had a pistol and a machinegun(?).
Squad-based control and you could switch between all of them.
3D game and FPS
It's not Star wars, Star trek or Stargate based
I have a memory image of the teammates and the gaming area being a whole lot of yellow.
PS: Playing mass effect has blurred my memories of this, I am not 100% sure about weaponry.
Closest thing I can think of is Project Eden.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2009, 10:13:23 am »

Alright, it was a PC game where you control a good 50 medieval fighters in a top-down perspective. All i remember is there were archers with some boulders as cover in one of the rather large maps.

Dunno what else though.

Fantasy Empires maybe?

Lots of fantasy races to control from top-down, castle sieges, adventuring heroes, fun stuff!

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2009, 03:39:32 pm »

Alright, I'll give this one a shot.

This was a game made by a man who was a fan of the Golden Box SSI games of the late 80's-early 90's. He had it on a website where he had a walk-through and tips on Pool of Radiance and his two Victory's in ADOM.

This game was awesome, it was like Pool of Radiance, but it was futuristic and set in space. It had random encounters, turn based combat, aliens, and chainsaws. All in a browser (I think he did it in Java) and you could even save your game.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2009, 04:46:01 pm »

This is less of a "forgot the name" and more of a "where the hell can I find it?".

There's a classic Commodore 64 game me and my sister used to play like mad back in the day called "Castle Hassle", it was like a duel between castles with RPG-like elements to it or something; and the goal of it was to destroy the other player's castle using elements like lightning and water and such.

If I'm not mistaken, I think it was in a Compute's Gazette collection, but I don't know which volume it was. What's worse, I don't think I could find it anyway. I think I even went on to find a torrent of such a collection, and it wasn't complete. I think I scoured the whole thing several times, and no luck.

Maybe I overlooked it. But it still bugs me to this day. Why can't I find it?

EDIT:
...And I feel like a moron.

Thanks Captain Hat.

Oh, the memories... Thanks again. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:56:29 pm by Itnetlolor »

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2009, 07:53:41 pm »

http://cbmfiles.com/genie/C64GamesListing.html

Search for CASTLE HASSEL with your browser.

Skibiliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GENERATION 10:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 203