Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 356078 times)

Skibiliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game pops in my mind randomly, and I sometimes want to play it, but I don't know the name.
Year was 2000-2004
I played the demo of a game where you.. built obstacles/turrets?
You could build blocks and walls so that they stacked.
I think you had robots you could control
It was an arena like game, you could buy and place walls and such there before the match.
The color scheme was blue/white
It had money
GENERATION 10:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Skibiliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds a touch like Nexagon.
Did not sound, It is that! Thank you very much!
GENERATION 10:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile

hahaha i used to play syndicate on the amiga :D took me forever to conquer the atlantic accelerator though. the Ms-Dos version is availible here http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/90/Syndicate.html it is compatible with DOSBOX :) i has it :P
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

sadly, like most games, the dos version looks nowhere near as nice as the amiga or ST version.

the atlantic acelerator was all about packing as many lasers as you could carry, and vaporizing everything in sight.

I never got very far in American Revolt.  that was a HARD expansion.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember an old free/shareware game. You had a wizard who had a random selection of spells and could summon things. As you cast spells and summoned things, you became more good/evil. You have a failure rate at summoning some things, but the more good/evil you are, the more likely you are to be successful at summoning a really powerful good/evil creature.

Also, you could summon illusions that always succeed and fight like the real thing, but if the other wizard spends a turn casting True Sight on the illusion, it disappears.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was obsessively playing an RTS one day. I forgot to favorite it and lost it.
It's hexed based movement, browse-based game. I think it's name had "Tribal" in it. It's not PoxNora, it's more medieval.

Could it be http://www.travian.com/?

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile

well there is www.tribal-wars.net but i dont think it's hexagonal though.
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember an old free/shareware game. You had a wizard who had a random selection of spells and could summon things. As you cast spells and summoned things, you became more good/evil. You have a failure rate at summoning some things, but the more good/evil you are, the more likely you are to be successful at summoning a really powerful good/evil creature.

Also, you could summon illusions that always succeed and fight like the real thing, but if the other wizard spends a turn casting True Sight on the illusion, it disappears.

I remember this game!  I do not remember the name, though.  I do remember that it was written in Java (when I played it).  Oh, and I think it was law/chaos, not good/evil.

Edit:  Holy crap, I just found it.  The name is "Chaos".  Wikipedia link.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:37:41 am by Malicus »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile

hahaha i used to play syndicate on the amiga :D took me forever to conquer the atlantic accelerator though. the Ms-Dos version is availible here http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/90/Syndicate.html it is compatible with DOSBOX :) i has it :P

I think I first got my hands on that game a full four years after it was released or something.

The atlantic accelerator was murder. I'd never seen so many enemy agents in one place.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2009, 04:39:41 am »

And no explosive weapons to help take out a concentrated foe, I'm guessing?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2009, 04:41:29 am »

Lasers, and a few gauss guns, but up to that point I was relying entirely on miniguns and long-range, so... yeah.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2009, 06:07:38 am »

There was this wizard game on SNES (possibly Genesis, but I'm almost certain it was SNES). It was isometric and had gore, I swear it did! You'd engage the enemies on the isometric game area, but the combat would move to a first person turn based RPG affair, and upon killing the enemy their corpse would match their method of dispatch (a pile of ashes if burned to death, etc).

I can't really describe it well because I barely remember. The first room is small and has a book on a table and a giant worm comes out of a hole and kills you at some point.
It differs from your description on a few points, but are you looking for The Immortal?
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2009, 06:13:58 am »

There was this wizard game on SNES (possibly Genesis, but I'm almost certain it was SNES). It was isometric and had gore, I swear it did! You'd engage the enemies on the isometric game area, but the combat would move to a first person turn based RPG affair, and upon killing the enemy their corpse would match their method of dispatch (a pile of ashes if burned to death, etc).

I can't really describe it well because I barely remember. The first room is small and has a book on a table and a giant worm comes out of a hole and kills you at some point.
It differs from your description on a few points, but are you looking for The Immortal?

That definitely sounds like The Immortal. Which is supposedly a very good game. I actually have it, but I can't really figure out the PC controls as it was made in the days of joysticks and Amigas

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2009, 04:38:11 am »

There are two games I'm trying to find again.  Both were games I played on school computers many years ago, so they are either for DOS or Apple ][.

In one of them, you are at some kind of hotel, I seem to recall it being a western sort of theme.  You are trying to figure out what happened to a large amount of gold, which has disappeared.  You went around talking to people to gather information on who may have stolen it and where it might be hidden.

The other was a simple game where you are a mouse running around a maze of rooms, in which there are cats roaming around.  The rooms were made up of open floor, items, blocks, and the cats of course (which were just a head, if I remember correctly).  There were old DOS-style tile graphics.  I think the goal was to escape the maze without being eaten by the cats, after which I believe you entered yet another, more difficult maze, and so on.

I wish I could remember more details.  Any ideas as to what these games are and what they're called?

Edit: I found one of them!  It's called Mice Maze and can be had from Soleau Soft if anyone else is interested in having a go.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 07:13:00 am by Sappho »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 203