Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 354596 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

@Kagus:
There's no price of buy button displayed at all. No obvious way to purchase it. I can see reviews from as late as January, though.
And since you have it as available, would it mean it's region-locked? (but then again, aren't we both in the EU?)

That's... Really odd. And technically I'm not actually in the EU, because of Norway's halfway agreement due to not wanting to give the Union any of our money, so maybe it is just a regional thing... Can't imagine why though.

I used to have Dragon Age in my wishlist and it had no price listed, for some reason.
(Now I have "2" items in my wishlist, but only one listed, so who knows with Steam)

I found the first Kohan back in the day because it had a linux release and demo.  I replayed it relatively recently and still love the economic system.
The squad system was really remarkable though.  I wonder if it was an inspiration for Dawn of War/Company of Heroes, or if it was inevitable that another company would realize that controlling units individually isn't necessarily fun or sensical.

I only played a little bit of 2, but mostly due to real life time constraints.  The interface changed a lot, but I have no idea if it's better or worse.  1 has a pretty clean and intuitive interface (considering its ambitious mechanics for an RTS) and I very much enjoyed beating the whole game once.

Story was pretty neat too.  Immortals!  Amnesia!  Intrigue!

Well, Total War had squad-based RTS combat before Kohan, and Shadow of the Horned Rat had it before Total War. Nobody's had Kohan's mix-and-match composition though, and that was, like, half the fun.

I think Kohan 2 suffered a bit from the change over to 3D, mainly. And the story's writing and acting both left a lot to be desired... As for actual game mechanics, I can't really say... I mean, I thought physically representing buildings inside the walls of the cities was pretty neat, but I can understand the gameplay issues that can arise from not having that system get balanced properly.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Oh my bad, I always forget how old the original DoW is.  Maybe due to how polished DoW Dark Crusade is, heh.
I really should have remembered Shadow of the Horned Rat, since I did play it.  It's a tactical RTS but it definitely counts.  I didn't get far, though.  It has the Homeworld/Fire Emblem problem where you never know whether you've won a costly victory, or doomed your entire playthrough to a vicious cycle.

Edit:  I'm dumb and thought you said Dawn of War, not Total War.  Dawn of War came out 3 years after Kohan, which came out about a year after Shogun Total War.  Which I actually hadn't heard of... I always thought Medieval was the first one, which came after after Kohan.

Sorry for pointless ramble :P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:39:13 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually enjoyed Kohan II, which I have the original CD of(somewhere). Kinda wish the studio hadn't gone under, and had made more.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is a multiplayer game where it was mostly top/down or 1.5 view and you would go into a lobby, team up with a group of 4, and then go into a dungeon and have to complete a certain number of floors to win the level. When you played you collected materials that could be deposited in a bank, and the types of dungeons that would appear the following week were dependent on how many of each material were deposited server-wide. You could get new guns and stuff using materials you collected as well.

I'm pretty sure "knights" was in the name of the game.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I continued Google-Fuing and after a Google search of "mmo dungeon beat em up knights materials" I found another "what's the name of this game" thread on a different forum which revealed the game to be Spiral Knights
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:24:41 am by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

An asian-themed RTS with 3d models from early 2000s.

I don't remember much, besides the fact that main resource seemed to be rice. Also, you only made peasants; to get military units, you had to get those peasants to train in specific military buildings.

I think it was clan-based, or at least the campaign had various clans in it. The main dude you controlled was the son of the local king or something like that.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Hotfire90

An asian-themed RTS with 3d models from early 2000s.

I don't remember much, besides the fact that main resource seemed to be rice. Also, you only made peasants; to get military units, you had to get those peasants to train in specific military buildings.

I think it was clan-based, or at least the campaign had various clans in it. The main dude you controlled was the son of the local king or something like that.

That's Battle Realms.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

Oh man, this is it!

That's why I love y'all so much <3
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Battle Realms is available on GOG, by the by. I've got the social version myself, as I spent a lot of happy hours on the game in my youth.

On the plus side, it comes packaged with the expansion pack, which I'd never played before the GOG version. On the minus side, they fixed the glitch with getting infinite yin points for attacking water...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those features reminded me of Dragon Throne: Battle for Red Cliffs, essentially a RTS version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Shame it hasn't aged well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

That, and it wasn't 3D. Also rice wasn't a resource, only corn and pigs (which you could somehow make wine out of... ancient Chinese magic, I tell you hwat). And so far as I remember, wasn't clan-based.

That game did have some fun stuff though, I actually quite liked the necessity of setting up supply lines. Sieges were pretty neat too, what with the big fancy walls you could stand on, and siege weapons that included gliders that you'd use to launch your troops over said big fancy walls...

The heroes were... interesting. I wouldn't say balanced, and I wouldn't say comprehensible, but definitely interesting. Especially those ultra-rare sorcerer types with the leech life ability that resulted in a unique death animation.

What's funny is that there are 3-4 clones of the game with vaguely different names, but identical graphics, mechanics and even cheat codes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Ancient alcohol magic in general, apparently. Seems blood and bone can be used as part of the wine making process. *mumbles something about battles and knowing*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That wouldn't be Outer Wilds was it? I know that was one where you had a short time before the sun exploded.

Here's the link.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was it!

Probably not really going to play it, may watch a video or something. It was just bugging me to hell and back.

Cheers.

Oddly enough I was thinking about it a few days ago for some reason.

Google400

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Online game where you are frog that's put in a dungeon and has to make a potion that gives the king immortality, the ingredients that you use are mostly based on RNG. The game whas probably built on flash or silverlight.
When people call you a idiot, remember, no matter the importance of the person... they're fucking right.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Open source RPG game. Kind of seeks to emulate diablo, very simple 3d graphics. Module based
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 203