Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 351390 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2700 on: September 01, 2019, 02:11:51 am »

I remember seeing a game about how you inherited a broken kingdom from....someone... and have to work to build it up from poverty. It had cartoonish graphics.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: September 01, 2019, 06:02:23 am »

I remember seeing a game about how you inherited a broken kingdom from....someone... and have to work to build it up from poverty. It had cartoonish graphics.
Regalia?

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: September 06, 2019, 10:01:55 pm »

There are two games I am suddenly trying to remember, any help would be greatly appreciated.  They are both persistent multiplayer RTS games of a sort.

First game:  This is a vaguely japanese-ey sci fi game.  It had various factions (circa five-ish) which you could spawn in as a member of.  You would start out as your own small star empire, and you and many other such empires would work to further your own sides goals.  You could build spacecraft to colonize worlds, develop tech, harvest resources, and build big spaceships to try to fight the other empires for resources and land.  You would have a small 'home sector' of planets that nobody but you could gain access to, giving you a small area to yourself that the other empires couldn't take from you.  This also meant that each faction had a certain minimum degree of industrial capacity available to them.  I vaguely recall that at one point the blue faction was pushed into a tiny corner and was almost totally dependent on these mini regions in order to hold onto any of their planets at all.  At some point after that, there was a reset, where the empires got to keep any planets they took in their home regions, so us (the pink guys) launched a huge offensive on the guys to the east of us, hugely overextended, them gobbled up a bunch of their land on the reset before they could push us back.  Funnily enough the reset happened later than expected, but we were actually having fairly good success at holding the land regardless.  There was some implication that probably our side could have done that all along and gotten away with it.

It had a big map of planets connected by little hyperlane things, with various large regions connected by choke points.  Bashing your way through a chokepoint was generally a pretty strategically significant thing that could end a months-long stalemate.

The actual ship combat I only vaguely remember.  I seem to recall there were 'tiers' of ship stacks that would shoot at eachother over fairly prolonged periods of time.

One of the distinctive visual features is that it had a client which had 3d spaceships shooting eachother for its main menu screen, but all of the actual game was basically 2d sprite graphics.  I was never a huge contributor to the side I was playing with, but I still fairly fondly remember it, even if only vaguely.

Second Game: This one is a lot more obscure, its basically a conventional RTS game (you build a factory, you build resource extractors, you fabricate units and tech up).  Main unique factor is its quite persistent.  It was always a fairly low population game, and it had this one player who was just this absolute world spanning hegemony.  You would always spawn in in your own tiny corner of the map, build up units, and then vaguely struggle to try to take resource points from him without drawing his ire.  It was hated by many people because of this OP individual, but I always found it to be pretty enjoyable every time I tried it out because of how brutally asymmetrical it was.  Particularly the fact that there were always a few players around having long term success in escaping this guys notice.  I never succeeded at that myself but kindof wanted to at least check if anyone remembered the name.  I think it had 'planet' in the name maybe.

e: If it helps, I most likely heard of both of these games through this board.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:05:42 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: September 30, 2019, 01:18:42 am »

Regalia?

Yes it was! Thank you. Now to read reviews and see if it's actually as good as it looked.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: September 30, 2019, 03:35:04 am »

There are two games I am suddenly trying to remember, any help would be greatly appreciated.  They are both persistent multiplayer RTS games of a sort.

Were either of them Shattered Galaxy? I barely remember it, but given that there aren't that many persistent MMORTSes out there, any of them have a decent shot at being right...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

nautilu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: September 30, 2019, 05:07:19 am »

This one was a strategy game I found somewhere on abandonia or homeoftheunderdogs or some similar site. It was maybe a 90's game where you chose a leader and that affected your playstyle. Like trolls recruited troll armies from ruins, liches recruited from old graveyards, knights bought armies in towns. It was mostly just explore a random world full of monsters and towns until you became ruler somehow. It had Civ 1 like graphics.
There were like 30-40 different leaders to choose from and options on what kind of world to play in.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: September 30, 2019, 09:06:59 am »

Conquest of Elysium II (the first one, which is linked there) is the best one. Dunno what it is about the later titles in the series (perhaps a bit too much influence from Dominions? Dunno), but they've all seemed a bit flat and not as mysterious and fantastic as CoE2.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: September 30, 2019, 05:14:52 pm »

Were either of them Shattered Galaxy? I barely remember it, but given that there aren't that many persistent MMORTSes out there, any of them have a decent shot at being right...

Sadly it is not either, though it looks interesting.  Thanks for taking a shot at it.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: October 17, 2019, 04:33:55 pm »

Im looking for a considerably older forum game not native to bay 12 that I was wanting to read back through as it was quite entertaining however im having a hard time finding it and was hoping someone could help. The main issue im facing is i do not know which forum this game was hosted on however i vividly remember the subject matter. It was a Arms Race style game with a planet in rebellion against some sort of galactic government and all of the players proposed designs for the galactic government side, not a particularly innovative or new premise though it stood out because whoever ran the game was capable of drawing some really stunning art to accompany the game drawing out different scenes and key events with almost his every post. One of the defining moments of the game was when the rebels unleashed some sort of psychic bio weapon within a hospital and the players tactically nuked it from orbit the drawn seen showed the destruction wreaked upon that area as the player side soldiers looked on. Other then that time frame wise i would say around seven years ago is when i found this game through a link here on Bay 12 though i had a different account and user name at the time so i cant look through past post ive made to find it that way. The most accurate time frame i can give is when Evil Lincoln a user here was making forum games accompanied by illustrations as well i found this link in the time frame when he was still making and running his games. Anyhow sorry for the wall of text and if anyone could help me find this id really appreciate it.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: October 18, 2019, 03:01:24 am »

Have you tried using the advanced search feature (click the magnifying glass) specifying your old username and trying a common search term that likely occured in the post?  (Unfortunately 'the' is unacceptable, but 'game' and presumably 'forum' are fine.  With a bit of luck/time you might stumble across the old post...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: October 23, 2019, 02:44:32 am »

Hey guys, I remember seeing this game a few years back which I never had the chance to play but which really caught my interest and that I still think of from time to time.
Pretty sure it's faded into obscurity by now considering I haven't seen nor heard anything about it in so long, but I think it might have been more of an experiment in game design than anything, anyway.

Basically there were multiple small teams of players with various objectives, usually (always?) involving the retrieval of briefcase-shaped MacGuffins from other groups.
Now the basic idea was that players could just go for a simple, bloodless handover, but from what I saw it rarely worked out that way, and for such occasions players had access to a variety of... well I'm pretty sure there was a variety of weapons, but there were at least pistols, as well as vehicles, and any interaction with other factions was a very tense experience as everyone waited to see if a shootout and/or car chase would break out.

Graphics were quite basic 3D, first-person unless you were in a vehicle, with boxy blank-faced characters looking kinda like the mutant offspring of Canabalt's characters and something outta Minecraft.
Don't really remember much else, just that the map was of a decent size and urban, with plenty of buildings to have backup waiting in, or snipers on top of.

Someone probably guessed what it was a few lines in, haha, I just have no idea what to search for to find it! Hopefully there's still at least someone out there playing it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: October 23, 2019, 03:48:29 am »

Someone probably guessed what it was a few lines in,
"Sub Rosa"

Looks like they've updated the graphics quite a bit compared to the old days, I wonder what else has changed... Also, "at the request of the publisher, Sub Rosa is unlisted and will not appear in search". I wonder what the heck that's about, did they discontinue it? There's a 12% sale going on, that'd be awfully weird...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: October 23, 2019, 05:06:57 am »

Ahh, thanks Kagus!
Yeah, that is weird. They put out an update two days ago! From the reviews it sounds like they've been having a lot of "toxicity" issues with the community, so maybe unlisting it was an extreme step to try and lessen that? Who knows.

I kinda wanna buy it immediately but I don't know if I could even run it - it does indeed look very different from my vague, lo-fi recollections of it.

Edit: oh wait, it says in the early access notes that it's currently "in alpha and in a 'hidden' Early Access phase to limit the player count as changes are made for testing with a small community". So, I guess that explains it! Man, I can't wait to witness this clustertruck for myself.   
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:19:06 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 203