Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 351415 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2730 on: December 26, 2019, 02:45:16 pm »

Ah yes, the ancient and specific history of... Calradia.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: December 27, 2019, 09:47:40 am »

Given that Mordhau's armory is cobbled together from all manner of eras, im sure its caused some controversy among diehard HEMA peeps.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: January 12, 2020, 02:39:54 am »

So there is this old browser based game (that admittedly is probably long dead) which was this top down 2d quasi-multiplayer space game.  (I say quasi because only some areas had multiplayer).  There were a variety of ship hulls you could buy and/or customize, and you could trade and chat with other people.  It also had a few very specific PVP multiplayer areas, and everywhere else had relatively little actual fighting.  e: A friend mentioned that it also had smuggling, which sounds right to me.

There was this map that started mainly in the bottom left, with this space station there (which was invulnerable, but you could choose to try to fight it and die to it if you wanted, which was hilarious).  Said station was part of some earth-centered faction if I do recall, which had a round logo that involved a lot of silver/gray and blue.

At some point it started having issues with cheaters, so the dev shut it down and started working on a refactor that he then never finished.  I don't really know of its status now but kindof wanted to at least try to figure out its name if possible.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 02:45:05 am by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: January 13, 2020, 11:06:59 am »

Looking for a small game that was similar to Starsector. It had a similar top down view where you started with one spaceship and eventually got both more and bigger ships, while fighting increasingly difficult enemies. I think it was entirely centered around combat, or at least I don't remember anything else.

Probably played it two or three years ago, at which point it was still in development.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: January 13, 2020, 03:11:48 pm »

Looking for a small game that was similar to Starsector. It had a similar top down view where you started with one spaceship and eventually got both more and bigger ships, while fighting increasingly difficult enemies. I think it was entirely centered around combat, or at least I don't remember anything else.

Probably played it two or three years ago, at which point it was still in development.

That's not a whole lot to go on, but I'm going to take a stab and guess Space Pirates and Zombies?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: January 13, 2020, 03:56:01 pm »

SPAZ was released in 2011 (oh god what), so probably not that.

But yeah, not a whole lot to go on there...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: January 13, 2020, 04:20:30 pm »

The sequel would fit that timeline. SPAZ 2 is a bit more arcadey, if I recall correctly.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: January 14, 2020, 12:08:19 pm »

I'm not sure what Starsector is like exactly, but I am currently playing an in-development (and free) game called Endless Sky. You start as one ship and eventually acquire more, and it's a classic sort of top-down "space trading and combat game" that I honestly really missed. Flying between starsystems, doing ferry work, trading, fighting pirates and whatnot, all the classic fun stuff.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: January 14, 2020, 10:46:32 pm »

In all due honesty that is one of my favorite games.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: January 18, 2020, 01:59:44 pm »

This one for the lulz, and probably out of scope for this thread.

It was a portable battery operated game. It ran 3 belts with aliens painted on them, and you had a start stop button which you had to press when your 3 cannons were lined up with them (so each gun had 3 aliens above it, 9 total). The game would reveal explosions in some of the aliens, and sometimes on one of your cannons you had to move a slider to cover that cannon to signify that you lost a life, this also made it not possible to shoot the alien above it. You counted your points with a clicker, which had a manual reset button, and if you lost all your gun batteries you lost the game.

I once opened it and it literally was just belts, a couple gears and one or two small electrical motors on a plastic base.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: January 18, 2020, 06:15:39 pm »

This one for the lulz, and probably out of scope for this thread.

It was a portable battery operated game. It ran 3 belts with aliens painted on them, and you had a start stop button which you had to press when your 3 cannons were lined up with them (so each gun had 3 aliens above it, 9 total). The game would reveal explosions in some of the aliens, and sometimes on one of your cannons you had to move a slider to cover that cannon to signify that you lost a life, this also made it not possible to shoot the alien above it. You counted your points with a clicker, which had a manual reset button, and if you lost all your gun batteries you lost the game.

I once opened it and it literally was just belts, a couple gears and one or two small electrical motors on a plastic base.

I remember something like about... 25 years ago? It was basically mechanical Space Invaders. Cool little thing.

Edit: And not the ones that keep coming up when you search for 'mechanical Space Invaders' that have the lights either; it was maybe 5x12in?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:39:34 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: January 18, 2020, 10:13:37 pm »

There's a game I had in the early 00s that was a helicopter flight simulator. Specifically, the only vehicle simulated was an MH-60 Jayhawk, and you played as a Coast Guard pilot running various rescue missions. It was a properly hardcore flight sim as well, at least to the extent that a helicopter sim could manage in the early 00s. Being a child, I wasn't very good at it, but I at least managed to be good enough to occasionally succeed at the missions.

I'm not sure what I could say to really differentiate the game from others, but I remember there being a ship that could be landed on or could even sink on one of the missions as well as the game simulating rotor wash making people in the water drown faster.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:15:15 pm by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: January 19, 2020, 08:13:51 am »

So there is this old browser based game (that admittedly is probably long dead) which was this top down 2d quasi-multiplayer space game.  (I say quasi because only some areas had multiplayer).  There were a variety of ship hulls you could buy and/or customize, and you could trade and chat with other people.  It also had a few very specific PVP multiplayer areas, and everywhere else had relatively little actual fighting.  e: A friend mentioned that it also had smuggling, which sounds right to me.

There was this map that started mainly in the bottom left, with this space station there (which was invulnerable, but you could choose to try to fight it and die to it if you wanted, which was hilarious).  Said station was part of some earth-centered faction if I do recall, which had a round logo that involved a lot of silver/gray and blue.

At some point it started having issues with cheaters, so the dev shut it down and started working on a refactor that he then never finished.  I don't really know of its status now but kindof wanted to at least try to figure out its name if possible.

Sounds kinda like Pardus, or maybe Tardus, I think it was called. Made by some Austrian fellow/team I believe. Had a lot of laughs pretending to be Albanian and making up bullshit lyrics for the national anthem on the chatboards of that one, for whatever random reason  :D

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: January 19, 2020, 02:24:04 pm »

I was thinking it was Pardus at first, but it's not. Played that about a decade ago for a few years before realizing how much I hated it. I just checked and it's still running.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: January 19, 2020, 04:40:02 pm »

I'm looking for a tactical JRPG. It was a bit like Fire Emblem. Could have been released at any date before 2005. It had aesthetics similar to any old 2D Fire Emblem game. I remember there was an unit with axes (dual wielded, I think) and his attack animation was some kind of a jump and spinning and landing with a slash with his axes. He was wearing green. Honestly I don't remember much. You could customize your main character a bit and upgrade your roster. I remember the axe dude changing his appearance after getting upgraded. He could deal a lot of damage but would miss often.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 203