Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 355347 times)

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile

I'm looking for a old (pre-2000, I think it came on several disks, not a CD) strategy game. It was a single player only RTS as far as I remember.

It was modern day with tanks and stuff, but I don't think it had air units. There was no base building, instead units were bought for money and then delivered via airdrop.
The maps had several towns on them that you had to take control of to get money, which could be done by bombing them into submission with your units (fast, but reduced produced money) or drive some sort of propaganda truck into them (slower but higher payouts).

Graphics were pretty meh even for the day (probaby like the first Command&Conquer, though it was 2 or so years newer)
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking for a old (pre-2000, I think it came on several disks, not a CD) strategy game. It was a single player only RTS as far as I remember.

It was modern day with tanks and stuff, but I don't think it had air units. There was no base building, instead units were bought for money and then delivered via airdrop.
The maps had several towns on them that you had to take control of to get money, which could be done by bombing them into submission with your units (fast, but reduced produced money) or drive some sort of propaganda truck into them (slower but higher payouts).

Graphics were pretty meh even for the day (probaby like the first Command&Conquer, though it was 2 or so years newer)

Sounds like Ground Control 1, except I don't think you bought units in that, but the graphics were meh.
Ground Control 2 you bought units but the graphics were definitely better.

But don't remember a propaganda truck either so probably a different game

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds absolutely nothing like Ground Control.

I want to say it sounds familiar, but I can't quite remember what it was though.

PRE-EDIT: Could it be Conflict Zone? The wiki page for that mentions propaganda.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile

Its not Ground Control, I still have that one.

It might be Conflict Zone. I could have sworn it was older then 2001 and sprites instead of clumsy early 3D, but basically everything on that wikipedia article sounds like the game I remember. Maybe its just my brain retroactively pasting sprite graphics over everything old enough.
It wasn't very good which also fits the ratings listed on the article, but it was a okay RTS with some unique mechanics.

Its listed as Abandonware, so I guess I'll try to ...errrm, "aquire" a copy after work today and give it a spin.  :P
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking for some games from an Atari computer (I'm not even sure of the model, just know that normally it was a keyboard hooked up to the tv, came with a tape reader, and later we got a floppy disc reader).

First was essentially a 2-player labyrinth/snake game, with grid-based movement, where the top part of the screen featured simple first-person views of each player side by side, while the bottom had a minimap with the layout and players. I can't be 100% sure it exists in the form I remember since I was aged somewhere below 5 or 6 when I played it, and I didn't entirely grasp how it worked at the time.

Another was a space game where you would mostly statically aim and shoot at incoming enemy ships in first person, move around on a star map, and gather fuel by moving near stars. I seem to specifically remember gathering fuel being dangerous and potentially melting your ship and UI (although again, I was really young and might be misremembering how good it might've looked).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I'm looking for some games from an Atari computer (I'm not even sure of the model, just know that normally it was a keyboard hooked up to the tv, came with a tape reader, and later we got a floppy disc reader).

First was essentially a 2-player labyrinth/snake game, with grid-based movement, where the top part of the screen featured simple first-person views of each player side by side, while the bottom had a minimap with the layout and players. I can't be 100% sure it exists in the form I remember since I was aged somewhere below 5 or 6 when I played it, and I didn't entirely grasp how it worked at the time.

Another was a space game where you would mostly statically aim and shoot at incoming enemy ships in first person, move around on a star map, and gather fuel by moving near stars. I seem to specifically remember gathering fuel being dangerous and potentially melting your ship and UI (although again, I was really young and might be misremembering how good it might've looked).
Not sure on the first one, but the second one is kind of reminiscent of a game I played on the Spectrum called Star Raiders II. Shooting ships in first person, moving around a map, the ship and UI melting if you go to a star, etc. There was also destroying huge flying saucers to protect buildings on the ground, destroying enemy bases with bombs, and fighting the occasional huge boss in space.

Either Star Raiders or Star Raiders II sounds like it could be it. Both were on Atari computers as well as Spectrum.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure on the first one, but the second one is kind of reminiscent of a game I played on the Spectrum called Star Raiders II. Shooting ships in first person, moving around a map, the ship and UI melting if you go to a star, etc. There was also destroying huge flying saucers to protect buildings on the ground, destroying enemy bases with bombs, and fighting the occasional huge boss in space.

Either Star Raiders or Star Raiders II sounds like it could be it. Both were on Atari computers as well as Spectrum.
The UI for SR2 certainly looks familiar, so that's probably it. Thanks!

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile

Could anyone help me with the name of an old PC game that I remember reading about? I don't remember too much specific about the kind of game it was except there were some kind of management-esque elements to it and the setting involved living inside of a giant hollowed out skeleton and I'm pretty sure the article I read about it in specified it was inspired by Roger Dean's cover art for Relayer. (Cross posted from the small random questions thread because I didn't do a good enough job finding this one before, oops.)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Im trying to find the name of a game, its pretty much like my little blacksmith shop where you could roam the land, gather ressource, setup a stall and sell item and you could also haggle if i remember right.

It was in cartoonish low poly 3d or just plain cartoonyish 3d. In fact any game like my little blacksmith shop might interest me, you guys got suggestion?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Recettear?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as other games in the genre, there's also Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop!, an expletiveton on Android that are micropay, and a few on Flash. (I wouldn't recommend any of the latter two categories though.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah it wasnt recettear, it was from an indie devloper, also na not popato, the game was played in 1st person.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How old is it? That might help narrow it down.

Some of that sounds like one I've been playing for the last few days, Hydroneer, except that released a few days ago. For anyone interested, I'd say wait a bit for the guy developing to patch it some more, physics among other issues are still pretty bad. Otherwise, decent enough.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its been a few year for sure, it was covered on youtube for a while as it was early access ( yeah what game isnt nowadays... ).

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Im trying to find the name of a game, its pretty much like my little blacksmith shop where you could roam the land, gather ressource, setup a stall and sell item and you could also haggle if i remember right.

It was in cartoonish low poly 3d or just plain cartoonyish 3d. In fact any game like my little blacksmith shop might interest me, you guys got suggestion?

Moonlighter?
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 203