Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 203

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 360706 times)

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2985 on: October 20, 2022, 12:50:58 pm »

There was this old MMO style strategy browser game, post-apocalyptic, I think it reset every month? By the time I started playing it there was a grand total of like... ten players. It was called something like Apocalyptic Survival Guide. I remember it having a fairly cartoony graphic style, there was research, a scavenging minigame, and after a certain point your citizens started demanding money which you could only get by selling stuff on the market. One building was called a recycling centre or something along those lines and it was vital because it allowed you to start manufacturing a certain resource that everything used.

I doubt anyone knows what it is, I don't think it was particularly popular game, but it's irritating me. I'd also like to give it a nostalgic go again.

https://www.directoryofgames.com/main.php?view=gamesearch&action=search&type=interface&crit=Text-based

Probably your best bet.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: October 20, 2022, 03:24:32 pm »

I think it was this one:

https://www.directoryofgames.com/games/486/Survival-Guide-the-Game

Looks like it's no longer around, which is hardly a surprise.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: October 25, 2022, 10:26:09 am »

Does anybody remember this old space bullet hell game where you could build your own bosses?  I think they were made out of individual parts that you could shoot off.  The bosses all had a gray color scheme.  It was an indie freeware thing, not on steam or anything like that as far as I can remember.

Edit: found it immediately, Warning Forever.
Shoes...

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: November 01, 2022, 10:25:08 pm »

An old game, I don't know if it was flash or not. I'd say it was maybe a proto-idle game, but from well before idle games, where you have a castle and you just sort of build it up, sending workers to cut wood or mine stone. I remember you had to move between areas (And somehow the castle came with, #logic), and upgrade the castle. There was an in-browser demo, I can't remember if you had to pay to get the full game or just download it. This must be from the mid-2000s, I think I remember playing it in primary school.

From what I remember, there were a couple of similar games with the same in browser demo setup, I think made by the same guy/company.

EDIT: My God, I found it. Age of Castles.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 01:05:25 am by Great Order »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: November 11, 2022, 04:38:19 am »

This is a long shot since I have only vague memories of it, but:

A game from probably the early 2010s. It was 3D, (probably) free to play, and was played with a client downloaded on the PC. It was a strategy (RTS?)-type scifi game that had you building on planets with… probably some larger scale space stuff with spaceships and invading planets and whatnot. I think it was a MMO.
I have only — again — vague memories of briefly playing it. It sort  of makes me think of Supreme Commander? I kind of remember putting down power plants, maybe. There might have been some kind of designer section to the game with some degree of customization to units and/or buildings?
I don’t believe you had any kind of physical avatar or character in the game world.
I highly doubt it’s still a thing today, by virtue of what I remember of its scale and the fact that I probably haven’t heard of it since. Feels like the kind of game I would have heard about since then if it’s still going.

Importantly, it was not Shores of Hazeron. I know this sounds like it’s Shores of Hazeron to anyone familiar with it, but it definitely was a different game.
That being said, it’s been almost definitely over a decade since I briefly played this game and I’m sure the memories of it have been corrupted by memories of other games. So if anything else seems even somewhat similar to even one part of the description, it could be it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: November 12, 2022, 01:18:11 am »

If it wasn't for you saying it's an MMO I'd have thought Planetary Annihilation

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: November 12, 2022, 03:16:25 am »

I can see the connection, but definitely a lot older than Planetary Annihilation. As far as I can remember, it had vibes  closer to like. OGame and those kinds of freemium browser strategy MMOs.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: November 12, 2022, 05:45:55 pm »

Bits and pieces of that remind me of Metal Fatigue, while other parts sound waaaay off.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: November 12, 2022, 07:24:56 pm »

I was thinking of Master of Orion, except the 3d part. Was it the game where you were in charge of a giant spaceship, and had to send out fighters to protect it from enemies to get back home?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: November 27, 2022, 04:47:23 pm »

Simple game where you play a bit of a zone capture game with little island towns that manufacture money and have turrets. Multiplayer, you play as ships(And maybe aeroplanes?) that you use to kill other players, destroy terrain and the towns. Last time I played they were working on adding tanks and troops for ground-based combat.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: November 27, 2022, 08:34:25 pm »

Bits and pieces of that remind me of Metal Fatigue, while other parts sound waaaay off.
I was thinking of Master of Orion, except the 3d part. Was it the game where you were in charge of a giant spaceship, and had to send out fighters to protect it from enemies to get back home?
Definitely wasn’t Metal Fatigue and very probably not Master of Orion.

The game felt pretty modern for the time I played it which was… 2010-ish? I remember painstakingly trying to figure out if our crappy family desktop could run it. I think 2007-2011 is a relatively generous estimate for when I encountered it. Probably 2008-2010.

I doubt I have any hope here. I just have absolutely butchered and mangled memories of very briefly playing this game as a child to young tween. There’s a non-zero chance I’ve unintentionally gradually fabricated this memory of a game wholesale from bits and pieces of memories of other games around the time.

Supreme Commander remains the closest association I have with it, graphics wise. Honestly, if the game doesn’t exist then there’s a good chance the memory is from a warped combination of SupCom and Hazeron.
My most solid memories of actually playing it are being in some kind of designer-like interface then, soon after, placing down what I feel like were power plants on a Supreme Commander-like map. I have some other associated memories but nothing else that isn’t definitely super corrupted/warped.

I plan on dropping this if no one has any leads. Don’t want to send people on a wild goose chase if it isn’t real.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: November 29, 2022, 02:03:10 pm »

I just remembered another thing that may have been around at that time-- for a while, there were a few games that were TBS/RTS skirmishes, but they also took place on a larger galactic map that was central-server. So, hypothetically, you would lock yourself in as Blue at the start of the season, and play matches against Red and Green to try and occupy more of the star map.

At least one of the ones I played had assaults going on a timer, so multiple people could register to attack/defend the same planet giving a kind of MMO-comraderie vibe to it on top of interplanetary invasion action.

Unfortunately, the only name I can come up with has "Phoenix" as a part of it, which I want to say was a bootleg project to add a galactic layer to Starcraft, which puts that specific one in the wrong time frame.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: December 06, 2022, 06:49:28 pm »

Trying to remember an old ARPG-ish kind of game, diablo era or perhaps earlier.

For some reason I have the name Blackthorne in mind, but obviously Blackthorne itself is not an ARPG.

It was its own fantasy setting, but maybe it had some tech in it too. Not part of a series, or at least not any major one. Isometric perspective (or 3/4 or such), but perhaps not as an extreme an angle as Ultima. English/western developer, not an import.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: December 06, 2022, 07:14:15 pm »

Darkstone?  Shadowflare?  Throne of Darkness?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: December 06, 2022, 09:37:06 pm »

Shadowflare gameplay seems like the most familiar but it's not 100%. I remember the inventory having a paper doll.

I really I have no idea why I ever confused it with Blackthorne. I wonder if my brother had burned something back 20 years ago but mislabelled what it was.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 203