Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 5758 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 07:09:24 am »

Lobster Pots or any kind of cage like fish trap should just use the existing 'trap' in the game for simplicity, though we need to remove the silliness of having only a trapper be able to make them.  BTW why not allow them to be made of metal as well.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 12:14:44 pm »

I'm happy that so many people seem to argee with this idea, and i have no objection to making the pots out of metal, only that it would be a waste of metal ;)

Also i'd love to see my dwarfs tending osyter farms, i've always been a firm believer in the idea of the dwarfs controlling their supplies, same reason i'd like the ability to grow my own underground forests and always make sure i have a pond stocked with fish in case of invasion.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 11:35:14 pm »

Just make fishing more productive and I will sign anything.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 01:25:39 pm »

I personally like the idea of spear fishing myself. It should also give practice with using spears, so your fisherdwarves can defend themselves if attacked.

Aiming at fish with a spear will greatly improve your aim with a spear.

It would also be nice if the animal populations were drastically increased. A medieval type settlement, such as DF, simply doesn't have the population to deplete local fish or wildlife populations. You need to be feeding billions of people for centuries to have that sort of effect.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 03:00:09 am »

Speaking of fish and fishing, sharkskin is extremely useful. Sharkskin and manta skin (not true fish, but close enough for this conversation)can both be made into leather, also, and shark teeth would make fine tools. So it's not just the meat that fishing could provide.

(Basking) shark liver was also prized by the Vikings, and cod-liver oil was seen as a medicine, so if we ever get butchering of organ-meat, fish could be included.

Some fish are even hunted more for their fat/oil than anything else. Whales were hunted for their oil, bones/teeth, and ambergris, as well as their meat.

Our dwarfs might occasionally go whaling with harpoons, if spear-fishing comes in. And whales and dolphins do occasionaly beach themselves, making for a lot of almost work-free meat, if you're in the right place at the right time to butcher it quickly and get it preserved somehow.

And, if we get better fishing, we really ought to be getting food-preservation too, because most fish back in the middle ages (and it was really just mostly cod that they fished) was smoked, salted, or pickled. 

Along with fish/shellfish, we might also pull seaweed, driftwood (good for carving), ambergris (whales occasionally cough it up, and then it floats on the water, eventually being discoverable on beaches), and meerschaum (another floating material, that is carved and  commonly made into fine smoking-pipes). Sea salt could also be harvested.

Also, dwarfs might go ice-fishing in winter, or in cold climates. They'd punch a hole in the ice with a sharp object (pick's fine) and then fish through that. That would be a great way to provide a little more protein and fat in your Fortress's winter diet. Additionally, it would give dwarfs feeling less social a good excuse to get away from everybody and drink hard liquor, while getting breakfast/doing something productive.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:44:37 am by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 04:33:46 am »

Also, dwarfs might go ice-fishing in winter, or in cold climates. They'd punch a hole in the ice with a sharp object (pick's fine) and then fish through that. That would be a great way to provide a little more protein and fat in your Fortress's winter diet.

This would be great if scurvy was implemented.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 12:08:49 pm »

Real dwarves fish with magma.

It does add to fishing, which is good.  With these, might I also suggest that grates let small fish through (do they already?) so as to protect from invasion of carp or alligators?

Instead of grates, what about bars? Bars let through small fish, and grates let through nothing. Because otherwise the difference between a grate and bars will remain naught, while they definitely are different in reality.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 03:27:38 am »

Also, dwarfs might go ice-fishing in winter, or in cold climates. They'd punch a hole in the ice with a sharp object (pick's fine) and then fish through that. That would be a great way to provide a little more protein and fat in your Fortress's winter diet.

This would be great if scurvy was implemented.

Who's to say Dwarves even get scurvy? Most animals can synthesize their own vitamin C; it's only primates (humans included), guinea pigs, and a few other species that can't.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 04:35:02 am »

I like this idea. Though, it should be that different methods catch different fish.

for example, the harpoons catch teh big fish, like carp, sturgeon.

Nets catch vermin fish.

The lobster traps catch, well, lobsters. and cave lobsters.  Of course, this might be better once we have boats.  though, in  the mean time, we probably could use them from shore. 

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 04:42:05 am »

SimRobert2001: I kind of agree with you, although I think there should be significant overlap. Maybe in the Raws, we could be able to define which methods have a chance of catching a given fish?

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 05:02:56 am »

i don't think that'll happen.

Whats to stop us from putting at 100%

games like this are made so that we don't keep it.

Yes, you CAN catch all types of fish with a net.  Problem is that a lobster can cut through, and it requires cloth to make. however, it has a chance of catching more than one fish at once.

The harpoon requires wood, but would destroy small fish, so it can't be used to catch them. It also counts as a spear weapon. (actually on that note, just use a spear to fish) They're quick to reload, but only catch one fish at one time.

Lobster traps can be made out of wood, but dont' require any baby sitting. Dwarves just make 'em, and then leave them.  They'll check them (say, once a week) and its revealed to see if they caught anything when a dwarf passes by a 1 square radius.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 06:07:54 am »

Lots of things prevent it being put at 100%-realism and balance, primarily, not to mention the points you yourself make.

If somebody wants to mod that in and play the game that way, that's fine, but it doesn't mean that the vanilla game will be like that.

I'm just interested in my modding, and I want something that's both flexible and adaptable to what I want to mod in. Fish are a pretty big part of that.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 04:46:29 pm »

I want to see poorly skilled dwarves with no tutoring get stuck in the net and rip it

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 05:05:13 pm »

"Alright, boys, raise the net!"
"Has anyone seen Urist? Armok, this is heavy!"
"Get me out of this thing! They're nibbling me!"

When were fishing poles invented? i'd personally like those to be put in aswell, if only for the option.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:14:19 pm by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 05:32:14 pm »

I'm kinda against more tools as a matter of principle.  Axes and pickaxes make sense because they are viable weapons, and they need metal to make.  If you start requiring fishing rods, and then requiring fish hooks, etc., then you get Settlers and you stop having fun.  Also, masons don't need to have ten different tools to do their stuff, it's all abstracted...same with fishermen, if you start with poles, next you start needing fish-cleaning knives...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6