Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 5760 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2009, 08:45:55 pm »

Pilsu, the Celts used to carry everything they needed to do smithing work around with them. It's not a matter of artificially inflating the workshop, it's a matter of just bringing this workshop up to speed with the rest of them.

Preserving fish should be kept separate from preserving meat because that's the way it's done. Otherwise, the flavor is very adversely affected. Unless you like your steak to taste of herring.
For they would be your masters.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2009, 12:27:38 pm »

Preserving fish should be kept separate from preserving meat because that's the way it's done. Otherwise, the flavor is very adversely affected. Unless you like your steak to taste of herring.
This is very true-if you mix two different types of food, the flavors intermingle or one will end up flavoring the other. This happens in fruit salads, I know that much from personal experience. And actually, salting meat in the butcher's shop would be hygienic-the salting helps to retard the growth of bacteria and fungi, and so there should be some benefit to the hygiene of the shop. Smoked meats might use a designated room for the task, which would make it easier to represent the process without abstracting it too much.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2009, 08:45:01 pm »

It's the same way with smoking: The smoke kills the bacteria, removes moisture, and etc. Salt's often used in smoking, anyway (ham for instance). You can also pickle things (including preserving in wine), dry them, or even preserve them in oil or honey.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2009, 05:59:57 am »

Celts were an odd bunch if they carried about smithing hammers, tongs, buckets and an anvil on their person around all the time just for the fun of it

Do you have any reason to believe the same oven-thing wasn't used for both meat and fish? Hunch isn't good enough, I did some Googling at the very least and found no indication you can't use the same thing for both. Obviously not at the same time but I doubt the game mechanics would allow that anyway

As for salting and drying, they would definitely belong to the fishery. But it's still just a desk or two with knives, I don't see what you can hope to add to get that substance you're seeking. Other than maybe fixing fishing nets

I'd keep pickling in the kitchen

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2009, 12:35:33 am »

"Celts were an odd bunch if they carried about smithing hammers, tongs, buckets and an anvil on their person around all the time just for the fun of it"

Smaller, lighter anvils than you're thinking. Other than that, nothing that can't be easily transported. It wasn't done for fun, but they did carry their equipment around so that weapons could be repaired while on military campaign, and blacksmiths absolutely did carry their hammers around with them.

As far as the fish/meat being a "hunch", I've got over 25 years of cooking experience backing the opinion part of it up, but considering that even in modern grocery stores, the fish section is always physically separated from the butcher section, I'd say keeping raw fish away from raw meat is pretty well established as a common knowledge/common sense thing. If you feel you need specific examples, though, they won't be hard to find. I'm fairly confident their are butchering and smoking forums on the internet, so it's just a matter of asking around, or of going physically to a butcher's shop or an artisanal smoking company.

It's not that I want "substance" for my own diabolical reasons, it's simply a matter of bringing the fish workshop up to a level with the rest of the shops, purely for balancing reasons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2009, 12:42:09 am »

Think of it like this:

If the Celts were into Car Repair they had tool kits

Even the Celts wouldn't be able to carry a Garage with them

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2009, 06:01:06 am »

Screw you! Those pathetic cornish or welsh calts might not be able to (plus the brigantes, the Gauls and the Cisalpines) might not have been able to carry the garage, but we scotii celts could. We just don't want to.... :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2009, 03:55:53 pm »

The Celts used these really narrow anvils with long spike handles that they could carry over their shoulders and then just stick into the ground, whenever they arrived at the army's field camp or whatever.

It was a great bit of technology, really.

It's a testament to their skill that the Celts were reknowned for their metalwork, while doing that work on anvils with surface areas as little as a twelfth the size of other anvils.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2009, 12:35:53 am »

I never doubted that the Fae folk needed Fae size tools to work with.
Computer says 'No'.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2009, 07:43:14 am »

These modular workshops could be created in a manor similar to zones, as you designate an area each POSSIBLE usage is listed and can be toggled on if its valid.

Likewise I think it should be possible to create what are essentially multi-class workshops, say with the ubiquitous Table + knife and you designate several workshops like Butcher, Fishery and Leather working in that same space.  Now all though professions will use that space.  But of course the number of dwarves who can work their at any one time is limited by the number of Table/knife pairs inside the workshop (with logical accept ions like if a dwarf owns their own knife they can work even if the one shop knife is being used).

This really helps new a new fortress get off the ground, the current system really forces a lot of excess capacity on you.  Using multi-classed workshops would allow you to get up and running with 7 tables and a hand full of simple tools.  Of course their could be penalties associated with this mixing of work areas but they should be reasonable and not crippling.

In this thread (indirectly linked too earlier) I describe a way to create every workshop using just nine furniture items three of which would be new (Millstones, Ovens, Tables, Looms, Frames/Jigs, Cabinet, Bag, Chest and Cage).

I'm also in favor of a hybrid (tools in shops/tools owned) system, a dwarf with owned tools will use those and the shop tools will be available for those who lack their own.  Settings in the workshop will allow the shop tools to be added and removed at will.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]