Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

The Truth of Execution

(1/3) > >>

irdsm:
Gentlemen, I bring you my project, the Truth of Execution.

The idea is simple, I need an execution chamber. I'm overloaded with orcs and goblins (I took the no_trap tag off and am limiting myself to only a few traps)

Anyways, I got a rather nice artifact, Atol Ramtak, "The Truth of Execution", a green glass hatchcover. "This is a green glass hatch cover. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of green glass, orc bone and Copper. This object is adorned with hanging rings of orc bone and Diorite."

I have an underground river about 4 z levels above my already dug out execution pit (which, to my delight is microcline. It will cause my enemies eyes more pain than I could ever dish out). I will line everything in green glass. they will be dropped into the pit from the north. The pit will have ramps down into a pool which will contain tame cave crocs and snakemen (still need to catch some. Can snake men be tamed?). There will be ramps all along the sides of the walkway and several ways around, possibly with a few alternating retracting bridges.

If they make it through this room the doors behind them will be shut and they will have 3 paths. The right path leads to a ramp going into a 4 wide tunnel with 3 randomly placed pressure plates and a fourth pressure plate hooked up to a hatch which will be over a hole a pump draws from. The 3 levers are attached to a bridge above the tunnel containing 7/7 magma. They step on one and magma is unleashed. When the magma reaches 2/7 the hatch will be unlocked allowing the pump to remove the magma for the next use and closing the bridge. I don't know what will be in the middle and would like advice on that one. On the left will be a tunnel with alternating spikes and pressure plates. When a enemy steps on a pressure plate the spikes behind him are raised. The first orc will certainly survive, but the friends behind him?

Next comes the kitten room. It will be a large room with a clear glass box in the middle. In the glass box is a kitten (a cat when he grows up, I'm not opening it) and 3 pressure plates. One is hooked to a door directly to freedom. No surprises, no tricks. Straight unadulterated freedom (unless my hunter happens to be out there, whatever).  The other is hooked up to another door to freedom. Except this door heads through a room with Niweni Ranototo Nelare Fone, stray dragon (tame) who is hooked to a chain. They get past Niweni, they are free. The last pressure plate is hooked up to "The truth of execution" which unleashes 2 z levels worth of magma into the room, so the kitty stays comfortable while he watches the enemies melt.

So here are the issues:
I have no access to bauxite, can it work without it?

I know that enemies will path to the nearest exit after being captured, but I want them to take varied paths on the way. How can I do this?

How can I keep the kitten from stepping on the magma plate and then on the dragon plate, effectively killing my favorite pet and losing all the magma I pumped up?

Any ideas to make this better?

Any ideas to help automate the idea? I was thinking that to close doors behind them it would be best to setup a pressure plate that closes the door, but what if one orc is ahead of the rest and they get stuck in with the crocs and snakemen? Also, I want to keep the pets in that room...

Here's a past picture of my fort, When I accidentally almost flooded the world (and really did rape my FPS) with a pressurized underground river. The execution room is 3 z levels under the flooded mine. (I did stop the flooding)

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-6010-lancerdeep

Thanks guys.

Note: All I've done so far is dig out the first pit, and I haven't even made the pools and ramps or anything. This is all plans right now.

ein:
Molten rocks mod is your friend.
Seriously, get it.
Also, your microcline eye-burning plan won't work.

Microcline:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microline

Boomer:
I have no idea if the hatch cover will survive the magma, but any trap using this hatch cover is super fitting. I grinned when I first heard of it, and I am smiling wide to see this implementation of it.  ;D

assimilateur:
From all I've read (as opposed to tested, which I haven't) your hatchcover won't survive this, so make sure you backup your game before you try it out.

Seeing how you most likely can't use magma with your glass hatch, you could make the same thing, but with water. It might be less spectacular, but at least you get to use one of the most aptly artifacts this forum has ever seen.

irdsm:

--- Quote from: ein on June 10, 2009, 03:26:32 pm ---Molten rocks mod is your friend.
Seriously, get it.
Also, your microcline eye-burning plan won't work.

Microcline:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microline

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the mod! I checked and I have alunite on the outside of a rock wall so I can have magma safe mechanisms without (psychologically) cheating!

As for the microcline, I know. I downloaded a mod earlier today that changed the color too. But damn if that wasn't what I was thinking when I dug it out last night! (that, and that it would look damn fine covered in blood)

--- Quote from: assimilateur on June 10, 2009, 03:38:05 pm ---From all I've read (as opposed to tested, which I haven't) your hatchcover won't survive this, so make sure you backup your game before you try it out.

Seeing how you most likely can't use magma with your glass hatch, you could make the same thing, but with water. It might be less spectacular, but at least you get to use one of the most aptly artifacts this forum has ever seen.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I was wondering that too but it would seem to me that glass should be able to survive magma. Maybe I'm overestimating it, but it would be such an awesome display. Was gonna make sure to backup save a few times just incase I fuckup the whole pressurized underground river thing, so this is just another reason...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version