Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thanks to Toady and game developers  (Read 1182 times)

adore_the_glassspider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thanks to Toady and game developers
« on: June 11, 2009, 03:27:34 pm »

Hi guys,

Here's a sappy post okay? You've been duly warned.

I just wanted to give you guys a personal thank you for making dwarf fortress and for making it freely available to all. DF is the first and only PC game I've ever played, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the most imaginative, unique, and fun game on any console anywhere...the third gen consoles can stay at the store...I want a computer that can run a super-fortress!

Anyway, my little brother gave me this game when our Mom died last year. Needless to say, I was like a dwarf whose lost his best buddy and had to watch him decay in the sun. DF gave me a fun escape from the reality I had to face. Getting into my imagination and "taking care" of the dwarves was just the distraction I needed from making arrangements, doing autopsies, and all the yucky stuff that one goes through when they're the next of kin.

Really, there's no good way to express my enjoyment and gratitude for this game. Almost a year later, I'm still just a noob and learning, but the benefit to my imagination (and stress levels) has been marked! So thank you, from the bottom of my heart for DF; I can't wait for the update.

--Spider
“She's a nightmare hippie girl/she's spazzing out on a cosmic level/and she's meditating with the devil/she's cooking salad for breakfast/she's got tofu the size of Texas/she's a witness to her own glory/she's a never-ending story/she's a frolicking depression/she's a self-inflicted obsession/she's got a thousand lonely husbands/she's playin' footsie in another dimension/she's a goddess milking her time for all that it's worth." --Beck

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks to Toady and game developers
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 05:50:13 pm »

DF actually helped?
That's kinda unusual.

Anyways, sorry for the loss.

Also, Toady is pretty much the only person working on the game.
The rest of us are just the community.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 06:17:35 pm »

I can imagine DF helping, it's been keeping me sane and such.

Sorry to hear about your mother.

If you ever just wanna chat about DF stuff or w/e. Lemme know.

I'd also like to point out without such an amazing community of people here at the forum, dwarf fortress wouldn't be possible.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

adore_the_glassspider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:24:01 pm »

Thank you for your condolences. I'll have to extend my thanks to the DF community as well! I've never seen such a high-level of communication between game developers and the players, and it's awesome.

Shaostoul: Thank you, the same goes for you. I'm adore_the_glassspider on yahoo messenger as well, and of course, I'm here...usually asking for help or advice on something I've never tried before.

Ya'll take care.
--Spider
“She's a nightmare hippie girl/she's spazzing out on a cosmic level/and she's meditating with the devil/she's cooking salad for breakfast/she's got tofu the size of Texas/she's a witness to her own glory/she's a never-ending story/she's a frolicking depression/she's a self-inflicted obsession/she's got a thousand lonely husbands/she's playin' footsie in another dimension/she's a goddess milking her time for all that it's worth." --Beck

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 12:30:30 am »

There is a similiar level between 3000Ad.com's Derek Smart and their community but it is a lot more eh  violent sometimes ;)

Sorry to hear about your mother, mine is getting up in age and I dread the day I Have to go through that. I'm happy DF could help take your mind off things and let you enjoy some small things in life. I could certainly see how watching the dorfs go through their horrible little lives could give you perspective on your own.
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 02:44:03 am »

Just so you know, adore_the_glassspider, ToadyOne is the only developer for Dwarf Fortress. The players just mod it.

Sorry 'bout your mother. You should put up a story/community/succession fort. ;)

adore_the_glassspider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 02:23:25 pm »

Thanks for all the support, guys!

I'm not sure what a story/community/succession fort is...Can you tell me?

--Spider

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 03:38:04 pm »

This is a !!fine!! example of a succession game:
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 06:32:01 pm »

I should have put those separate.
A story is self-explanatory. A succession is where one player plays a fort for a year, then they pass the save onto another person, etc. Boatmurdered is a good example. A community fort is where one player plays the fort and other people claim dwarves. I believe Nist-Akath is a community fort.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 04:13:02 am »

Did Dwarf Fortress get so insane that it looped over the scale so much that it turns people SANE?!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 04:17:49 am »

Did Dwarf Fortress get so insane that it looped over the scale so much that it turns people SANE?!

Surely Ragnarök is nigh!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 08:22:49 am »

Surely Ragnarök is nigh!

* It brings an END

AH AH AH!!!

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

adore_the_glassspider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 03:47:44 am »

Hey the succession and community games are great ideas! I will seriously consider this. Thanks for the suggestion.

--Spider