Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia - Round 6 - Game Over  (Read 60139 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Paranormal Mafia - Round 6 - Game Over
« on: June 12, 2009, 09:17:41 pm »

Ok, sign-ups are now closed for Round 6.

Game has started!

Player List:
  • Archangel
  • inaluct
  • TheToeBighter98
  • Org
  • Mr.Person
  • R1ck
  • Frelock
  • Pandarsenic
  • chaoticjosh
  • NUKE9.13
  • Twiggie
  • Cheeetar
  • Flintus10
  • Alexhans
  • webadict
  • Rysith
  • A_Fey_Dwarf
  • Kashyyk

Previous Games List
Game 1    Winners under spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Game 2    Winners under spoiler
Game 3    Winners under spoiler
Game 4    Winners under spoiler
Game 5    Winners under spoiler

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:34:54 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia - Round 6 - Signups!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:18:23 pm »

Here are the current rules:

Here is the (current) list of possible roles:
  • Townie - Normal citizen. No powers, just your wits and a desire to live. [human]
  • Doppelganger - Body-snatching, man-eating monster. You want to feast on human flesh and avoid being caught. [dopp]
  • Doppelganger leader - More powerful and adept then the others, the leader is immune to detection by Agent or Detective short of death. The Telepath will still receive a 'kill' goal from the Dopp Leader, however. [dopp]
  • Agent - An FBI agent investigating the situation. Can investigate one person per night to determine their Race. [human][dopp]
  • Protector- Can prevent one person from being night-killed. Only protects against one attack a night. [human][dopp]
  • Paranoid War Vet - Is trigger happy and will kill anyone targeting them at night, although they still die if the night target was deadly. Can choose to turn off this ability for a night (leaving themselves vulnerable). [human]
  • Medium: The medium can freely communicate with Dead characters via PM/Ghost Chat. This ability works during both the Day and Night phases. [human]
  • Detective: During the night, the Detective can investigate a character to determine what role, if any, the character possesses. Townsfolk, Doppelgangers, the Doppelganger Leader, the Ghost, the Survivor Alien, and the Kook will show up as No Role. [human][doppelganger]
  • Telepath: The Telepath has limited psychic powers. Once per night, the Telepath can investigate a player and use their powers to determine the goal of that character. Everyone gets a 'Goal' that would be returned to the Telepath. 'Survive' for most townsfolk and the Survivor Alien, 'Find' for seekers of any side, 'Kill' For dopps, exterminators, and War Vets, and 'Protect' for Protector, Warden, and Bodyguard. The Telepath need not leave his house to use his powers. [human][doppelganger]
  • Bodyguard: This character is working to keep other characters safe, and will give their life to keep them safe. The bodyguard chooses one player to protect each night. If that player would die due to a night action, the Bodyguard will die in their place. The bodyguard can (obviously) only prevent one such attack. [human][doppelganger]
  • Mad Scientist: The Mad Scientist has been secretly working on his amazing project in the town. He was going to sell it to the government, but due to the current disaster, he's going to have to give it an early field test. At the beginning of the game the Mad Scientist picks which of the following inventions he wants to have:
    • Body Double: A perfect body double. It could be organic, robotic, even a hologram. Regardless, it takes his place in dangerous situations while he stays safe. If the Mad Scientist is killed, the body double takes his place. This also applies to lynches during the day phase. It's a one-use item, though, so he's vulnerable after it's been destroyed.
    • Security System: A highly advanced security system watches over the Mad Scientist's house. He knows the identity of anyone who visits his house during the night. He does not, however, know their purpose. Unless it's to kill him, and he finds that out the hard way.
    • Sentry Guns: Functions like the paranoid war vet, attacking and killing anyone who comes snooping around the Mad Scientist's house. However, it has limited ammo (it is just a prototype version), and only works on the first person to come by. Like the War Vet's ability, this can be turned off for a night. This makes the house safe for friendly visitors but leaves the Mad Scientist vulnerable to attack.
    • Snooper bot: This little bug-bot can trail another player at night and see where they go (if anywhere).
    • Assassin bot: Once per game the MS can use the assassin bot to day-kill another player. This attack cannot be traced back to the Mad Scientist.
    Due to their mechanical nature, the Inventions cannot be stopped by a Psychic Warden. [human][doppelganger]
  • Kook: The guy who's always seemed a bit "off" to everyone. Now his behavior has gotten even more erratic. It's really due to stress from the killings and whatnot, but it makes the Agent confuse him for a Doppelganger. [human]
  • Witch/Warlock: The Warlock is a pro-town character. He is warded by powerful psychic powers, and will curse his killer upon his death with a morningkill. The one so cursed will die at the next dawn. If he is night-killed, his killer will die that night. If he is lynched, the last player to vote for him will die during the night phase. [human]
  • Psychic Warden: The psychic warden can use his abilities to foil other characters. Each night he can pick a character. That character cannot take any role-related actions for that night and following day. The Psychic Warden does not need to leave his house to use this power. All targets, regardless of role, will be aware that they have been tampered with. [human][doppelganger]
  • Mind Shield: This character is completely immune to all Psychic effects and abilities (Telepath, Warlock, Disciple of Truth, and Psychic Warden). The Mind Shield is not a role in itself, but an ability granted to a non-psychic character that may or may not already have a role. There can be one Mind Shield per side. Psychic characters will be aware of a Mind Shield blocking their abilities. [human][doppelganger][alien]
  • Aggressive War Vet: This character is similar to the war vet, story wise. However, while the Paranoid War Vet stays at home and shoots anything that moves, the Aggressive War vet goes out hunting himself. He is a pro-town character who gets one kill each night. [human]
  • Reporter: Years of following celebrities around has given this person the ability to track anyone anywhere and keep out of sight in the process. Each night the Reporter can choose to either follow someone to see where they go or see if anyone visits them that night. The Reporter does NOT get any more information about what happens, only the location visited or the people at the location. Attempting to follow a Paranoid War Vet is still fatal, of course. [human][doppelganger]
  • Enchanter: The Enchanter uses his Psychic abilities to make people weight his vote more than others. His votes count double. If at any point there are more Mind Shields then regular players, this power will not work. [human][dopp]
  • Alien - The alien is also investigating the town. However, it has it's own goals and it's own win/lose situation
    The alien will have 1 of the following roles.
    • Contact the FBI - The Alien chooses one person a night. If that person is the Agent, the Alien wins. The Alien vanishes after it has won (goes to negotiate with the government). If that person is not the agent, however, the Alien kills them to keep their identity from being revealed. If the person is a doppelganger they will kill each other. The Alien loses if the Agent is killed or if the town loses.
    • Grab a Doppelganger for Study - Once during the game, the Alien chooses a person at night and takes them on board their space ship for study. Both Vanish. If the person was a Doppelganger, the Alien wins. If not, the Alien loses. This abduction happens before any night kills and cannot be stopped except by a Role-block of the Dopp Hunter. If the Dopp Hunter dies, he still wins if the dopps win, since his people can still grab one for study.
    • Survive - The Alien is there for some other purpose, and is simply hiding as a human. Their only goal is to survive until the end of the game. They win as long as they are alive, regardless of which side wins.
    • Exterminator - The doppelganger infestation is a danger to the Alien's people, and it and all traces of it must be wiped from the Earth. The Alien kills one person a night. The Alien wins when they are the only one left alive.
    • Operative: The Operative is sent along with the Exterminator to aid them in their task. During the mission he can do each of the following once

• Determine a player's Race
      • Determine a player's Role
      • Perform a Night Kill on a player
      • Role-Block a player
      • Act as a Bodyguard for the Alien.

Should the Alien they are working with die, the Operative's goal becomes survival.

All aliens get to pick from the following set of equipment to start the game with. Most aliens get 1 item slot, Exterminators get 2 slots. The Operative gets 0 slots due to his varied abilities. An alien can only have 1 of any given item.

Item list:
      • Personal Shield: Works once as though guarded by the Protector. Will also protect against Morningkills. Takes 1 slot.
      • Holoform Modulator: Works once when investigated, allowing the alien to choose a role and race to show as. Once activated it lasts the entire night but is used up after that. Takes 1 slot.
      • Scanner: Works once as a combination of the Agent and Detective, showing both Race and Role. The scanner bypasses all role effects on investigation (such as the Kook or Dopp Leader). The scanner does not use up the Alien's action, nor does it trigger any responses by the target (such as PWV or Reporter watching a location). Takes 1 slot.
      • Deadman bomb: If the Alien is lynched, he explodes killing the last person to vote for him and a random person near him. If he is night-killed, he kills his attacker. Takes 1 Slot.
      • Assassin bot: Once per game the Alien can use the assassin bot to day-kill another player. This attack cannot be traced back to the Alien. Takes 1 Slot.
      • Intel You begin the game with Intel on the survivors in the town. This gives you a list of all Roles in the game, but not who has them. Takes 2 slots.
      • Plasma Bomb: One use per game, can be chosen in lieu of a nightkill, which will kill the target, and anyone interacting with the target, and anyone interacting with them, and so on. The Alien is smart enough to stay out of the Blast Radius, so he's unaffected (assuming he's not targeting himself for some reason). Only effects people physically at that location (so Psychics are fine). Takes 2 slots.

Morningkill: A morning kill happens between the day and night phase, and cannot be prevented by abilities that prevent night kills. (Such as the Protector)

I've written a perl script to pick roles and whatnot randomly. It has some rules that it follows, but it should make for a nice amount of randomness to the set-up.

Not all roles are guaranteed. In fact, it's quite possible to have a game with nothing but normal doppelgangers and humans.
There can be more then 1 alien, although each will have different goals.
There will only be, at most, 1 of any given role per side (other then townsperson and normal doppelganger)

Rule on PMs: Private Messages are allowed. However, I must be copied on all PMs. Failure to do so will result in very bad things happening to you. In addition you may NOT quote any PM from me, either your initial Role-PM or any role-related PMs. (Night role results, etc).  I'll make an exception for specifically rules-related questions. This is to keep the suspense and uncertainty in the game high. You're not supposed to know if the other person is lying or not, and quoting me gives too much weight to whatever it is you're saying.

Nights will last for 24 hours or until I've heard from each player with a night role, whichever comes first.
    In the event of night role collision, I'll roll to see what happens first. For example, if the doppelgangers decide to kill someone who is actually the extermination alien, I'll roll to see if they get him before he kills someone else or not.

Days will last for 48 hours or until everyone has voted (if there is a long period of inactivity after everyone votes I'll end the day to keep things moving).
    In the event of a tie, one of two things will happen. If there are only two vote camps, representing over half of the players, then both people will be lynched. If there are more than three vote camps or fewer then half the populace has voted then no lynch will take place.

All votes should be colored red to make it easy for me to spot them.

Speaking While Dead: The dead may post once after they have died to comment on their death. They may not provide any information about the game in this post. After this, any posting in the game before it has ended will result in a one game ban from future Paranormal games. Repeated abuse, or posts that have a major impact on the game, can result in a permaban from any future Paranormal games (and probably a lot of other Forum games as well as word gets around).

The only exception to this rule is the Ghost character, should that role exist in the game. Dead may freely PM a Medium character if that role is present in the game.

Doppelgagners and the Dead will have special chat areas on http://www.quicktopic.com. I will PM the appropriate link to you at the start of the game or when you die. The Medium will have access to the Dead channel. The Dead channel will start with a statement of whether or not there is a Medium in the game.

Event Order: Looks like there is strong sentiment to have a everything predetermined. Therefore, the order of events is as follows:

Role-blockers
Protectors
Investigators (Includes Dopp Seeker)
Night Kills (The Paranoid War Vet (or equivalent) is sort of an exception, in that he'll kill anyone who targets them on THEIR turn, rather than his)

All kills will be effectively simultaneous. (I may make some literary liberties with this in the PMs, but there won't be any cases like the Dopps->Exterminator->Townie chain like Game 2 had)

Feel free to ask for clarification on any rule.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:15:37 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:18:49 pm »

Please go visit the Discission thread to talk about what rules changes are going to go into this round.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:10:33 pm by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:19:30 pm »

I'm in! First!
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:20:52 pm »

Sign me up.

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 09:24:21 pm »

I'll be here in case you need to abuse my powers (Chaoticjosh).

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 09:26:32 pm »

Did you just threaten to bight his toes? Before the game's even started?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:30:51 pm »

IN!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 09:42:34 pm »

I'll join
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 09:56:30 pm »

I'll gladly join.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 12:13:30 am »

I'll join up!  These are always enjoyable.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 12:13:39 am »

I'm in.

I suppose Ghost value is being shot through the roof?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 02:46:25 am »

I'm in, of course!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 05:24:07 am »

You know, after 5 rounds I think I have had enough of Paranormal mafia. I shall sit this one out.

...KIDDING.
Consider me in this and all future Paranormal mafia's unless I specifically state that I am not, repeatedly, whilst in a state of mental saneness.
Long Live United Forenia!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 05:27:19 am »

Consider me in this and all future Paranormal mafia's unless I specifically state that I am not, repeatedly, whilst in a state of mental saneness.

Same here.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44