Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Safer Sparring  (Read 716 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Safer Sparring
« on: June 13, 2009, 05:55:38 pm »

Tired of Urist MacCleod cutting the head off of every single nobody who enters the sparring ring?  Don't want there to Only Be One?  Don't feel like modding it yourself?  Well, fear not, because here I am with a very minor mod that can save all those would-be warriors!

Simply copy these into your item_weapon.txt:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And these into your entity_default.txt (Make sure it's placed anywhere under the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] tag)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then just 'gen a new world, and make 'em!  They can be made out of Obsidian (Or any other stone with the [SHARP] tag) if you don't have immediate access to metal.  Each weapon does a very minor amount of blunt damage.  I've found it takes a little longer for them to raise in skill, but you also lose less people and don't get nearly as much blood and guts all over that new, clean barracks!

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any injuries incurred should you sent your military to battle with practice weapons.  Should this happen, just prepare for Fun or get them to drop their weapons immediately and find better ones.  You should always try to make sure that the lethal weapons are forbidden when training anyone, and then claimed when you need them.  I suggest forbidding, dumping, or melting the practice weapons when unneeded.  Not to be used around Orcs unless you think you can make them laugh until they die.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:43:45 pm by Shima »
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Safer Sparring
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 08:15:01 pm »

I just use NERF weapons. Someone else came up with a new metal (do a search, look for a thread much like yours on practice weapons) made in the smelter by combining wood and cloth that was almost exactly identical to iron (it had a damage value of 1 or 0 and could only be used for weapons). much easier and less cluttered of an interface.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 08:18:12 pm »

Interesting. Can you make practice axes, spears, etc. too? That would VASTLY help me train my woodcutter militia.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 12:16:16 am »

My problem with smelter reactions is, well, seems strange to 'smelt' a wood or other such non-metal practice weapon.  I'd agree with reactions wholeheartedly if we could, say, have a woodcrafter carve a wooden sword, though.

So far I haven't tested to make sure if the practice axes will cut trees, but they should (I believe the [AXE] tag hooks to woodcutting, regardless of the damage type.  I can confirm if needed, though, by just smithing a few and setting some peasants in my fort cut some wood and see who grabs what, though).

Oh Armok, the spice.

Malne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:33:35 am »

Yes, anything with the axe tag should cut trees.  I'm using this method currently, although someone already beat you to it, with silliness like "kitten-headed maces" and "pointy sticks" but its the same concept.  The problem is that caravan guards and immigrants show up with them as well, whereas with a smelted metal you can give it the [DEEP] tag and then it wont be traded or brought in.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 01:11:28 am »

Aye, true.  Then again, DF wouldn't be the first place someone decided to try to use a practice weapon as a real blade.  I wonder if the :RARE] and :UNCOMMON] tags that hook to armor and clothing work on weapons...

Oh Armok, the spice.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 07:55:21 am »

Never realy needed any modding, some silver weapons and cheap chainmail allways worked well enough for me.

And, I dont think rarity tags would work on weapons, but you can allways try.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:35:28 am »

Quick question: isn't the [CRIT_BOOST:1] thing sort of counterproductive? I mean, sure it's part of a normal sword, but we're talking wooden practice weapons here, right?

EDIT: And even if they're made out of stone, you'd make them as blunt as would be possible while still retaining the shape of a weapon, wouldn't you?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:38:51 am by assimilateur »

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 04:42:41 pm »

Bah, did I forget to remove the crit from one of them?

Edit: Sure enough, forgot to remove it from the sword.  Fixed

Oh Armok, the spice.