Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dawn of the Dwarves (Community Fort in a Dwarfless World)  (Read 3135 times)

Faylone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of the Dwarves (Community Fort in a Dwarfless World)
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 08:08:14 am »

oh, in addition, my dwarves died off in another community game, and we wound up being able to pull trade caravans and migrants from another. (I think)

If this is like the dwarfless world I've played in, there will be no trade caravans or migrants. New dwarves will only be through birth.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 11:00:36 am »

I'll take a dwarf if there are any spare

Name: Ingiz
Proffeshion: woodcutter/carpenter

If can make him/her an axedwarf if the need is great
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 04:51:47 pm »

That I think brings us up to 10.  I may just start and toss in a few un-named dwarves that may be introduced and picked up as players once people start recognizing this a bit more.

EDIT:  Okay, I'm starting now.  13 dwarves, 2 of whom are unclaimed.
Spoiler: Unclaimed Dwarves (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:28:30 pm by Taritus »

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 05:25:00 pm »

heh. i want the gemcutter/setter. name him ousire. make him very smart on things like geology and minerals, but know a good bit about other things like mining or building underground :P

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 05:46:19 pm »

Oh, the first shenanigans have already begun.  Since there are no other dwarves, I apparently can't take any weapons except crossbows.  Hooray, steel dogs with itemcorpse values.

EDIT: Turns out I didn't need to make steel dogs.  But I also found out you can't butcher something to get it's itemcorpse item.  Had to use Dwarf Companion to kill them...  Oh well, 3 dogs dead and I've got a masterwork anvil, and weapons for the guys that need them.  Time to actually begin the fort.  Also, those two dwarves are still open.

EDIT2: Forgot to bring more than one of each seed.  Hm...  This is going to be interesting...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:11:01 pm by Taritus »

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 06:30:43 pm »

After many months of trekking through wilderness and mountains, the dwarves of the Ashen Trades arrived at their destination.  The stench of the mountains they had spent weeks passing through still lingered in some clothing, but for the most part, the trip went without fault.  No dwarves died, but three dogs were killed when they fell ill; six dogs remained, far more than enough to supply a fortress with numerous puppies for years to come.

Planning where the fortress would begin took little time at all, a soft bit of sand would provide a quick entrance to the mountain and an easily concealed gate.  Into the side of the mountain the two miners, Kurel and Honnou dug, quickly finding a vein of Galena.  The area would need to be cleared of it before the rest of the dwarves would be allowed nearby, lead being poisonous.  The cave that would be their home began to take shape rather quickly.  No fancy straight passages these dwarves had decided; only a natural cave feel would suit them.  It would make expanding far simpler when it would be most assuredly needed in the future.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The supplies that the dwarves had taken with them were ample.  The city had provided numerous bars of various metals so that the dwarves could quickly begin producing goods for trading.  The city had also provided them many barrels and bags that would be of great necessity when food production would begin in the new settlement.  What the city couldn't provide, though, were the necessary seeds the dwarves would need to begin producing food.  Only one dwarf, Plump, as she was affectionately known, carried the last known supply of the vital underground plants, and her supply was miniscule: one seed each of only a few crops the dwarves had grown.  They would need to be quickly planted and harvested if the supply were to grow, so that was just what the dwarves did.

---***---

Well, yeah, short little update explaining the current situation.  No dialogue, but there isn't much point for it at the moment.  Probably get to meet the other dwarves and check out their individual personalities later tomorrow, though may get it up tonight.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 08:54:15 pm »

do you just like the feel of a natural cave better, or is there stragetic planning for that layout? the curve limits archers power somewhat, and the end of it looks like a good chokepoint for traps or dwarfs

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 09:00:13 pm »

I like it because it enables me to make any weird little additions I like.  Just branch off randomly somewhere and it doesn't look ugly because it's all ugly.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 09:05:36 pm »

I like the natural look to. I might have to start experimenting with it; my fortresses tend to be symmetrical and utilitarian, but not that interesting to look at.

I love the theme here too. If possible, I'd like to claim the Female Smith. Name her Midna, if'n you would.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 01:20:53 pm »

Oh, hm...  Really hoping they make relationships properly after changing a few of their genders...  On an unrelated note, there are 5 fire imps hidden in the magma pipe.  I modded fire imps, a long time ago, to be tamable; hooray.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 03:32:52 pm »

From the journal of Asmel Esteemgirders, Expedition Leader,

"The progress we have made in these first short months has been staggering.  Soon, I believe, we will have our home mined out and it will be full of life, parties, and much drinking; at the moment, however, we have been forced to sleep at the entrance to our cave while the our homes are being built inside the mined out areas of our cave.

The galena deposits worry me about our chosen location and to make things worse we have uncovered many over toxic stones.  We would do our best to clear them out before children begin to enter our village.  They do have their uses.  One of us, Midna, has offered to smelt the ores into bars so that we may make use of the galena, liberating as much silver from it as we can so we may make many beautiful objects for our temples; the lead will most likely be used to make mugs to trade to the unknowing elves."

---

"I would love to move into a real home soon.  A nice little room for myself, a bedroom, an office.  Everything a dwarf needs."  Plump rather missed her old room at Soundedcloisters.  She had a small patch of soil just so she could grow plants and feed them to her purring maggots.  If only she had collected them for the trip, she would be able to make much more cheese to sustain them than she had brought with her.

"Oh, we've got a great place to live in this cave Kurel and Honnou have mined out for us.  If only we could be near the entrance, to let the fresh air vitalize us every morning.  I would like that, wouldn't you, Plump?"  Gregor was an odd dwarf.  He had never really lived in Soundedcloisters for long, but instead had lived in the surrounding forests and on the mountains of the area.  He became interested in nature and the forests at a young age, but only when he reached adulthood could explore his interests.  He met with elves and negotiated many times as a representative of the dwarves and because of him there was rarely conflict between the two races.

During Gregor's stays with the elves he learned much from their religion, eventually becoming a druid himself, inducted into the inner elven society by the grand master of the druids himself.  He found his life among the elves far more exciting than that of his mountain dwelling relations: he could venture where he wished and converse with the beings of the forest.

The two dwarves, Plump and Gregor were great friends during their travel to the Earthen Towers and when they arrived, the two announced that they were in love.  They were a perfect match for each other, their love of nature unparalleled, almost elven.

"When this place grows, we should move out.  Build ourselves a home out in the forest surrounding our mountain," Gregor said.

"We could raise a great family out there.  I could even get back to growing my plants!"

"Yes, that is what we will do then."

--***---

Yeah.  You read that right, one of the dwarves is a druid.  He's not a druid completely though, his major skill is woodcrafting, since druids for some reason or other can't be controlled in dwarf mode.  It adds to his personality and is kind of my way of spiting webadict for not giving me any skills for him...  He's our all around craft dwarf and when I was checking his personality out I noticed his lover was Plump, thus giving me a great little story there.  Next update should be around tomorrow; it'll be whenever I reach winter in the fort.

EDIT:  Okay, this poses a problem.  Dwarves aren't really making relationships right, as Honnou (male) and Ousire (m) are lovers as of the moment.  I'm just going to pull some shenanigans and make Honnou a girl to fix this, sorry.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:39:25 pm by Taritus »

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 04:05:13 pm »

That's alright, eh.  Females kill as good as males, plus they can produce their own shields.  Stuff sounds like it's coming along, which is good.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 04:37:10 pm »

Well, I'm just REALLY hoping no terrible shenanigans occur, like somehow the male in a relationship get pregnant instead of the female or they get listed as the wrong gender spouse...  But other than that it's all going pretty well with it.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 11:03:15 pm »

Well, I'm just REALLY hoping no terrible shenanigans occur, like somehow the male in a relationship get pregnant instead of the female...
Heh heh. That would actually make for a great story... Like some curse or other.
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 11:05:59 pm »

(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3