Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: What are you looking forward to most?  (Read 5385 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you looking forward to most?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 08:44:46 am »

Personally I prefer the pseudo-realism of DF without magic. But anyway.

Anything that makes Adventure mode more fleshed out is something I'm looking forward to, especially the use of skills and construction.

Second to that would be extending a Fortress' domain beyond the boundaries of the fortress.

Also can we list stuff in the next release? Because I can't wait for the hospitals or the new caves.

Hospitals and New Combat, along with the poisons, looks like super fun, but it's not in my top 3, heh. More likely my top 10 :]...

If I can be an assassin in Adventure mode, sneaking around a Goblin Tower, a poisoned bow+arrow in hand... Then i'll notch up the poisons a couple, ha.

Oh! I am looking forward to necrosis, mind you. I have a Fatal Attraction to disgusting stuff like that. :)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 09:06:58 am »

Personally I am looking forward to the update for hospitals and squads, then in the long run, my number one choice would be the option to turn over command of a fortress to a dwarf and start another fortress on the same world and have interaction throughout the map, such as sending armies to conquer the goblins ;D

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 02:13:59 pm »

I'm mostly most excited about the things that Toady's working on for the next release, probably becaues they're the most detailed.

-The new underground caves and "stuff" in the upcoming update. Especially now that cavern critters can respawn and attack your fort.

-Also the revamped venom system. I'm going to mod the hell out of it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 05:41:15 pm »

Personally, I am looking forward not only to the addition of the new and exciting content, such as the underground features and societies, but to the improvement of control over your dwarfs. 

I think for many people who play dwarf fortress, controlling the dwarfs in your fortress is a key component of the game.  The game starts with 7 dwarfs that have unique personalities.  Your fortress grows upon these few dwarfs; if they do their jobs correctly, then you survive another winter.  For the first few games, the new player is dependent on a very small selection of dwarfs as he learns the game.

But then some immigrants come in with a strange assortment of professions... then more immigrants, and more... till your fortress houses 50 odd dwarfs all running amok (not to be confused with the blood god Armok). The rations are all eaten, there is no more booze left, people no longer have rooms and the fps is now at a steady 20fps. 

It is now an issue controlling all those dwarfs.  Trying to create order in your fortress becomes a difficult task.  Trying to equip your military, to use the correct weapons and armor is a headache.  Setting up the different tasks each dwarf is to handle is cumbersome, the best options are to use a different program or to just let the new dwarfs be.

For me, the game losses its fun as the fortress develops because I no longer have control over the fortress.  (Note: I haven't utilize what tools already included in DF to help manage the fortress)  Where once we had individual dwarfs that we watched and cared about, we now have a swarm of random, uncontrolled dwarfs running around everywhere.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 07:42:17 pm »

I listened to the entire Podcast today, and, woot. Adventure Skills are in the near future :).
Well, Relatively in Dwarf Fortress terms.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 01:24:25 pm »

A higher FPS average.

Hm, I think that you gonna have less FPS actually, if you don't buy a better CPU.  :P I am not sure about this, but don't forget: the next version will have tons of new features. More features = less FPS usually.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 01:30:44 pm »

1. Adventurer sites/skills
2. Army Arc.
3. Books and such.
!!&!!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 02:40:38 pm »

A higher FPS average.

Hm, I think that you gonna have less FPS actually, if you don't buy a better CPU.  :P I am not sure about this, but don't forget: the next version will have tons of new features. More features = less FPS usually.

At the moment, the biggest eater of CPU is the pathfinding, especially with the SDL releases to make the rendering more efficient. Most of these new features don't have a whole lot to do with moving around (with the possible exception of the squad orders), so while there'll probably be a slight FPS increase, it won't be a very big one.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 02:48:47 pm »

I'm thinking the conquering the world starting from a single fort appeals to me. Followed by things like books and personalities for dwarfs, and lastly, randomly generated civ traits.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 03:00:40 pm »

1. Magic Arc - Especially in fortresses.
2. Underground Updates.
3.Dwarf fortress become powerful enough to transcend us.

Languidiir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://tcombat.b1.jcink.com
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 03:44:01 pm »

1. Random game generator for adventure mode
2. Boats
3. Books and paintings
A young man said, "Damn,
It is borne upon me that I am
   A creature that moves
   In predestinate grooves
Not even a bus, but a tram."

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 06:33:22 pm »

-Also the revamped venom system. I'm going to mod the hell out of it.
make it turn elves into goo and dwarves into soldiers.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 02:12:45 pm »

1. Adventurer skills/site
2. Adventurer relationships
3.physical descriptions.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 03:42:20 pm »

Scenarios. Just the game being good enough to randomly make assassins and randomly determine if they succeed is enough for me, never mind all the crazy other scenarios that could pop up.

Magic is easily second. Especially if there are random spell of some sort.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 12:46:02 am »

Woho Alert status! Now I can get all civilians to a safe spot! Thats what I look forward to right now.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6