Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: What are you looking forward to most?  (Read 5388 times)

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you looking forward to most?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 01:05:47 am »

Aside from what is coming in the next release:

1)
Adventurer skills would be awesome for me personally, especially if there is a way the game automatically designates areas. Like dungeons, towers, dungeon towers, towns, dungeon towns, tower towns, dungeon tower towns, etc.

Basically "If you build it, they will come" Sure, it's unlikely in any world one guy building a couple buildings, people move in, they build more and a town forms, but hey, neat concept.

2)
Having more interaction with the world in fortress mode, and having AI fortresses (along with AI taking over old fortresses, if they haven't been destroyed by [GENERIC REASON EVERYBODY DIES]), would make both Dwarf Mode and Adventurer Mode a lot more enthralling.

3)
Magic just because the way it -might- be implimented. I assume that it would go along with how people speak, how creatures have DNA and how people are described: An (un)intuitive system allowing the creation of custom spells (via raws) along with customizable spells using predefined spell effects (which could either help or hinder each element. FIRE-ICE spell doesn't roast then freeze everything... without a DELAY spell mixed in!)

I wouldn't expect any less for the magic system from Toady. -and I better not see less :shakesfist:-

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 04:40:27 pm »

Yesterday, I was going to post "Burrows" but I didn't think I should bother.

:D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 05:05:46 pm »

The adventurer skills, period.
Seriously, I'm going to have so much fun flooding towns, towers and fortresses rofl.
Also, for RP'ing, being able to build your own house and all is awesome as well, although I would prob still try to create a nice river next to my home :P

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2009, 08:22:29 pm »

A realistic economy...not just the dreaded Dwarven Economy, I mean a whole system where it actually takes more than one or two farmers to feed the whole population and there's a use for every dwarf.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 09:06:59 pm »

I'm looking forward to far, far too much.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 09:24:27 pm »

The adventurer skills, period.
Seriously, I'm going to have so much fun flooding towns, towers and fortresses rofl.
Also, for RP'ing, being able to build your own house and all is awesome as well, although I would prob still try to create a nice river next to my home :P

That's the dwarven way!  Rather than, say, just building a house near a river.   ;D

Also, +1 for being thrilled about impending burrows.  I've been following DevNow every day, as I'm sure many other people do, and this is the most exciting thing I've seen for months.
Longer term, it's Adventurer Skills that I look forward to.  I spend more time in Adventure mode than Fortress mode... it's much more fun than some people think already but with more skills in it'll be awesome.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 09:28:41 pm by pickupsticks »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 01:11:04 am »

I will spend more time in adventure mode once skills are in place.
It's the building crap that I like about fortress mode.
Running a cool fortress is awesome too, but I really like controlling one or a small group of characters. Preferably directly. Even though that's weird and completely unrealistic.

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 01:19:38 am »

Sowelu: I'm in a similar predicament.

The thing I was, and always have been looking forward to the most were burrows, and toady just throws then in, in a single day without a thought. Consider me Flabberghasted.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 04:10:26 am »

Religions, and Dorf gods actually... you know... DOING something!

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 09:38:08 pm »

1. Magic arc.  Judging by Armok 1 and Toady One's delightful overkill on feature implementation, it will be a very deep system indeed.  Being put in a fantasy world that can accurately reflect it is another huge advantage in and of itself.

2. Caravan arc.  I always find economic domination of the world much more interesting than military domination.  Probably because it's so rare in digital games.

3. New and amusing accounts of bugs.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 10:22:57 pm »

Squad stuff.  Looks like it'll solve a lot of the problems I've been having.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2009, 12:34:53 pm »

1. Magic arc.  Judging by Armok 1 and Toady One's delightful overkill on feature implementation, it will be a very deep system indeed.  Being put in a fantasy world that can accurately reflect it is another huge advantage in and of itself.

I'm actually not looking forward to that. I'm sure that when it comes, it'll be well done and I'll enjoy it, but I like DF as a fantasy world without magic, as it is now.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2009, 12:59:34 pm »

What I look forward too is that one day, Dwarf Fortress will be a house-hold name, and every other video game company will hang their heads in shame that the best game ever made was made by one man In a cave! With a box of scraps!

The improvement to the hauling system also looks good. `

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2009, 01:48:18 pm »

Religions, and Dorf gods actually... you know... DOING something!
This post has a lot of potential for snark.  Instead, I will point out that you can conduct a conversation with your god (mine was a god of pregnancy) in adventure mode.  Don't expect them to be too responsive, though.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2009, 03:45:37 pm »

What I look forward too is that one day, Dwarf Fortress will be a house-hold name, and every other video game company will hang their heads in shame that the best game ever made was made by one man In a cave! With a box of scraps!

The improvement to the hauling system also looks good. `

Iron man?

I'm looking forward to sieging the goblin bastards and better squad control.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6