Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Questions About Making a Roguelike  (Read 10261 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Questions About Making a Roguelike
« on: June 14, 2009, 07:42:47 pm »

I am EXTREMELY interested in making a Roguelike game of my own, but the ONLY tutorial I could find with actual coding help isn't finished... Can anyone recommend a way for me to learn how to code a Roguelike? Will it come naturally if I continue learning C++? Also, would it be easier to make it in a different language, like Python?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions About Making a Roguelike
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 07:53:31 pm »

First and foremost, this thread is what you are looking for. It menaces with spikes of usefulness.

I couldn't offer you a link to a tutorial, but personally I'd recommend using Lua. It's the most intuitive language I've ever used and it's open source, so you can poke around other peoples code if that's how you like to learn. I tried Python but for some reason it just didn't stick as well as Lua. C++ is powerful but for a roguelike you sort of don't need that kind of power. That's all really just my outlook though :P People could argue about the best language forever.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:48:08 pm »

If you don't know how to program, I'd suggest focusing on that first and the whole "roguelike" bit second. You'll get a ton of different opinions on which language to start with (personally I favor Python), but ultimately the most important thing is that you stick with it and keep practicing. Good luck!
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:55:50 pm »

Right now this is my level of proficiency in the different languages.

Lua: Basic understanding, can program levels in a game called ROBLOX.
Python: Can create simple programs for mathematic purposes (prime number lister, fibonacci sequence, etc.)
C++: EXTREMELY Basic understanding, can't learn without a REALLY REALLY indepth tutorial, cannot deviate from what I am taught.
Lolcode: Sort of, but definitely not using this.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:10:19 am »

Well, Derakon gives good advice. I would say, spend a little while taking general Python and Lua tutorials until you figure out which one you like, read that thread I linked a bit (I know...it's long) and check out some links there. Then when you're ready, program a small game for practice, just something to teach you how to draw maps and track damage and move a character around and keep everything organized. Then think about the game you really want to make.

A link to a beginner python/pygame tutorial.

A link to the first tutorial for LÖVE, a helpful tool for programming games with a limited knowledge of Lua.

I am feeling extra helpful today.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 12:45:54 am »

Great thanks for all the links, if it helps at all... I KNOW I want to use Python. Unless Lua or C++ or something else would be easier. Is Pygame able to make an ASCII Roguelike?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 01:52:11 am »

My experience with pygame is really limited, I'm not sure how much it would help with a roguelike. But it's just a python library, so I don't really see how it could hurt either.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 02:13:03 am »

Right. I think I know what you mean. I mean, it has to have all the ASCII characters, and thats all I need as far as graphics go.

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 03:56:57 am »

Having started a roguelike in python, here are some of my thoughts:
1. Although Pygame is really simple and useful for 2D projects, it is not so good for roguelikes
2. http://thedoryenlibrary.appspot.com/ is what you want, it is a roguelike library that has been ported to python that is very helpful. It sets up the basic framework of the game and takes away alot of the pointless tedious work, and is better to work with than Pygame if you are making a roguelike
3. Good luck

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 04:06:21 am »

Thanks I will check it out tomorrow, its too late to start anything tonight.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 01:13:24 pm »

There's no reason why you couldn't use Pygame to make a roguelike, but you'd be doing the whole "images of letters as graphics" thing that DF also does, instead of using a curses library to render text to the screen in specific locations.

However, if there's a specific library designed for what you want to do, I think your choice is clear. :)
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 11:51:36 pm »

Which would be more difficult, images of letters as graphics, or an actual console?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 12:03:46 am »

Just saying, making anything resembling a squad based roguelike will guarantee extensive playtesting on my part.

Not that that's much incentive, but still, it's sort of an under-explored branch in the roguelike tree.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 12:34:06 am »

Guild is awesome!

I plan to merge my favorite elements of every game.

This is basically my timeline for the next year of development.

(Prioritized by estimated complexity and logic)

v v v v  Distance from starting point, this doesn't mean how long it will take for that feature
1. (1 Month) Movement and Combat
| Moving around, duh.
| Fighting, duh
| Character and Monsters
| Simple Status Effects
| Sight
| Simple (possibly random) Dungeon
2. (1 1/2 Months) Character Creation
| Class
| Race
3. (2 Months) Advanced Character Creation
| Skills
| Attributes
| Etc.
4. (3 Months) Simple magic
| Projectile spells
| Status effect spells
| Conjuration spells
5. (4 Months) Companions/pets/minions
| Rescued Prisoners
| Familiars
| Tamed Monsters
6. (5 1/2 Months) Exploration
| More than 1 dungeon
| Dungeon features (altar rooms, hatcheries, etc.)
| Hunger/Thirst
7. ( 7 Months) Magic
| Scrolls
| Spellbooks
| Teachers
| Unique Spells (Teleportation, Mind Reading Etc.)
8. (8 Months - 2 Years)  Major Goals
| Player built settlements
| Guild-like character squads
| Spreading fire
| Unseen Events (wars, deaths, etc.)
| And more...

Does this seem like a realistic timeline? Also, would anyone actually be interested in playing a game like this, and for what reasons.

Also, do you think having friends working on it with me would speed it up or slow it down?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 12:38:02 am »

Good luck. ;)
You making me want to continue learning C++ just to compete, Tree Brother.
Pages: [1] 2 3