Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Questions About Making a Roguelike  (Read 10260 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions About Making a Roguelike
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 08:49:19 pm »

Inaluct: certainly, if the pixie is strong enough. They start out, IIRC, with like a -6 penalty to Strength (on a vaguely-D&D-like statistics scale), so such things won't be possible for them without some serious dedication.

Qwertyuiopas: that will only work for some item slots (what do you do with pixie-sized body armor or giant-sized boots?), and ends up feeling kinda weird where it does work.

Anyway, this is just flavor, really. There's more important things to focus on for gameplay.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 11:30:08 pm »

I think the small races should be considered food items by the game.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 08:28:14 am »

Hrm it looks like your really getting into Python. I'm sort of in the same boat but I've chosen C++, and let me point you to a tutorial that has slingshotted me into knowing at least the basics of C++ in an incredibly short amount of time, with much more to learn.
The guys over at 3D Buzz have created a series of C++ tutorials that take you through every-single-line of code and the methodology behind it to create a complete game. They then go on to teach you OpenGL (Haven't gone that far myself). I bought the series quite a few years ago but it looks like they stream almost the whole thing for free online now.
Definately check it out: http://www.3dbuzz.com/

Also, just noticed they have Python stuff there too. Neat!

P.S. - Hit the tiny little tear off arrow button to the right of the videos to get a bigger screen.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2009, 07:09:02 am »

If you know enough C++ don't forget that you can use PDCurses... It's all in the roguelike dev megathread...

PDCurses is designed specifically to handle ASCII characthers in the console... and it ROCKS!
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.
Pages: 1 2 [3]