Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bizarre pathing problem  (Read 1802 times)

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bizarre pathing problem
« on: July 05, 2009, 01:18:19 pm »

I am using the Dwarf Dream map and I made my main entrance on top of this mountain.  It was working fine until I added two more war dogs on chains.  I removed them but everyone still kept taking the second, smaller, entrance.  I locked up the second entrance and now the dwarfs have stopped pathing to my trade depot completely.  You can see my jeweler just north of the entrance locked out somehow, and one z-level underneath there are dwarfs storing items.  Dwarfs are not ordered indoors and none of the floor hatches are locked.  I ordered one hatch to be removed and the jeweler removed it, but still nobody will take stairs.  What is blocking the path?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre pathing problem
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 01:26:38 pm »

Try drafting one (or more if needed) of your dwarves or use one you already have as military and have him move in and around the entrance area. That may show what the problem is.

As far as the image, I don't see any problems as they should be able to go through the diagonals.

Edit: Also, try blocking off the second entrance, temporarily of course.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 01:27:31 pm »

Looks like a Stupid Dwarf Trick.

I'd suggest reshaping your entrances to be square openings rather than diagonal dance-throughs. That, and(or) or execute the Jeweler. It should be working, but isn't.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 01:46:59 pm »

There are about 5 - 6 dwarfs scatted outdoors and cannot get inside.  The rest are inside and cannot get outside.  The outside dwarfs can get to stairs and take off hatches, but nobody can get through stairs for some reason.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 01:51:00 pm »

hmm, it sounds like your down stairs have nothing to connect to. Are you sure there are some up stairs (or up/down stairs) right below the down stairs? I haven't messed around with hatches, so I'm not familiar in how they work in regards to stairs.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 02:00:07 pm »

I looked and indeed they are not connected.  It must be some glitch or bug because I dug it all out before I made my second entrance and the dwarfs were sealed in until the main entrance was finished  :-\

The up/down stairs underneath are now down stairs and now my designed is ruined.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 02:04:24 pm »

According to the wiki, you can build the hatches on top of the down stairs, so your plan should still be intact, if modified a bit.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 02:10:11 pm »

I looked and indeed they are not connected.  It must be some glitch or bug because I dug it all out before I made my second entrance and the dwarfs were sealed in until the main entrance was finished  :-\

The up/down stairs underneath are now down stairs and now my designed is ruined.

It's not a bug. Just use constructed staircases to connect them.
!!&!!

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 02:26:41 pm »

As long as I have been playing I have never tried to 'b'uild stairs on 'd'esignated stairs... thought it wouldn't work.

Not long before this happened the game seemed to lose my save.  I had a backup and replaced it with the other.  That made me think it may be bug.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 02:31:51 pm »

Is that the next level below? no wonder your dwarves couldn't get to that other exit/entrance.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 02:35:44 pm »

Yes, your down stairs are a hole in the ground that goes nowhere. Remove the down stairs on Z -1 and build up/down stairs. That should solve it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 02:37:54 pm »

Yes, your down stairs are a hole in the ground that goes nowhere. Remove the down stairs on Z -1 and build up/down stairs. That should solve it.

Actually, if they are designated stairs, just build some up stairs on the spot.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 02:48:59 pm »

I built upstairs on them but they don't seem to work like up/down stairs.  Dwarfs will take downstairs corridors between stockpile rooms as seen in pic.  I removed some upstairs and they defiantly do not path down designated downstairs with upstairs build on same tile.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 09:35:51 pm »

I've read that three times, and it made a different sense each time.

A "down stair" is a hole in the floor, the barrier between the level you are on and the next level down.  But alone it's only half of what's needed for a path.

An "up stair" will connect the level you are on with a "down stair" directly above it.  But alone it's only the other half of what's needed.

An "up/down stair" will do both - put a hole n the floor, and connect to a "down stair" above it.  But it's the bottom half of one path and the top half of the other path - not a solution by itself.

If you have a down stair (which includes the "down" part of an updown) but no upstair below it, you have no path, just a hole in the floor (or a hole in the ceiling if thinking about it from one level down). 

Likewise, if you have an upstair (which includes the "up" part of an updown) but no down stair above it, you have no path, just a stair leading up to a blank ceiling.  (See "Winchester Mystery House").

What it sounds like is that, somehow, you swept an area with the <d, z> designation and removed some upstairs (maybe while trying to remove some slopes?), and so have no way to get up to the hole in the ceiling.  If that's not the case, you've done some truly creative remodeling.

The suggestion to draft a dwarf and march them around is a good one.  See where they will go, and where they won't, and how they insist on getting there.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:37:36 pm by Albedo »