Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drowning Room Blueprint - Help?  (Read 1192 times)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drowning Room Blueprint - Help?
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:11:48 pm »

Okay, so I had this idea for a drowning room either in the entrance or the nobles quarters. Heres a blueprint:

Code: [Select]
Side view

WWWWW
XXX X
XXX X
X X X
XBX X
X F X
XXXXX

X = Wall
F = Floodgate
B = Some kind of grate or floor bars
W = Limitless river source

If I set a lever to the floodgate, will water pressure force water into the drowning room, above B? The bars/grate/whatever would let water through, but keep goblins, elves, humans and migrants in the room. Of course I would use doors to keep them in the room while the water rises.

Or perhaps a much simpler way:
Code: [Select]
Side view

WWWWWWWWW
        XRX
fort <--DrD--> entrance
        X X
        X X
        XCX

X = Wall
R = Retractable bridge
r = the room, with another bridge as the floor
C = chasm
D = lockable doors
W = water

Set different levers to both bridges, pull lever one to open the top bridge. Wait for water to fill up. Pull lever one again, wait for drowning. Pull lever 2, once everyones dead, and watch the chasm critters go crazy.

Neither of these are to scale, just a general idea.

So would either of these work? Which would be easier to set up? Or should I ditch this idea entirely because I have no idea what I'm doing, and stick with a simple drawbridge over ditch?

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
Re: Drowning Room Blueprint - Help?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:42:48 pm »

I think the water should work like you want it to in the first example, since water should try to fill up to the level of its source, but I've not tried this exact setup, so maybe someone else knows. 

The 2nd example is much simpler.  Might I suggest a layer of grates or bars between the top retractable bridge and the cistern/source.  This will keep any swimmers from getting out, though that probably isn't likely to happen.

You should also make sure your drainage is large enough that you can capture and drown various groups of goblins and then quickly drain the water to get the next group in.  Basically, a room below your drowning room that's the same size so you can pull the lever, dump water down, then replace the bridge for the next group.