Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A Vile Force of Darkness Appears! ( music )  (Read 11482 times)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Vile Force of Darkness Appears! ( music )
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 07:21:07 am »

Huh, I'm the first to say that I wouldn't like the song to be in the game, don't get me wrong it's good just not DF good.

It doesn't exactly fit the "this is the fantasy medieval theme" and personally I don't feel that snare drums were exactly within the time frame that DF is trying to set.

I kinda said that.  ;)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 08:56:07 am »

not bad at all, although i thought that the rhythm could use some work at times and the organ could be more epic, for lack of a better word.

The snare/bass/timpani rhythm is for the most part the same throughout the whole song...  I should have added a bit more variety, but I didn't want it to be too distracting from the melody, or the gameplay for that matter.

He might be open to allowing a trigger system for other tracks on events though. I would assume he'll have to implement something like that when he does it anyway and it sounds like a minimal bit of work if your not writing the music now as well :)

That would be ideal! 

Huh, I'm the first to say that I wouldn't like the song to be in the game, don't get me wrong it's good just not DF good.

It doesn't exactly fit the "this is the fantasy medieval theme" and personally I don't feel that snare drums were exactly within the time frame that DF is trying to set.

I see where you're coming from.  The game does appear to be set in the Dark Ages, and I doubt they had half the instruments I used in that.  I know violin/viola/cello weren't around until the 16th century, and the French Horn doesn't come around until much later.

Luckily the church organ came of age around the 12th century, so that one is fair game :D 

Organ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 09:34:38 am »

Nothing against your composition, but I think stylistically it's too far from Toady's minimalist and nonstandard sounding guitar. I think Toady is right to do the soundtrack himself, if only to keep it consistent. He really is a great guitarist, I liked the music for kobold's  quest as well.
The fight in the dog in your what?

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 09:57:31 am »

Nothing against your composition, but I think stylistically it's too far from Toady's minimalist and nonstandard sounding guitar. I think Toady is right to do the soundtrack himself, if only to keep it consistent. He really is a great guitarist, I liked the music for kobold's  quest as well.

Likewise the Mayday graphics pack is pretty far from the standard ASCII..  But it was still made and a lot of people enjoy it, and a lot of people don't.  That's the great thing about DF, is that it currently is so open and adjustable that it can be made "perfect" for just about anyone.  I like the more bombastic, epic, full symphonic works reminiscent of Final Fantasy.  Toady's guitar work is definitely VERY good, and fits the game great, but this is an alternate flavor.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 10:03:09 am »

I love the song!

On a pseudo-off topic railing, What did you use to create it? A step-by-step would be awesome. I like seeing the production that goes into making something awesome.

- Melly

Uninvited Guest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 10:14:39 am »

pretty cool indeed. hopefully when toady adds more music, he'll put in various triggers (seasons, HFS, sieges...), and we can just add to the song pool (like how morrowind works). i have confidence in toady as i enjoy the current epic dwarf fortress medley.

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 02:19:03 pm »

I love the song!

On a pseudo-off topic railing, What did you use to create it? A step-by-step would be awesome. I like seeing the production that goes into making something awesome.

- Melly

First I write out the melodies in Guitar Pro 4, then I export the MIDI into Reaper.  In there I humanize the tracks to make it sound more realistic, and then I render everything with East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Silver.  I don't recommend East West, though, it is pretty buggy and annoying to use.  Vienna Symphonic Library SE is a much better program for not a whole lot more money.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 02:21:11 pm »

Also, if anyone has any requests for other themes, I'll try and get some done

Elf merchants.....

But seriously now, do one for Kobolds that sounds like Yakety Sax or something catchy and happy sounding, cuz all you do is chase the kobolds around, its like soccer but the ball is alive and the only goal is to behead the ball.
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 03:33:10 pm »

Elf merchants.....

But seriously now, do one for Kobolds that sounds like Yakety Sax or something catchy and happy sounding, cuz all you do is chase the kobolds around, its like soccer but the ball is alive and the only goal is to behead the ball.

Not like soccer at all ;P
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 05:17:57 pm »

Elf merchants.....

Not like soccer at all ;P
I had a fey mood recently, and came up with a blue print for a turn based strategy game made in df called "Dwarf Fortball".  Suffice to say the goal is to get a bauxite "Ball" into your opponents "Goal".  You can't attack the opponents team, but you take turns pulling an elaborate series of levers and giving your team orders.  the levers can raise and lower bridges, send jets of water out, realse random cages full of animals and of course relase the magma.  This has not been constructed yet.

Organ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 11:52:13 pm »

Likewise the Mayday graphics pack is pretty far from the standard ASCII..  But it was still made and a lot of people enjoy it, and a lot of people don't.  That's the great thing about DF, is that it currently is so open and adjustable that it can be made "perfect" for just about anyone.  I like the more bombastic, epic, full symphonic works reminiscent of Final Fantasy.  Toady's guitar work is definitely VERY good, and fits the game great, but this is an alternate flavor.
You're right of course, there's something to be said for customization in a game where you're telling your story. Still I guess you wouldn't be surprised to hear that I'm not a fan of the Mayday graphics pack either.  ;D
The fight in the dog in your what?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2009, 07:57:07 am »

This is pretty sweet.

Also...
Ambushes should play the Metal Gear Solid "!" noise.
Yes, please!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2009, 09:00:00 am »

Very epic music!

Although it's much too epic for goblins. I only had two goblin sieges yet and I didn't have a military ready. So I just closed the doors and nothing happened. I had a bit of wood shortage, but that's all. I guess it would've annoyed me to hear this music the whole time.
HFS music would be awesome and I also support the idea of a happy kobold music.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2009, 09:31:12 pm »

This is so the theme song of my next major Lawful Evil D&D villian.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2009, 10:39:19 pm »

Should get this implanted into the game whenever a seige happens.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads
Pages: 1 2 [3]