Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: May PC sales  (Read 12389 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
May PC sales
« on: June 18, 2009, 05:24:58 pm »

Found an interesting article online showing the top 20 sales for PC games in May.

It had some surprises in it. But one really stood out for me.

1. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King - Blizzard
2. The Sims 2 Double Deluxe - Electronic Arts
3. World of Warcraft Battle Chest - Blizzard
4. World of Warcraft - Blizzard
5. Empire: Total War - Creative Assembly/Sega
6. Spore - Electronic Arts
7. Left 4 Dead - Valve
8. The Sims 2 Apartment Life - Electronic Arts
9. Fallout Trilogy - Interplay
10. StarCraft: Battle Chest - Blizzard
11. World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade - Blizzard
12. Demigod - Gas Powered Games/Stardock
13. Real Deal Slots Adventure - Phantom EFX
14. The SimCity Box - Electronic Arts
15. Fallout 3 - Bethesda Softworks
16. Diablo Battle Chest - Blizzard
17. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition - Bethesda Softworks
18. Warcraft III Battle Chest - Blizzard
19. Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II - Relic/THQ
20. Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor - Relic/THQ

Really? The Starcraft Battle Chest is number 10 in sales? The game is over 10 years old. I know some of that must be people who used to own it picking up new copies but...still. I wonder what that says about the quality of PC games available...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: May PC sales
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:44:18 pm »

Also note: Starcraft 2 is coming out this year, so interest is peaking higher again.

Also, sales figures never ever consider digital sales. So this is just stuff at retail stores, which rarely carry all that much selection anymore..

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 05:50:53 pm »

What worries is me is how Blizzard is topping the chart and how popular CoH:ToV is. Considering it's just a piece of shit expansion.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 05:55:55 pm »

Starcraft makes sense.  Who still has their key?  I sure don't.  :(

And lots of kiddies who are now around 16 or so grew up on Warcraft 3, (because everyone else plays it) and realize that Starcraft is actually superior, and even if it's dated enough to annoy their poor little heads, they want to be good at Starcraft so they don't humiliate themselves when the sequel comes out!

Actually that last reason is a good reason for ME to buy it...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:16:09 pm »

Really? The Starcraft Battle Chest is number 10 in sales? The game is over 10 years old. I know some of that must be people who used to own it picking up new copies but...still. I wonder what that says about the quality of PC games available...
There's also a pack of 8-12 years old games right above it (with the better part of it being the 11-12 years old games).

And both of these are probably a result of the recent/soon-to-be-released sequels. Although usually people buy the predecessors before the successors are released to get a grasp of what the series is about, so I find the 9th position slightly more notable.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:19:33 pm »

Fallout Trilogy...  now that you pointed it out... it is an odd one.  Why did interest peak so much for the old Fallout stuff?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:21:02 pm »

Fallout generates enormous word-of-mouth, and it's from an era where games were getting a little unwieldly to pirate.  It's one of the first big games that many people wished they had when it came out, and couldn't download.  Now those people have jobs, and can afford to buy them--instead of playing for a couple hours at a friend's house.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 06:21:17 pm »

Fallout 3.

Also, Warcraft 3 is superior to Starcraft.  I hate both of the RTS's, but Warcraft 3's custom games have given it a longevity like nothing I've ever played.
Shoes...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 06:46:28 pm »

Fallout 3.
Has been out for quite awhile, but eh...

Also, Warcraft 3 is superior to Starcraft.  I hate both of the RTS's, but Warcraft 3's custom games have given it a longevity like nothing I've ever played.
I personally prefer Starcraft over WC3... but, since the WC3 custom map maker is newer and has less limitations over SC, it wins out of course.  Really, that is one of the few advantages it has over SC in my opinion, albeit a deal breaker.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 07:05:49 pm »

Warcraft 3's custom games DOTA have given it a longevity an annoying pop-culture following like nothing I've ever played.

I miss playing zergling blood, if you want to talk simple mindless custom games, myself.  :)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 08:23:12 pm »

I mostly played Parasite, Zerg Infestation, Happyville, Uther Party, Star Trek: Galactic Conquest, and stuff along those lines.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 08:25:09 pm »

You think StarCraft at #10 is weird?  What about Warcraft and it's boxes at #1, #3, #4, and #11?

What about The Sims 2 and an expansion for it at #2 and #8?

What about fucking Spore at #6?

What about a Diablo (not 2, just Diablo) battlechest at #16?

What about a goddamn slot machine program at #13?  Who even buys those?

Two things to learn:
One, all that garbage about voting for quality games by pirating the crap games is clearly not working.
Two, Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 08:26:36 pm »

What's wrong with Diablo?
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 08:33:27 pm »

Nothing's wrong with Diablo, I was just pointing out that it's odd that it of all things would be selling so well, especially without Diablo 2 on there.

I was talking about Spore.  It's #6, months after launch, despite being pirated and riffed by the entire Internet.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 08:37:38 pm »

Hm. I say that we get all major sources of power over the internet (Twitter, Skype, The Escapist, Penny Arcade, and Newgrounds) and have them unite under one pow-

Yeah I'm not going to do this. No interesting games for me to play != acting silly. *Sigh*

Although I did hear that mars game that just came out is a moderately better smelling pile of crap then the other mainstream games, so I may take a look at that. Obviously this list is fucked up, so anyone got any advice on what games to get?
Pages: [1] 2