Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Attack Formula (from Toady)  (Read 17880 times)

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Attack Formula (from Toady)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 08:13:41 pm »

Um... only because I am a stickiler...

"15*5=65 pain"  should be "15*5=75 pain"

Stickler.

I see what you did there

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 08:31:32 pm »

All ammo in the currently released a critboost of 2.  It's just not moddable.  In all of this, most of these formulas are probably out for the next version.  Negative critboosts act like zero.

As far as I could tell digging around, heat/cold/burn damage are all the same except for where they come from and what text they produce.

Speed controls how many attacks you get, as it controls the rate of every other conscious act you are allowed to take.  If a creature is swimming, it'll use their swim speed for everything.  The speed split is one of the most important parts of the combat arc, and it'll have impacts everywhere. 

Speed has a few pages of modifiers...  here, higher is slower.  magma swimming is x2, swim skill starts modifying speed at level 2, and from 2 to 15 it multiplies by 19/20 to 6/20.  If you are not swimming but just walking through the liquid due to lack of skill, it adds 150*depth to your speed for water and 300*depth to your speed for magma.  babies get +3000.  each level of exertion adds 200.  gutted +2000.  naus/wind/stun +1000 each.  pain w/out trance +1000.  each level of hunger thirst sleep +100.  leading an animal 1000.  zombie 5000  ground 2000  sneaking if not a trained animal 2000 - sneak*100 where sneak is the skill level up to 20.  paralyze level*100.  web level * 100.   every agility level up to 5 takes off 10%.  if you are not on the ground and your race has >=3 limbs and you don't have the use of 1+ of them, then if positive add the number (500*(bad limbs)/(total-total/2-1)) - toughness*100.  melancholy mood + 8000.

finally the inventory speed:  add up all the weights, but if armor skill>=2 only count armor as (15-ask)/16 -- so legendary armor users aren't affected at all by armor.  then take 2000 + strength*1000.  if the weight is greater than this, take the difference.  speed + (diff/2+1)

speed capped at 9999.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 07:10:13 am »

...race has >=3 limbs and...
>=3

JESUS CHRIST ITS A LION! GET IN THE CAR!

More seriously:
When in the order of operations does the agility level modifier get applied?
At the very end? At the very beginning? Between misc. modifiers and inventory weight?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 07:27:02 am »

The order I gave there is the order in the code.  The idea is that agility would affect everything except the ones that depend on toughness and strength.  Melancholy is kind of a special case.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 07:29:21 am »

Ok, thanks.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 01:16:24 pm »

Wow, had no idea it was so involved. Thanks for the info, it's really useful.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 09:36:06 pm »

I've got to say, I'm impressed with the number of factors that affect combat.
DF is undoubtedly the deepest game out right now. It's amazing what one dedicated man with a little support (personal and financial) can accomplish.  ;D

And in regards to the OP, I disagree.

You are Urist McDigger.
You have a bronze pick and are a no-prefix level miner.
You come out of your cavern, and a dragon appears.
He is hungry.

... What do you think happens next?

Ick. Accidental minor necropost. >>  Sorry.  Reading through a few pages of this forum.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:41:40 pm by Tenth Speed Writer »
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 05:49:29 am »

How do you disagree? Did he kill a dragon? Probably there's something else or he was charging and entered a martial trance? :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 03:24:31 pm »

Also, in case it never came up, dodge/parry/block rolls are simply opposed to the hit roll and the winner wins.  The order is dodge, block, parry, if I remember, so if you have a shield and you see a parry message, that means the other two rolls failed.  You gain skill according to the roll you opposed.

This seems to have a lot of meaning for normal players in training.  Specifically, if you train wrestling high before you get a shield, it'll be hard to train shield use.  (There's a few lesser implications)

[P]sYDoNiA

• Bay Watcher
  • Quick, Hide the Weed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 06:42:49 pm »

This is incredibly great.

Despite the fact that im only 13, in gonna donate as much as I can make in a month from my entrepreneurial business... I make around 15 bucks a school day! :D (Thats a hell of a lot for meh!)

Sorry if I'm asking questions already answered, but does the poisons and toxins (or whatever) coming out in the next version have any effect on the player?

Does evasion/dodging apply to this?

Also, I personally think you should make it when someone it hit by cold attack its like partial webbing, and burn damage is more likely to enrage the attacked.

'Cause when I burn people with my lighter they usually start screaming and throwing things at me. :/
//The Knight of PsYDoNiA\\
\\     .:JoiN The Order:.   //

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 11:31:58 am »

Bump in case someone needs it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 07:09:42 pm »

Awesome thread. Bump again.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 07:10:35 pm »

What is the effect of fighting with a two handed weapon and only using one hand for it.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 09:20:04 pm »

Perhaps I missed something obvious, but the attack formula seems to make it impossible for a dwarf to damage a sufficiently large creature. While testing, I've had a new hunter wielding a crossbow be able to give light-gray damage to a [SIZE:1000] creature before getting killed. If the formula is accurate, how is this possible? Is there a hidden cap on size?

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 09:24:22 pm »

Perhaps I missed something obvious, but the attack formula seems to make it impossible for a dwarf to damage a sufficiently large creature. While testing, I've had a new hunter wielding a crossbow be able to give light-gray damage to a [SIZE:1000] creature before getting killed. If the formula is accurate, how is this possible? Is there a hidden cap on size?

Quote from: ToadyOne
At this point, if the attack is at 0, and a very hard roll is made against the skill-modified hit roll, there is a chance it gets raised to 1 regardless of all prior obstacles.  This in particular allows highly-skilled or lucky fighters to injure gigantic creatures.

From the spoiler in the first post.
Pages: 1 [2] 3