Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some sad cows.  (Read 2509 times)

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some sad cows.
« on: June 24, 2009, 03:50:55 pm »

One of my miners was removing ramps to further secure my butcher shops' ventilation and accidentally sealed himself off without me realizing it.  Now his pet cow mourns on top of my fortress on top of where his body was found.  She gave birth but still keeps to herself up there.  Here is a pic of her getting a visit from another cow.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some sad cows.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 03:53:34 pm »

Yeah, I've found that unadopted animals will sit by the place their former owner died until they die. I don't know if someone else adopting that will change it or not, but I assume so.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 04:18:21 pm »

Yeah, I've found that unadopted animals will sit by the place their former owner died until they die. I don't know if someone else adopting that will change it or not, but I assume so.

Butchering them will certainly change it ;)
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 06:55:09 pm »

I only butcher her calf.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 09:07:33 pm »

Him getting stuck up there I can understand.

but he died? did you not check on him? :o don't you guys checkup on your dwarves, their relations and grudges on a regular basis?? Monsters!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 10:36:00 pm »

Him getting stuck up there I can understand.

but he died? did you not check on him? :o don't you guys checkup on your dwarves, their relations and grudges on a regular basis?? Monsters!

I do check on my dwarves, especially the original 7... as for the others happiness, I've never had to worry about that, my forts are that good >.>

but I pay attention to them especially when I designate digging or building, because my disposable workforce can still build till they're shot.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 11:04:40 pm »

I just asked about this over on Gamplay Questions; One of my fisherdwarfs got chomped by a sturgeon, and his assigned dog hung out on the site until the (now-named) sturgeon attacked again. The dog won, but suffered mortal injuries in the process. Sadly, instead of getting a coffin like he deserved, he was tossed on the refuse pile.  >:(
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 06:25:45 am »

I just asked about this over on Gamplay Questions; One of my fisherdwarfs got chomped by a sturgeon, and his assigned dog hung out on the site until the (now-named) sturgeon attacked again. The dog won, but suffered mortal injuries in the process. Sadly, instead of getting a coffin like he deserved, he was tossed on the refuse pile.  >:(

Animals lose their pet status when their owner dies, and unless they're adopted, they'll be treated like any other animal.

I find this a very useful way of dealing with immigrants who arrive with pet cats. All that's required is a speedy recruitment and a well placed drawbridge and my fortress is feasting on cat tallow biscuits in no time.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 07:39:10 am »

Dogsashi saw his master be attacked by the foul creature of below.
His master perished, torn from this world and thrown into the next. Dogsashi had failed to save him.
Without an owner, Dogsashi was without honor. He was a despicable piece of trash. An eta. He vowed to fight, he vowed to avenge his master, so that he might gain his honor back.
Dogsashi waited. Day and night until the beast once again revealed itself.
The battle was fierce and the river ran red with blood, Dogsashi appeared victorious! His master avenged. Fate did not smile on Dogsashi this day though, because he suffered a mortal wound.
Dogsashi made it back to the city before collapsing. While his bravery had been proven it was too late. Dogsashi had been a horrible servant.
He did not fight when his masters life was in danger. He only fought when his own honor was.

For this reason the elders throwed his body in the trash. To be ground up and forgotten ... but the fierce battle in the stream would never be forgotten. Neither would the unnamed warrior dog who fought so valiantly and freed the peasants from a demon most foul.
I have an art blog now.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 08:32:59 am »

(cont..)

And while Dogsashi had failed his master, he made excellent biscuits, making everyone happy.

The End.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 09:22:59 am »

I don't know if even the ancient barbarian samurai would turn ronins into biscuits ...

... then again these are dwarves.
I have an art blog now.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 12:50:44 pm »

I do normally check on masons and diggers because they get trapped easily, but I had 8 miners at that time and they were all busy at different z-levels.  He was replaced by two peasant miners to keep up production.