Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Strange and Funny Ocurrances  (Read 17083 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange and Funny Ocurrances
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 09:02:20 pm »

I just noticed that one of the gods that my dwarves worship is named.... Sarek!

For those who don't get the reference, Sarek is Spocks father, from Star Trek. The diety himself though is definetly dwarven, not vulcan and represents mountains and caves.

The RNG ended up making a real name, heh.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 09:37:29 pm »

My dungeon master worries me to no end.

Of my 130+ dwarves, he only makes friends with children. No matter how many parties the others host, he only attends those of the children... and just now he demanded a cage placed in his bedroom.

I'll have to keep my eye on him.

You didn't start worrying when he strutted around your fortress in nothing but 30 cloaks on his way to tame a dragon? 
Hey, these are nobles. There's no accounting for taste with some folk.

I was thinking my Dungeon master was weird, for running around in cloacks, socks, shoes en mittens, but apparently it is common among the higher class dwarves.
He only has mittens on the one hand.

I just noticed that one of the gods that my dwarves worship is named.... Sarek!

For those who don't get the reference, Sarek is Spocks father, from Star Trek. The diety himself though is definetly dwarven, not vulcan and represents mountains and caves.

The RNG ended up making a real name, heh.
Technically, Vulcan was a harsh, dry, mountainous planet.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 09:38:43 pm »

I was still surprised to see the Star Trek reference there though.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 09:51:47 pm »

I can't find Sarek in the Dwarven language file. Or any other language file, either.

Either he misspelled it (somehow), he's lying (happens a lot here), or he's using a mod that includes a few new words (developed by a star trek fan).

And yeah, first names come from language files too. Only the semi-coherent kobolds use randomly generated words.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:21:06 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 10:09:10 pm »

I can't find Sarek in the Dwarven language file. Or any other language file, either.

Either he misspelled it (somehow), he's lying (happens a lot here), or he's using a mod that includes a few new words (developed by a star trek fan).

And yeah, first names come from language files too. Only the semi-coherent kobolds use randomly generated words.

I'll give you proof :P

I am using the Mayday mod, and after I post the screenshots, I'll try to search for sarek.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: It's apparently the word that means echo. It may have been added by Mike Mayday.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:16:15 pm by smjjames »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 10:13:52 pm »

Eh, I'm still right then. Wonder if Mayday did that intentionally.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 10:14:24 pm »

Maybe it's a kobold deity.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 10:16:47 pm »

I like kobold Civ names and etc...

Kododobosijirus... aint spelt right but i remember the repeated dodododododododo thing.... made me giggle
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 10:18:07 pm »

Eh, I'm still right then. Wonder if Mayday did that intentionally.

I mainly didn't like the accusation that I was lying, but yea, as the saying goes, screenshots or it doesn't exist.

I edited my first post as I found the word.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 10:20:39 pm »

I apologize for the accusation. I'm tired and cranky and I tend to be a bit tactless when I'm tired. Sorry.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 10:24:08 pm »

In one fort, my first engraving that looked like something other than a random symbol (excluding my ever-prevalent civ symbol of two tentacle demons) was my mayor embracing a dog.

Later in a tantrum spiral (which wasn't magma related or deliberate, I swear!) he went berserk and got killed my dogs.

Heh.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 10:24:31 pm »

Apology accepted :), you didn't really hurt my feelings, but still didn't really like it.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 04:10:53 am »

This is an old one, but way back when, I noticed this formation of stuff in my trade depot as I was just about to start the test of my obsidian factory:

Since a few people were confused about what they were looking at there when I first posted it, the barrels and bins are forming a skull.  Needless to say, I spent half an hour rechecking my reservoir seals and lever assignments.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 08:36:50 am »

On the subject of clothing; my main miner is currently wearing 3 pairs of trousers and 2 socks on the same foot.

Also there must have been some interesting happenings in world gen because my current fort is festuned with engravings of bears, bears killing dwarves, bears being killed by dwarves, dwarves shooting bears, you get the idea. They account for about 50% of my engravings to the point where the grand tomb of my favoured champion is filled with the same 1 or 2 images of bears having ears torn off.

Oh and finally, I managed to get an elven caravan onto my "bridges-over-river-hooked-up-to-lever" trap, the goods get scattered and an elf and his mule go into the river. The elf drowned shortly after, but the mule didn't even have the "drowning" status, instead it swam across the river and climbed out through a diagonal gap in the wall. I would have let it escape as a mark of respect, but he died after walking into a goblin ambush..
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 11:20:48 am »

I like kobold Civ names and etc...

Kododobosijirus... aint spelt right but i remember the repeated dodododododododo thing.... made me giggle

When embarking with a modded adventure with a random name, I got one with 6 apostrophes and 1 vowel.  It was about 20 letters long.
Pages: 1 [2] 3