Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Strange and Funny Ocurrances  (Read 16916 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Strange and Funny Ocurrances
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 04:09:47 pm »

...so I'm mining out this giant-ass mountain wh-

You have struck Native Silver!
You have struck Golden Beryl!
You have struck Horn Silver!
You have struck Brown Zircon!
You have struck Pink Tourmaline!

Snatcher! Protect the children!
You have struck Lune Crystal! (mod)

All of those happened less than a second after I unpaused from the previous message, most happening mere frames afterword.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 04:43:06 pm »

I've had that happen when I reveal a bottomless pit or a chasm, the spam thing.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 04:51:45 pm »

He only has mittens on the one hand.

PROTECT THE CHILDREN!

On my end, I've waltzed into a map with about 25 female hippos and a bunch of males...The following spring was epic. Then the carp on the same map ripped a leg clean off a dwarf, and allowed him to crawl one tile away...to the enter of a three-tile bridge over a river. I had free beds. It's almost as if they knew that if they let the dwarf live for a while longer more would come to them...almost all the carp in that section of the river got names. I retaliated with tamed hippos, however.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:55:44 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 06:41:08 pm »

At one point a dragon decided to spawn right after I'd bought a full caravan of booze. I closed the door and stationed my archers behind it, figuring I'd deal with it as it came through. Unfortunately, there were still a couple of dwarves trying to haul booze in from the depot. The dragon swooped down to the depot, and, with terrible menace, breathed fire on poor Urist McHaulerdwarf. The ensuing booze explosion destroyed the depot, both dwarves, and the dragon. The dragon rained down over the area, flaming chunks lighting all the vegetation around my fort on fire.

After I picked my jaw off my keyboard I used my newly acquired knowledge to develop a new, booze based, defence strategy.

-D.B.
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 06:45:39 pm »

At one point a dragon decided to spawn right after I'd bought a full caravan of booze. I closed the door and stationed my archers behind it, figuring I'd deal with it as it came through. Unfortunately, there were still a couple of dwarves trying to haul booze in from the depot. The dragon swooped down to the depot, and, with terrible menace, breathed fire on poor Urist McHaulerdwarf. The ensuing booze explosion destroyed the depot, both dwarves, and the dragon. The dragon rained down over the area, flaming chunks lighting all the vegetation around my fort on fire.

After I picked my jaw off my keyboard I used my newly acquired knowledge to develop a new, booze based, defence strategy.

-D.B.
Okay, pics of your defense in action or this didn't happen. You may finally be able to put the booze bomb debate to rest.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 06:56:36 pm »

Okay, pics of your defense in action or this didn't happen. You may finally be able to put the booze bomb debate to rest.

Deal. I'll have to set it up in the current version of my fort. How spectacular would you like it?

-D.B.
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 07:00:27 pm »

Five goblins just managed to survive my execution tower by landing on a leatherworker. The leatherworker didn't move because he was too busy fighting off the gobboes.

His only stats are Strong and Extremely Tough and he's wearing nothing save a pair of shoes, but he somehow managed to fight off two of them.

Three other goblins also landed on him, but instead of fighting him they ran like hell. Straight into my cage traps.

Oh, and it looks like he finally got out of the way just in time to avoid catching a sixth.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 07:39:35 pm »

I've tried to get booze explosions, but couldn't, at least with magma anyway.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 08:43:14 pm »

Deal. I'll have to set it up in the current version of my fort. How spectacular would you like it?

-D.B.

How about showing us a trade depot-sized lot of booze igniting next to some cats/recruits? Use quantum dumping if you have to, but I definitely want to see it in action-best of all, make a recording of it in action.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 09:02:06 pm »

booze based defence strategy.

this made me laugh :P

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 10:36:48 pm »

I once had a hunter chasing a mountain goat near a magma vent when a fire imp decides to have roasted goat.  The ranger escaped (thank Armok fire can't travel down z-lvls) his hunting dogs escaped too but three puppies ran up to find the mother and were promptly roasted to a crisp.  A season later i had 5 imps on the surface so I sent a single marksdwarf up and because of all the trees and the recnt torching none of their fire balls caught and he kill all of them.  however my butcher was a retard and butchered one of them.  The fat eventually killed everyone. I'm never revenging puppies again.
Nom nom nom

Judicator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 10:21:44 am »

Notes from the Overseer of Hamlet Idormeng, "Howllash"

Somehow, into mid-Felsite of our second year, we are still standing.  This has been my first fortress assignmen, aside from some mucking about with providing drink and having difficulty understanding traders (meaning I can't understand what the STRIKETHEEARTH they say).  We have accomplished much since our arrival, with the exception of losing one of the original seven (poor "Lazy," he was a sturdy one) to an unfortunate channeling incident.

Our original cavern, recently expanded.  I switch between ASCII and Mayday DFG.

Anyhow, after receiving no immigrants the first season, this spring we received seventeen.  Seventeen!  I don't know if you've ever had a similar event, but you can't pre-empt expansion when your population almost quadruples!  Of all the strange things, that, and the lack of attack from forest or mountain creatures makes this Dwarf uneasy. 

And to you up there: Vulcan was a Greek forge-god.  Thus, Spock's father could've had a runic name or whatever.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 12:19:06 pm »

booze based defence strategy.

this made me laugh :P

You already have one, dwarves.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:20:54 pm by warlordzephyr »
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes
Pages: 1 2 [3]