Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Area 51 "Alien" laptop  (Read 3722 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Area 51 "Alien" laptop
« on: June 19, 2009, 09:13:51 pm »

i remember hearing about a computer made specifically for games. called area 51, or alien....sant remember.

i want to know how its different from other laptops? is it just equipped with powerful video cards and memory, or does it have a completly different layout and you cant use things like microsoft windows word or anything like that.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 "Alien" laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 09:17:12 pm »

Alienware, dunno how good they would be though, they seem mostly just expensive.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:36:16 pm »

They are good, but the prices are obscene. It's gone down quite a bit thanks to Dell buying it over though, but still. Expensive. They also sport the current most powerful gaming laptop available for retail purchasing.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:49:29 pm »

They're only expensive 'cause you're paying for a name.
It's like buying Kleenex instead of Generic Brand Tissues.

It's cheaper to build the computer yourself, but doing that with laptops is really hard.
If you're intent on getting a laptop, go ahead and buy it, it's a good brand.
Otherwise, build your own.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:53:21 pm »

They're only expensive 'cause you're paying for a name.
It's like buying Kleenex instead of Generic Brand Tissues.

It's cheaper to build the computer yourself, but doing that with laptops is really hard.
If you're intent on getting a laptop, go ahead and buy it, it's a good brand.
Otherwise, build your own.
This is really true. If you live in the US, you might consider getting a laptop from http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/. It's cheaper.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 12:25:51 am »

If you want portable entertainment, get a book.

If you want gaming, get a desktop computer.

Gaming laptops are heavy, awkward, expensive, and only for the desperate addicts.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 02:43:14 am »

I'd disagree with that. Gaming laptops might be a bit heavy to carry around, true, but when you're travelling somewhere for a short enough time that getting a desktop is pointless (read: anything short of moving there), they allow you to play specification-heavy games without massive lag. Plus, you can use them on the couch.

But yeah, if you're staying at home then it's a lot of money for very little gain.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 03:29:02 am »

True. I'm highly against gaming laptops. You can play DF and Armageddon MUD on a standard one.

The Alienware stuff is damn good, though, yeah, the prices are obscene. You get what you pay for, of course. I think they perform better than the standard cheap assembled standard desktop. The Alienware stuff is designed early for power; standard PC is designed for what's most effective at the moment.

Like Kleenex vs Generic Brand Tissues - you're getting a bit more, something that actually has some research spent on it, and a good feeling when you use it, but it's not very cost-effective.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 05:31:20 am »

Huh...I always build my desktop comps to be honest, and they are at least as good as these Alienware desktops. [Well yeah, it takes no effort at all to be honest..]
However their laptops are "interesting". I never heard about this company, so thanks for the info.  :)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 06:08:59 am »

Huh...I always build my desktop comps to be honest, and they are at least as good as these Alienware desktops. [Well yeah, it takes no effort at all to be honest..]

Way to exaggerate :P

Even if you manage to stay in front of the tech specs (and Alienware is always at the cutting edge of gaming technology), and they do have extra cooled and overclocked hardware... you won't get the awesome cases they have. Those desktops are meant to be put on top of the table, where everyone can see it!

Oh, and note that if you don't like the specs, they let you customize it too. Alienware may be for filthy rich, game-addicted geeks, but it's the Ferrari of the gaming computer world.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 01:34:43 pm »

Quite a lot of us who travel a lot need the gaming laptop you know. It's the poor, at home all the time suckers who always denounce them. There's no shame in getting one.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 02:03:16 pm »

I don't even have a desk.
Getting a desktop is kinda silly for me.
Unless, of course, the monitor is small enough for me to keep on my lap.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 02:17:46 pm »

I have a desk, but it's too small to fit everything, so I have to put the keyboard in my lap, under a pillow to raise it up to a carpal-friendly level.  I don't have a chair, and my dwarf-rigged approximation of a chair is too short for the desk.  I can't wait until I have a real desk/chair.
Shoes...

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 05:13:10 pm »

Bleh Alienware. If you REALLY need a gaming laptop, they make Core i7 ones with GTX280m's in then for 2200, which is cheap compared to Alienware crap. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/CyberPower-Xplorer-X7-Xtreme,8082.html
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 05:18:14 pm »

£1,050, how much is that in US dollars?

also, im sure no company has tech as good as alien ware, and i have a freaking load of money (1200-1400 dollars) so i want to just buy the best and be happy forever.

is Alienware JUST for gaming? or does it run normally for internet, movies....all the normal laptop stuff.

do they already have the latest video cards and stuff?
Pages: [1] 2 3