Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NationStates 1  (Read 1580 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
NationStates 1
« on: June 20, 2009, 10:32:06 pm »

So I finally bit the bullet and reactivated my nation back on Nationstates. Again.
* Servant Corps sighs.

Anyway, it is because of a new change in the World Assembly that got me grated.

Have any of you had any experience in invasions? If not, let me explain. One day, a region decides, "HEY! Let own TWO regions!" They also know that whomever is the UN Delegate of a Region gets to run the Region if there is no Founder. So, they find a region that has no founder, and all the nations inside Region A decide to move in there. Then, they all nominate their guy to end up being the UN Delegate, and volia, Region B is now Invaded by Region A! The UN Delegate in Region A can kick out all those 'natives' living in Region B and then dig in for the long haul as "Defenders" try to come in and kick the "invaders" from Region A...by doing the exact same method Region B did before.

In any normal game, this sort of regime change by foreigners coming in and endorsing whomever they like would be considered griefing. But this is Nationstates. At first, they had laws that regulates invasions and was enforced by moderator action, but the laws were too vague and cumbersome. So then they had a Influence system that automates this process, but then defenders (people who invade regions that are controlled by invaders so as to give them back to their 'original' owners)  complain that the system is too biased in favor of the Invaders. So, now Nationstates has introduced the World Assembly Security Council, which has the main purpose of regulating this very form of griefing!

Nationstates is crazy, but this is the essence of craziness. Think about it. Nations moving from one region to another just to endorse the UN Delegate they like. It's like the United States moving into the Middle East as part of a massive conspiracy to become UN Delegate and kick Iran out.

Of course I have to come back! Craziness is the only thing that makes Nationstates what it is!
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.