Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress TBS (Redux)  (Read 884 times)

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress TBS (Redux)
« on: June 21, 2009, 04:42:50 pm »

The inspiration for this game was taken from this thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37371.0.

The basic concept is that each player will play a fortress in turns, interacting with other players and the world around them. The player will be able to present their turns however they wish, using drawings, ASCII art, or any other mode of conveying what they have done. This is not a Tacticus thread. This is a turn based strategy game using Dwarf Fortress.

We will be using the Dwarf Fortress Turn Based Strategy Compendium Ruleset 4.3, which has been included below for your convenience.

Rules:
Post your forum name in big yellow letters if you want to play.

Each player will start out with seven dwarves with the skill points typically allotted in a normal Dwarf Fortress game (two professions).

Each turn will represent one week in game time, except in the case of battles or other special interactions. Turns will typically take place over a few days, but may be extended at the request of the players.

During turns the player can do anything that could be done in a normal Dwarf Fortess week. You can mine out an area, build workshops, craft items, and hunt all at the same time, as long as you have the dwarves to do so. The game master (that's me) will decide if a player has overstepped the time constraints of a turn.

Each player will be assigned a color that they will post their turns in. Turns will be contained within
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
so as to make scrolling through turns easier.

Play will be relatively realistic in Dwarf Fortress terms, but PM me if you have any questions.

Players will start with the following (with reasonable changes allowed):

1 Pick
1 Axe
1 Wagon
2 Pack Animals
100 Seeds ( Variety, can be what the player says )
20 Plants ( Player Choice)
40 Meat
40 Booze
1 Anvil
7 Dwarves

Players will describe the area they embark on and its surroundings. Use this: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg606021#msg606021 awesome post as an example for describing your environment.

Armok and Komra:
In this game, Armok is the God of Destruction, and Komra is the God of Creation. Both Gods will take an action each turn that may be directed at one player, a group of players, or all the players. Armok's actions will typically have destructive effects on the target, while Komra's actions will be creative or helpful. Other NPCs may have special abilities that will come into play.

Player List:

Game Master: Vilien

I will add players to the list as they sign up. I will also make a map of the world once players have posted their set-ups.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 04:58:32 pm by Vilien »

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress TBS (Redux)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 04:58:43 pm »

Now with more post.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 02:57:31 am »

hmmmmm I read up on your "inspiration post" and I think its a good idea, but one week? I would say a whole season, one week is how much it takes for me to designate a dining room and a barracks and maybe mine it out (or I guess that's the point)

or this is all like DnD where you don't have a map in front of you and you just say what you are doing? (never played TACTICUS)

give a *little* more info (maybe a PM) and you can count me in (or better yet make an excel spreadsheet, upload it with a PDF of rules and have people fill it in) (oh wait, I HAVE ONE!!! let me get on my mainframe and I can do it, but it isn't dwarf fortress and its empire-like...) (but I might be able to perk it up a bit, give me a few weeks and its yours, assuming that's what your saying) ( I need a response before I will start)

Ok, wow 2am and a teenager makes me ramble, you can ignore that... but is it just like you say waht you do? or do we actually play the game?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:07:31 am by sausage »
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:06:14 am »

As people join we can discuss making turns longer. The rules are pretty simple, you just tell me what you're doing on your turn and if it's not gamey, it'll fly. You're basically running a fortress, but using turns, and playing with other players.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 03:49:40 pm »

ah ok so we are not actually playing the game... gotcha, hopefully it starts up, ive done something like this
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.