Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there support/plans for support of multi-core processors?  (Read 2444 times)

DeathOnJuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm thinking about getting a new computer, probably with a Core i7 processor. Does DF support dual core? Quad core? If not, when?

Thanks.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Is there support/plans for support of multi-core processors?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 06:11:16 pm »

I think the latest experimental version (40d12) might be dual-threaded. Anyone want to confirm/deny that?

In any case, the latest version on the download page (40d) is definitely single-threaded.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Freaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 06:12:57 pm »

This has been discussed to death, do a search; there's some modest threading work going on with the new SDL versions (for 40d13 I think), but aside from that, no, DF doesn't benefit from multiple cores and won't for the foreseeable future.

That's not to say Dwarf Fortress doesn't benefit from the i7; going from a 2.6GHz AMD K8 to a 2.6GHz Intel i7 doubled my framerates, but that's entirely down to it being faster at sequential ops, not because it has more cores.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 06:33:30 pm »

Actually, if you want to nitpick, DF probably will run better on a dual-core processor. Beacuse it gets (i guess) more actual processor time.

# of cores = # of threads that can run simultaneously

I've heard of some people using windows's task manager to force DF onto one core and everything else onto the other. IIRC it does help. I haven't tried it, myself. Seems like too much work for too little reward to me.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Freaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 07:26:13 pm »

Yes, but that's just a generalized effect multicore has on multitasking, rather than anything specific to DF.  I certainly hope nobody would consider a single core CPU these days, DF or not :)

I doubt setting affinity will have a noticeable effect; the scheduler should be smart enough not to bounce CPU bound tasks between cores often enough for it to be an issue.  Maybe in XP?

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 08:03:16 pm »

what u wanna do on a multi-core machine, such as mine, is make EVERYTHING else run on 3 of your cores (Or 1 I guess) and then have DF have its OWN core.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 09:00:42 pm »

what u wanna do on a multi-core machine, such as mine, is make EVERYTHING else run on 3 of your cores (Or 1 I guess) and then have DF have its OWN core.

That's what i was getting at.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

DeathOnJuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 09:15:31 pm »

Well, I guess I'll just wait on faster hardware, then. It seems that even a state-of-the-art quad core will probably have major slowdown problems on DF after not too long.

Thanks, everyone.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 02:27:49 am »

Actually, if you want to nitpick, DF probably will run better on a dual-core processor. Beacuse it gets (i guess) more actual processor time.

I've heard of some people using windows's task manager to force DF onto one core and everything else onto the other. IIRC it does help. I haven't tried it, myself. Seems like too much work for too little reward to me.

Actually, there is a program I've used in the past that makes it as simple as presenting a list of all processes, right clicking on Dwarffort.exe, and selecting Isolate, which puts it on a single core by itself.
!!&!!

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 01:44:18 pm »

Actually, there is a program I've used in the past that makes it as simple as presenting a list of all processes, right clicking on Dwarffort.exe, and selecting Isolate, which puts it on a single core by itself.

How can you move DF on to one core with Task Manager? I can't seem to find out how. Can you put up a link to this program as well?

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 04:54:55 pm »

How can you move DF on to one core with Task Manager? I can't seem to find out how. Can you put up a link to this program as well?

Right click on the process, Set Affinity, uncheck all but one checkbox.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 10:01:45 am »

Actually, I have a quad-core but it still sometimes runs slow (on a map with 200+ creatures fighting 30-50 goblins and a demon [a tower near a chasm lol]).  The funny thing is, when I look at task manager only one core is overloaded, the other three are around 50%.  I want to know how to get it to run with two or three cores devoted to it, and only one devoted to system idle.

(I've only been slow in adventure mode, haven't tested dwarf mode.  I've got another test on whether water can form whirlpools, I'll get more data then.)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 10:27:05 am »

Actually, I have a quad-core but it still sometimes runs slow (on a map with 200+ creatures fighting 30-50 goblins and a demon [a tower near a chasm lol]).  The funny thing is, when I look at task manager only one core is overloaded, the other three are around 50%.  I want to know how to get it to run with two or three cores devoted to it, and only one devoted to system idle.

(I've only been slow in adventure mode, haven't tested dwarf mode.  I've got another test on whether water can form whirlpools, I'll get more data then.)

Can't. 40dxx does use another thread for the graphics stuff, afaik, but otherwise, DF is single thread only so far.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 10:29:42 am »

It doesen't actively use multiple processor cores, but they come in handy if you play like I tend to, with DF running in addition to a bunch of other resource-hogging programs. It runs fine without a hint of slowdown.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 12:49:44 pm »

I want to know how to get it to run with two or three cores devoted to it, and only one devoted to system idle.

You can't.  Except for a few OGL threads (minor computationally expensive), DF is a single threaded program.
Pages: [1] 2