Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ASCII rpg i'm making  (Read 2269 times)

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ASCII rpg i'm making
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:50:08 pm »

yes I did some idea stealing from toady about the whole ascii thing but I consider quite interesting so I have started to build a simple RPG around that idea.

I need some feedback on whether it might make a good game

currently all I have is a very simple 30x30 scrolling map and very basic combat system with a simple character sheet

All I really need to know is if you think, with a good plotline, an open environment and some better systems (battles and such) if it would be any fun (this won't be 3d like DF tho :-()

I haven't given it a name and its my third attempt at programing in OOP with C++ (can do it in java, c++ gives me wierd as fuck errors) so I just named it "newrpg"

and please don't post it looks bad, or there are bugs with it because I know it does im just posting it for opinions.

Download
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII rpg i'm making
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:52:29 pm »

Its called a roguelike by the way(also its not toadys idea). Ill give my opinions in a second.

EDIT: Theres not much to say... its better then anything I could do, but still...

Yeah... I guess its ok. Ignoring bugs and such. Alright, acctualy the battle system could use some work. I have no idea whats going on.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:58:15 pm by cowofdoom78963 »

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:00:07 pm »

k, im sort of working on it, kind of a side project when I have nothing else to do, it gives me an excuse to stay in my room til 6PM and avoid my parents drone for no reason about politics then have them scream at one another and drown the noise of me talking with friends on skype

but... as long as someone thinks that it has potential ill keep going :-)
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:00:52 pm »

Go man go!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:04:22 pm »

Go for the gold!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:08:19 pm »

Looks like a good start. Sure, there's a lot left to do, but stick with it!
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 11:25:04 pm »

Looks like a good start. Sure, there's a lot left to do, but stick with it!

Except for above all I can advise is get some ideas of what you want to do and then program it. With the state it is at the moment the world (or rougelike) is your oyster!
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 12:36:19 am »

Plan. The more detailed your plan, the better. But don't be afraid to change your plan either. It is your plan after all.  ;D

I made a text-based RPG/Adventure game about a year ago (actually started it a year or 2 before that), had 2 or 3 pages of hand-written notes... never actually implemented several of the ideas, and most of the ones that did make it in were changed in some way.

I should get back to that project someday... I wonder where those notes got to... ?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 12:58:29 am »

hey, does anyone know how the monster in adventure mode exist? (programming wise not game wise) I am trying to make it so I can make as many monsters on the field as I want and there is the attack event when I hit the monster (same with the npc's I can make the monsters based on the symbol but the human NPC's if I keep them all the same they will have the exact same dialogue)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 08:13:35 am »

You would need to have the map stored as an array of tiles, where a tile is a struct or class that contains more than just it's character. One of the things it would contain is a refrence to the enemy, maybe an index to an enemy array, maybe a direct pointer to the enemy. If you use a pointer, you should still keep a list of some sort(array, linked list,...) to easily loop over them for their turns. The tiles should not contain actual enemies, because then moving an enemy becomes too hard.

Edit: this is coming from my mostly C background, with a semi-successful attempt at starting to write my own roguelike. I had enemies randomly wandering and stuff.
Eh?
Eh!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 08:02:47 am »

Plan. The more detailed your plan, the better. But don't be afraid to change your plan either. It is your plan after all.  ;D
Yes... but don't plan features but mechanics of the programming you want to implement.  Don't add thousands of races but go for the relevant things about the engine...

Piece of advice.  Keep logs with DOs and progress and use an SVN repository to keep track of changes (Googlecode is really simple but sourceforge is great and it has more features, I think)

Last year I started a mini roguelike that I intend to pick up soon (now that I'm finishing the term) but I must tidy it up if I ever intend to show it to someone.

Anyway.  I want to try and do a group project sometime... to see how it goes...

EDIT:  PDCurses rules for roguelikes.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.