Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarven history  (Read 4175 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
dwarven history
« on: August 05, 2009, 09:24:14 am »

What was dwarven society like before they were able to distill alcohol ?

discuss

my theory:

when Armok first discovered distilling, the spirit of alcohol became a god of it's own, and created the dwarves after his image
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:50:50 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: very important topic
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:27:12 am »

There has always been and always will be alcohol and the technology to brew it. Dwarves were the first civilization in any world in any universe and will be the last. Any statement otherwise is obviously elven propaganda.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: very important topic
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:41:31 am »

Can you change your topic header to something informative?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: dwarven history
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 11:51:44 am »

There has always been booze. It was just stuck in rotten berries at the beginning.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 11:22:20 pm »

Primordial seas were 120 proof.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 11:56:54 pm »

Dorfs were a vast utopian society with technology far more advanced than any that existed before them.

Then booz' was discovered...

...at the same time as magma.

You can imagine what happened next.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 01:59:59 am »

The god of booze (who was actually a goddess) gave birth to the dwarves out of a beer-filled womb.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 02:03:55 am »

Dwarves have always consumed Methanol (a form of alcohol only found in the strongest spirits). Can anyone think of a natural source of Methanol?

Also: Heh, spirit of alcohol...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 03:14:06 am »

Dwarves have always consumed Methanol (a form of alcohol only found in the strongest spirits). Can anyone think of a natural source of Methanol?

A spirit of fire and a spirit of alcohol walked into a fort.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 04:00:53 am »

Methanol is found in small quantities in any fermented drink. If it's distilled improperly you end up with dangerous concentrations of it, or if it ferments at the wrong temperature. Methanol being one of the active ingredients in anti-freeze, and a rather dangerous poison. Unlike ethanol, the safe and delicious alcohol. Historically, I believe methanol was created by superheating wood under high pressures or something. That said, making ethanol is as simple as throwing moldy bread into sugar water and letting it sit for a few weeks (how you make alcohol without access to yeast). Depending on the source of the sugar, one might not even need a source for the yeast, if it's present already. I believe the skin of grapes acquires a natural coating of yeast, and thus crushed grapes will become wine without any more being added. Or so I half remember from reading about fermenting back in highschool.

Making good alcohol is much harder, and requires distilling to get rid of the godawful rot taste.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.