Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragons for Defense?  (Read 919 times)

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragons for Defense?
« on: July 13, 2009, 01:09:45 am »

I caught a nice dragon, and my dungeon master got him to sit and stay, so now I'm sitting on a humungous, ancient beast from beyond the veil of mortal imagination.  Unfortunately, from past experience dragons last about eight seconds in a fight before some jerk goblin shoots it in the eye and its brain explodes, or whatever.

So chaining it at the front door is out.  I could pit it and feed it gobbos one by one, but that's more entertainment than utility.

Is there a reliable way to turn a dragon into a worthwhile member of my combat team?  In a perfect world, I'd cover it with steel plating and put a legendary crossbowman on his back, but I'm thinking I could chain it either behind some fortifications, a z-level above the courtyard or both.  Can dragonfire go down a level and torch interlopers?
I brake for stumble bumblings

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Dragons for Defense?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 01:46:49 am »

Well fire imps can't shoot across z-levels so I assume dragons can't either.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 01:51:58 am »

Chain the dragon in a wide hallway with a blind turn. Gobbos turn, get dragonfire'd (possibly arrow'd, too, if your military is there to help. Watch out for friendly fire)
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:27:06 am »

Might want to have fire prevention measures in place too... goblins that catch on fire don't necessarily die right away?

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 03:50:33 am »

Mod dragons to have a higher damblock and HEATDAM_POINT. They need it anyway.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.