Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Talltower the Tall Tower of Towers: DISCUSSING NEW TOWER IDEAS  (Read 36883 times)

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey all, I had an idea for a new succession game.  The rules are as such:

Every year, a player chooses a floor in the fortress.  During their year, any construction, with the exception of stairs, must occur on their floor and their floor alone.  You may use preexisting facilities on other floors (e.g. mason shops, craftsdwarf shops, etc), but any new workshops, floors, or walls must be constructed on your floor.  However, floor 0 is open game and free for all to screw with as they please.

Any takers?

Presently, we are in the process of transitioning to a new location.  You can still sign up, but you will be playing a different fortress when your turn comes.

------------------The List-------------------

Turn|   Name        |    Floor
 #1 | crash2455     |    0
 #2 | ArkDelgato    |    1
 #3 | xaque         |    2
 #4 | DemonicSpoon  |   -1
 #5 | quote         |   (skipped)
 #6 | japa          |   -2
 #7 | Calvin        |   (skipped)
 #8 | LegoLord      |   -3
 #9 | Christes      |   -4
 #10| Samus1111111  |    3
 #11| nil           |    4
 #12| Criptfeind    |   -5
 #13| Slayer 1557   |   (skipped)
 #14| DemonicSpoon  |   -1
 #15| Adalore       |   (skipped)
 #16| Axil          |   (skipped)
 #17| ArkDelgato    |   (skipped)
 #18| Christes      |   (skipped)
 #19| Criptfeind    |   (current)
 #20| Samus1111111  |   
 #21| DemonicSpoon  |
 #22| Arkaine       |
 #23| Outcast Orange|
 #24| rosedrake     |
 #25| sheb          |
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:29:07 pm by crash2455 »
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Fortress Succession Game
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 07:06:01 pm »

sounds like it could end up very disorganized

might join, depends on schedule, don't sign me up until I post again with a definate

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 07:07:41 pm »

I would, but I have things to do coming up.  Good luck with this, though.  Sounds like fun.

So is each floor one z-level of the area, or one z-level of a pre-determined area within it?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:09:35 pm »

would that mean that player #1 would have to set up the basics of survival? farm/booze/some beds?

also, define 'floor 0', is this tower only allowed to be above ground?

lastly, is there a limit as to how big this tower can be? do all floors have to be the same size, cause i think of housing, and having a dozen z levels for all the beds is impractical. if one or two levels could be much larger, then just about all the beds could be placed on one level

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:36:22 pm »

would that mean that player #1 would have to set up the basics of survival? farm/booze/some beds?

also, define 'floor 0', is this tower only allowed to be above ground?

lastly, is there a limit as to how big this tower can be? do all floors have to be the same size, cause i think of housing, and having a dozen z levels for all the beds is impractical. if one or two levels could be much larger, then just about all the beds could be placed on one level
Floor 0, as in the z-level labeled as 0.  Player 1 wouldn't be required to establish all survival basics (though that usually happens anyway), as the farms and barracks can be placed on level 0.

The tower can be as wide as the map will allow (which is something like 4 embark tiles wide and tall), meaning that it's unlikely you'll build up or dig out your entire z-level on your turn.  We can keep the population low (which will aid in fps and in extra beds).

You are not limited to positive z-levels either.  I mean, building would be impossible without digging.

Also, yes this is probably going to be disorganized, but there was never a good succession game that wasn't.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 08:00:13 pm »

Ah, heck.  Put me close enough to the bottom of the list that you think it might be my turn by the time we're past the 19th of July (after others have joined of course).  If my turn hits before then, just bump my turn up or skip me entirely, whichever is convenient.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 09:58:07 pm »

That is, of course, assuming there is a list.  It appears people aren't quite so eager to sign on.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 10:22:48 pm »

This sounds like terrific fun.

SIGN ME UP GUV'

xaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 11:15:37 pm »

I'll take a turn. Do we have a map location already? Also, how long do we have to complete each turn?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 11:38:39 pm »

I'd like a turn as well please.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 11:45:43 pm »

I'll be in.

But I'll say this now.
I have to go away for two weeks this sunday.

• Bay Watcher
  • Dammit John.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 12:13:23 am »

I'm in.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 12:17:06 am »

People should like "Reserve" their levels.

For me, I'd like to have a underground level.
Provides more protection.
I CALL -1!

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 12:41:43 am »

I think levels should be taken when you actually get the fort, but you get the choice of descending or ascending (just keep in mind that we probably won't have too many building materials at first, so save ascending for maybe the third or fourth round.

I already have an embark location picked out, I just need to get started (which I'll do tomorrow).

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 03:04:43 am »

so, what will happen with invaders?

im in too
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27