Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where are you living ?

USA
- 148 (42.7%)
Other northern american country (Canada, Mexico..)
- 36 (10.4%)
Western Europe (France, UK, Swiss, The netherlands...)
- 48 (13.8%)
Southern Europe (Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Mediterranean islands, Balkans, Bulgaria...)
- 6 (1.7%)
Eastern Europe (Ukrain, Belarus, Russia included)
- 11 (3.2%)
Northern Europe (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Finaland, Baltic countries)
- 35 (10.1%)
South or Central America
- 5 (1.4%)
Africa
- 3 (0.9%)
Middle east
- 2 (0.6%)
Asia
- 8 (2.3%)
Oceania
- 22 (6.3%)
Else (Poles, ISS, center of the earth...)
- 5 (1.4%)
Central Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia)
- 18 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 347

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Where are DF players living ?  (Read 8547 times)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
Re: Where are DF players living ?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 12:30:22 pm »

You know, I'm in Canada, and the Canadian shield would make for a GREAT fortress.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 01:01:32 pm »

US, in Iowa.  I moved to this state for the vowel-to-consonant ratio.

hahaha

I'm in the US.  Don't we get more than one option, too?  :P  Culturally speaking, there are serious differences.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 01:28:03 pm »

I'm in the US.  Don't we get more than one option, too?  :p  Culturally speaking, there are serious differences.

Huh... I was expecting something like that (with californian people :p), but my knowledge about America isn't large enough to cut it into regions :) At least, I separated you from Canadian and Mexicans.

Pure_W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 01:38:50 pm »

UK ftw!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 01:44:44 pm »

I'm in the US.  Don't we get more than one option, too?  :p  Culturally speaking, there are serious differences.

Huh... I was expecting something like that (with californian people :p), but my knowledge about America isn't large enough to cut it into regions :) At least, I separated you from Canadian and Mexicans.

Heh, you could probably include Canada since there isn't an enormous divide culturally. (At least no more than inside the US)  Though I'll probably end up on some Canadian hit-list for saying that :)

Purely for purposes of personal interest, here is a map of cultural regions inside North America (The regions are too small for a poll like this, I think):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't vouch for anything other than the northwest coast, which is pretty much right on.

This map also seems to favor the west coast as far as divisions go.  The East could probably be subdivided more as well.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:46:48 pm by Christes »

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 02:21:54 pm »

Ah yes, interresting.

I have to admit that, from Europe, USA look like a large and rather uniform country, that may be divided into a "west coast" with sunny beaches and surfers and canyons and palmtrees, and a "east coast" with wooden houses and grey industrial cities and paddle steamer on large rivers and snowy conifers forests. The usual stereotype also include central plains with stupid patriotic farmers, indians in camps and neverending freeways.

Yeah, I know, that's terrible.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 02:26:19 pm »

Just some notes:
Baltic countries = Eastern Europe
Bulgary = Bulgaria
Hungary = Central Europe

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 02:29:54 pm »

so where i am now? i am exactly between the countries you put up as south, eastern and western europe ^^ and as tormy said: central europe is somewhat missing :>
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 02:49:45 pm »

South-East USA, here.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 03:03:46 pm »

Ok, to solve all this North / Central / East mess, I just checked Wikipedia, and there's a map here which divide Europe into the following parts :

Northern Countries : Extended scandinavia (Norway, Sweden and Denmark + Iceland + Finland + Feroes islands) AND Baltic countries.

Eastern Countries : Belarus, Ukraine, Romania... Russia is also included.

Southern (or Meridional) Countries : Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, but also Cyprus, Malta, Macedonia and Balkans countries, but also Bulgaria (yep, I mispelled it) and Moldavia.

Western (or Occidental) Countries : France, Swiss, United Kingdom, Ireland, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.

Central Countries : Germany, Poland, Hungary, Austria, etc.

So please stick to this map. I don't totally agree with it (the Eastern Europe is very small right now), but if we don't want to screw the poll any longer, we have to find a definition of what are the European regions.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 03:27:34 pm »

I have to admit that, from Europe, USA look like a large and rather uniform country, that may be divided into a "west coast" with sunny beaches and surfers and canyons and palmtrees, and a "east coast" with wooden houses and grey industrial cities and paddle steamer on large rivers and snowy conifers forests. The usual stereotype also include central plains with stupid patriotic farmers, indians in camps and neverending freeways.

Yeah, I know, that's terrible.

No more terrible than the ignorance of European divisions I see here.  Also, many people in Eastern USA look at the west as uniform in the same way  ::)

If you want to subdivide the USA, you might try a four section subdivision like west, south, midwest, and northeast.  Of course, good luck getting non-controversial borders.  One rendition is below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 04:03:35 pm »

Joining The Finland Crew. We might have lost the top place in most suicides and largest alcohol consumption statistics but at least we can be the DF country.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2009, 04:04:43 pm »

Western Canada.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Jakkarra

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2009, 04:11:22 pm »

Greetings from Glorious town O' PUDSEY!

welcome Comrades!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2009, 04:15:11 pm »

USA.  Oregon.  A little west of Portland specifically.

We are a HUGELY multicultural bunch here!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11