Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most terrifying damage ever sustained by a dwarf?  (Read 4585 times)

Battlefrank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most terrifying damage ever sustained by a dwarf?
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:23:02 pm »

Post the WORST damage any of your dwarves ever sustained before death.

My entry:
UPPER BODY MANGLED
LOWER BODY UNHARMED
HEAD MANGLED
RIGHT UPPER ARM UNHARMED
LEFT UPPER ARM MANGLED
RIGHT LOWER ARM MANGLED
LEFT LOWER ARM MANGLED
RIGHT HAND MANGLED
LEFT HAND UNHARMED
RIGHT UPPER LEG MANGLED
LEFT UPPER LEG UNHARMED
RIGHT LOWER LEG MODERATELY WOUNDED
LEFT LOWER LEG MANGLED
RIGHT FOOT UNHARMED
LEFT FOOT UNHARMED
RIGHT EYE BROKEN
LEFT EYE MANGLED
NOSE MODERATELY WOUNDED
RIGHT LUNG MANGLED
LIVER MODERATELY WOUNDED
LEFT SHOULDER MODERATELY WOUNDED
RIGHT ELBOW MODERATELY WOUNDED
LEFT ELBOW MANGLED
RIGHT WRIST BROKEN
RIGHT HIP BROKEN
LEFT KNEE LIGHTLY WOUNDED
THROAT LIGHTLY WOUNDED
UPPER SPINE MODERATELY WOUNDED
SECOND FINGER MANGLED
FOURTH FINGER MANGLED
in the next frame, the subject was thrown into the air, when subject landed, she was dead.

bonus points to anyone who draws a picture of what this would look like.
also, hurting your dwarf with Dwarf Companion and saying "EVERYTHING MANGLED" doesn't count.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:25:21 pm by Battlefrank »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Most terrifying damage ever sustained by a dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:15:57 am »

Meh, i had worse in my first weeks of DF. I once had a caravan guard come to my fort without 1 full arm and his left lower leg + broken lower body and mangled right leg.

He just spawned at the edge of the map with the others, he was considerably tough, so he managed to stay away just enough to crawl some tiles around till teh caravan left.
I checked legends, but it was a large world, hadn't figured the search yet, so i gave up. Should've taken screenies.

I'm just surprized at how he didn't bleed to death.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 12:32:51 am »

"Blind Betty".

In one of my early forts, near a chasm, I had a stonecarver whose name I will amend to Betty for the time being.

While going through the micromanagement of making channels to drain a series of pools into an underground reservoir, I noticed - a little too late - that one of my dwarves had been beset upon by surfaced Ratmen and Troglodytes.

The guards and Captain took too long to get to her, and by the time she was rescued she had multiple broken limbs and bruised organs. Most terrifyingly, her eyes had been torn out.

While she lay recuperating I did some wiki research and found that, despite her blindness, she might still be able to operate in a workshop should she ever recover. But as I wathched, I found that her pain was unceasing, and that she had developed a grudge against the Captain of the guard.

I can still imagine it; sitting upright in her bed, scowling, the bandage meant to cover her bloody sockets discarded. The Captain enters and she turns to stare, never blinking, never flinching, ever vengeful.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:49:14 am by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Lonewolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Feral Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 02:11:25 am »

The worst death ever happens when a dwarf finds himself in a tile with the lowest possible temperature (0, compared to the usual 10015) due to a bug in the Dwarf Tweak utility. All body parts get really damaged. The death is not instantaneous, which makes it even more cruel.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 03:53:42 am »

It wasn't a terribly great wound, just a missing eye.  Of course, only in Dwarf Fortress is violently losing an eye "just" a wound.  No, I'll always remember it as the worst survived injury because of the way it happened.

I was trying the "primitive" challenge, where I embark with no equipment or skills, just seven peasants, two animals, and a wagon.  Eventually one dwarf went to the fish-infested river to drink.  After being outside all this time eating raw deer meat and drinking pond water, he was already near miserable.

Then he was attacked by a lamprey, which took his eye.  Imagine this flying out of the water, latching onto your face, and sucking your eye out of it's socket.  He was dragged into the water, but amazingly fought on through the pain, and managed to wrestle it death and climb out of the river alive.

Except he climbed out on the opposite shore.  And I couldn't build a bridge to get him back.  So there he sat, in the rain, foraging for himself, for another two years, glowering at me through the screen with his remaining eye.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 06:35:06 am »

I can still imagine it; sitting upright in her bed, scowling the bandage meant to cover her bloody sockets discarded. The Captain enters and she turns to stare, never blinking, never flinching, ever vengeful.

That image is pure awesome.

Unfortunately I don't recall any horrifically gruesome stories of my own. Most of the injuries my dwarves experience are either minor sparring accidents (lost eyes, severed limbs etc.) or instantly fatal (goblin crossbow bolt through the heart, lungs, throat). Personally I'm a fan of a torn out throat, since it leaves such a pretty trail of red matter as they crawl a few feet away to die.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 11:42:19 am »

I recently had one of these, so I thought I would share. It is the tale of the unfortunate fisherman.

He arrived in a pack of migrants, on my second year, and as he was a fisherman, he set off to go fishing. I didn't quite realize the fishing area had carp and pike. All of a sudden, a carp jumped out of the water, and severely damaged his arms and legs. He went off to rest, and was fed and given water like any good dwarf should.

He finally recovered, and set out to fish again, whence a carp flew out, and bit both of his eyeballs out.

He barely survived, and was once again dragged to his bed to heal. Then a goblin ambush came and killed most everybody in the fortress. While still in bed, the goblins had used their axes to sever all of the fishermans limbs, from the shoulders, and the thighs. Every one died, except for the fisherman, and a legendary miner. After a while, the corpses of his friends and pets started to rot, and the only other person left alive, the miner, went insane.

Thus the fisherman, was left on his bed, with no eyeballs, no limbs, no friends or family, no one feed him or give him water, had to smell his dead friends and family's rotting taint, and had to hear the maddening screams of the insane miner, for the rest of his life, until he starved to death, or died of thirst.

I actually quit that fortress before he died, because it was just way too sad for me to handle. He had to have been the most unlucky dwarf I've ever seen.

- Kayla
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 11:49:16 am by Kayla »

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:57:09 am »

Amazing that he survived for so long.... the lost of all limbs should have caused a major bleeding.

Balor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 01:01:29 pm »

Thus the fisherman, was left on his bed, with no eyeballs, no limbs, no friends or family, no one feed him or give him water, had to smell his dead friends and family's rotting taint, and had to hear the maddening screams of the insane miner, for the rest of his life, until he starved to death, or died of thirst.

Wow, that is pretty brutal.
Talking of stories that Dwarf Fortress is capable of telling... well, this one not quite unlike those written by King or Lovecraft.
Sapienti Sat.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 02:09:08 pm »

Amazing that he survived for so long.... the lost of all limbs should have caused a major bleeding.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why he didn't die of blood loss. He was extremely tough. Mind you, most of that I saw after the happenings. I periodically checked his injury list and saw that.

- Kayla

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 02:49:43 pm »

Talking of stories that Dwarf Fortress is capable of telling... well, this one not quite unlike those written by King or Lovecraft.

Or Kafka.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Battlefrank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 12:02:07 am »

We need artists to draw these. or a movie.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 12:31:05 am »

There's mine.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 12:55:11 am »

There's mine.

Oh god, why did I laugh. I'm a terrible human being.

I've got another one. This was to a Kobold, so a little less sympathy here.

A fleeing thief was running north when one of my marksdwarves - atop a tower - took aim at him and fired a single shot, striking him dead instantly from a previously uninjured state. Inspecting his wounds, I came to the forensic conclusion that this is what happened.

He turned to see the bolt just in time for it to go through both of his eyes - horizontally, mind you - before it caught on some part of the skull, perhaps by going only through the back of the farthest eye. With this, the skull was cracked, and the resulting rotary momentum caused the kobold's neck to snap so hard and fast that it tore the poor creature's throat out, like a sock torn in half.

All this with a single well-placed bolt.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 01:27:19 am »

How do i long for the magic arc so our dabbling wizards can try that nifty portal spell and end up summoning some kind of eldritch horror.
Kogan cancels cast spell, interupted by cthulhu.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: [1] 2