Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Creepy music.  (Read 3557 times)

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
Re: Creepy music.
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 10:24:40 pm »

Back on the rails, then?

Most of the songs by the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society tend to be funny parodies of well-known songs. This one manages to be rather creepy.
Then there's this lovely piece by Marilyn Manson called Thaeter.
Finally, the Fallout 1 Soundtrack was composed with the abject despair of a desolate future in mind.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 11:15:59 pm »

Mein Teil by Rammstein is really creepy, especially considering the context of the song.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 11:49:15 pm »

Most stuff by Acid Bath deserves a mention, mostly for the lyrics. It's not that they're gory, it's that they're downright unsettling in some cases. I'd recommend The Scream of the Butterfly or Fingerpaintings of the Insane.

My Wall by Sunn 0))) is an excellent atmospheric piece with some interesting spoken word work in it. There's virtually no chance of me finding a link to listen to it as the piece is a half hour long, but it's worth listening to. I can't speak for the rest of their work, but that song is strangely mesmerizing.

Once again, disturbing lyrics: Comus. A strange folkish 70s band with songs about rape and murder. I'd recommend the song Drip Drip or The Bite.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Easting Hastings and The Dead Flag Blues both have some rather unsettling sections to them, and The Dead Flag Blues has an interesting poem in it with the subject of the apocalypse.

Whoever mentioned Pink Floyd's A Saucerful of Secrets was spot on. The beginning of that song puts me on edge. Same with the middle section of Echoes, but that song is mostly excellent, and not creepy save that annoying interlude.

Finally, the most disturbing song I can think of: World's End Girlfriend's We Are The Massacre. I recommend not watching the video, and just relaxing with the music...until it begins. The screams fade in gradually from the background, while the music remains discordantly happy. Edit: Upon review, their entire discography has a creepy vibe to it.

And for the record, no, none of these are "screamers" or anything. I believe one of the Godspeed You! Black Emperor songs has a loud train whistle out of nowhere, but that's it. Enjoy, and have fun staying awake.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:24:07 am by jokermatt999 »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 12:11:07 am »

Hammers of Misfortune - The Trial and the Grave  Not creepy per se, but has a very melancholy and gloomy feel, and as an added bonus won't put you to sleep like some of the stuff in this thread.
Shoes...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 12:45:02 am »

These guys make some fairly creepy medieval dark ambient sort of stuff.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything else on youtube of theirs that I actually have myself.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 02:38:39 am »

you might like it but i HATE RAP, where i live you get 12 year olds walking around with thier pants pockets behind thier kness blasting rap 24/7. honestly, why the hell is it "gangsta" to show off your tidey whities?
MSI is anything but gangsta.

But on-topic: Creepy music is usually only creepy because of the context. Anything sufficiently moving can be creepy.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 01:10:05 pm »

They may not be "gangsta" but they're still about as pleasing to the ears as an angle grinder being applied to a chalkboard.  How can people listen to that?
Shoes...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 01:49:47 pm »

Yeah...  ;D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 02:04:27 pm »

Asilos Magdalena

This song is quite creepy especially if you know the lyrics. Also, skip to about 1:17 into the video as that's when it actually starts.

EDIT: The end is a bit disturbing especially for people who can't stand the sight of blood.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 02:14:18 pm by Lear »
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 03:50:35 pm »

You can't tell me that the beginning of this isn't atleast SOMEWHAT creepy.

I mean, it's got freaking cries of pain in the background.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2009, 11:00:56 am »

When I was playing my polar-station-surrounded-by-the-undead I put in the background the sountrack of The White Chamber, which is creepy as hell. Now I feel tempted to reclaim that fortress again.

http://www.studiotrophis.com/site/projects/thewhitechamber
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 2 [3]