Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 65

Author Topic: SparkGear 3 - With A Vengeance [Now with Dig Deeper] [OVER]  (Read 115430 times)

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile

Ok you sons of goblins, it is time to start preparing for next months SparkGear.
It looks like it's turning into a twisted little mockery of a tradition already.

Disclaimer
This fortress has now reached legendary status.
It's also the creepiest fortress I've seen,
with longer and bloodier history than any other.
Currently we have approximately one hundred and eighty
dead dwarves to around fifty living.
The fortress is full of grand, beautifully engraved halls,
barely used, now filling with cobwebs and dust.
Corridors form a twisty and confusing maze,
and there are levers everywhere. Marked? Hell no.
There's barely a place left where there hasn't been a murder,
suicide, starving to death or cut to pieces by orcs
(and don't even get me started on the zombie wyverns).
Our noble housing is located inside an engraved obsidian tower,
that was created when our defenses malfunctioned
(it was still a beta, after all)
and magma flowed down the corridors into a pool,
previously full of zombies.
Now the pool is a park, and the noble housing stands empty,
since we don't have any fucking nobles.
Surrounded on all sides by fields of blood,
abandoned equipment scattered about,
the fortress looms over a lake of magma,
like a shapeless monster, waiting.
And yet, the migrants come.

So, I ask you, are you ready for

SparkGear 3

[size=8]-With A Vengeance-[/size]

(not for children, elves or the faint of heart)

For the uninitiated, SparkGear (or SG, or that fucking disaster as it's lovingly called) is a type of succession game where each turn is measured in real time, not game time. Since we're all extremely dorfy and well-endowed we play for one 24h period. The turn is switched at 22 GMT (definitely not chosen for my convenience. It just coincidentally hits midnight in my timezone). Being late means the next player can either choose to wait or just discard you turn and play from the previous save. Experience has shown that groveling works.

In previous incarnations there haven't been really any rules to speak of. This time around, I propose an addendum: In the interest of keeping the FPS low, DO NOT LEAVE STONE LYING AROUND. You dig it, you dispose of it. Violation of this rule may induce verbal abuse and visceral mockery by other players. This is more of a guideline than a strict rule, some stone is bound to be left around, but PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ARMOK don't bury us in stone. Try to use all the stone you dig out. Like what I did with that fuckhuge statue.

Player signups (dates in July, naturally. The exception being me, I'm going to prep the site in June):
Turn   Player                           Achievements
initial: Nahkh                           HUEG statue,awesome mural, death by construction accident.
    1.    Barbarossa the tl;dr       Charged an orc siege and got everyone killed. [FAIL]
    2.    ArkDelgato the Defiler     Fixed the tantrum spiral [AWESOME]
    3.    Demonic Spoon the Impaler   Gave up [FAIL], passed the turn to ArkDelgato for awesome
    4.    abculatter_2                   Zombie wyverns and zombie giant eagles. [HILARIOUS]
                                               handed the rest of his turn to nil for awesome
    5.    Skid                               Killed off our military to goblins, including Ark.
                                               Stopped a tantrum spiral, had starvation [MIXED]
    6.    cerapa                           Fixed food issue, some food-related deaths [SO-SO]
    7.    nil                                 Further stabilization, a couple of deaths by orcs [GROOVY]
    8.    crashNAHKH                    Kicked ass like the unholy love-child of Chuck Norris and River Tam.
                                               Got magma, made forges, replenished food and booze.[MANLY]
    9.    Aldaris                           RETOOK THE OVERFORTRESS! [GREAT JUSTICE]
                                              (actually, he kinda sucked at keeping dwarves fed and drunk)
    10.  Kamrusepas No reply.    abculatter_2 played a bit but gave up. FORTRESS REORG COMING UP                   
    11.  Nahkh                            FIXING THE FORTRESS. Imma patchin holes here.
                                             Permanently fixed the booze issue, beefed up the defenses,     
                                             DEFEATED AN ORC SIEGE. [PARAGON]
    12.  Wimdit                          Began construction of an orbital magma cannon,
                                             KILLED BUTTERCUP's BABY. Dakost the Mighty is dead too. [NYOR~ON]
    13.  Barbarossa                     Located Adamantine, got nobody killed, excavated huge areas.
                                             Gave half a turn to Iluogo. [IMPROVED FROM LAST TIME]
    13.5 Iluogo                          Constructed OCDS, GOT EVERYONE KILLED, AGAIN. [FAIL]
    14.  Samus127                     Ryan the God-King of dwarfkind was killed. That seems to be a
                                             recurring theme here. Also began construction of FUCKAWESOME
                                             magma defense system (different from the orbital thingy). [DASTARDLY]
    15.  Demonic Spoon              The king arrived, and fucked everyone up.
                                             Then went mad and died.[AWESOME]
    16.  Crash                           Put finishing touches on the magma defense, now just needs testing. [NICE]
    17.  Demonic Spoon [fastest turn request in the west] Readjusted the magma defense system,
                                            and then he fired it. There is magma inside the fortress. Why is there
                                            magma inside the fortress? [WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN]
    18.  Tarquinius                    Improved efficiency, made things neater, expanded the fortress
                                            [MODEL CITIZEN]
    19.  iluogo                          Some decorating, including a magmafall. [NOT BAD I GUESS]
                                            [HOLY CRAP THAT MAGMAFALL IS AWESOME]
    20.  Skid                            Wound up reverting to the old save after food related incdients [FFF]
    21.  Akreaveter                   No-show [FAIL]
    22.  nil                               Converted the pool into a park, refined our magma defenses, mined
                                            some adamantine, got migrants to the creepiest place on earth,
                                            took some 3Dwarf pictures (on page 33)[JUST AS KEIKAKU]
    23.  crash2455skaltum          Built some more creepy hallways and mausoleums, as well as
                                            recording a suicide. Jumping into magma seems the most the most
                                            popular method. Also made some graffiti art.  [MEH]
    24.  iluogo                          Built an arena, held the fort together. Gave rest of turn to DS
    24.5 Demonic Spoon             Didn't kill too many dwarves, exterminated some zombies.
                                            General repairs in the overfortress.[DECENT]
    25.  Tarquinius                     Got migrants, and expanded the living quarters to accommodate.
                                             Started a largeish silk industry. [POP GROWTH FUCK YEAH]
    26.  Demonic Spoon              Dealt with more orcs and zombie wyvern. Upgraded the cannon to
                                             v1.2 [IL MAGNIFICO]
    27.  Kamrusepas                   Rocks fall, everyone dies. [FAIL] Reverted to old save, after which
                                             I, Nahkh, kicked it around some. FPS is really bad. [MEH]
    28.  Barbarossa DS                 Magmacannon upgraded to 1.3 [SAMEOLD]
    29.  ToonyMan
    30.  Samus
    31.  Filiusenox
So. The site. It's totally awesome.
We've got magma, a bit of a river, an underground pool and HFS. Plus it's a terrifying mountain, and we're using the Dig Deeper mod. It should keep things nice and hard as aids challenging.
(Later edit: OH GODS WHAT HAVE I DONE?)

Everyone is welcome here. Even ifEspecially if you have no idea what you're doing. Remember to say which day you want in your "Me too!"-post. If none is provided I'll just sign you up for the first available date.
To play, you will need a copy of DF 40d (d11 or d12 should work too) with DD installed.
Here's a prepackaged folder for you, courtesy of crash2455 (blessed be his name).

Some general notes about the game: I hate micromanagement. Don't expect me to be there to hold your hand if you run into problems. I just keep the player list up to date. If it's your turn, you're the boss. If the previous guy is late, you decide the fate of his save. Et cetera. I'll just be providing very friendly commentary and taking the occasional 3d picture of the current fort.

So, here's a link to the archived maps of the place. Reading the thread through and examining the maps and their POIs in detail is essential to understanding the fortress  layout. It's the most confusing mess I've ever seen. The corridors and other connections get redesigned all the time, so understand the historical reasons why something is like it is is pretty important. If you're strapped for time, checking the map from early summer 217 is a good way to get ahead, it's pretty recent and has most of the necessary information in POIs.

If you've missed out on the previous SparkGears, the threads are still there for you amazement.

SparkGear, the one that started it all, may be found here.
It included a gigantic skull over the entrance (unforgivably defaced later), kitchens made of pitchblende (that's uranium, folks) and royal bedrooms one square away from the pits.
The fort ended due to FPS problems and lack of challenge (after we killed the HFS).

SparkGear 2, the successor, the golden boy, the miserable hole.
It included crazy megaprojects, tantrum spirals, massive executions and a phallic tower complete with testicles. We even had an automated spike trap. It ended in fire and mass executions.
If you really must, you can see it here.

Other notes: LEARN THE MOTHERFUCKING GMT SYSTEM YOU FUCKING AMERICANS. I HATE YOUR STUPID TIMEZONE IDIOCY. If you don't know your timezone in GMT, you have no excuse.

SparkGear
Spawning more sigs than you can shake a stick at.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 05:02:50 pm by nahkh »
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
Re: SparGear 3 - With A Vengeance [Now with Dig Deeper] [Sign up now]
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 05:46:06 am »

Sign me up for the 9th, please.

As for the site:
River: Yeah
Magma: We must have it.
HFS: N/A
Underground water: Must have
I think mountain with either desert or glacier/tundra, sand if possible.

And about the stone: Let's say we get rid of any stone within the actual fort, the mines are only to be cleared out in periods of stability and unemployment.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:25:48 am »

Last time we got people digging huge exploratory tunnels criss-crossing throughout the map, leaving huge amounts of stone lying about, bringing the FPS to it's knees. Just so you know.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 09:02:49 am »

Me next!

EDIT:
Area: Terrifying/Merely savage
Terrain: Mountains/Ocean shore/Tundra/Desert
Aquifer: Y/N
River: Y/N
Magma pipe: Y/N
HFS: Y/N
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 09:12:30 am by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 09:33:23 am »

Ding, Time to fuck up some art project you make.

Sign me up.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 09:44:36 am »

Sign me up as well please, also anything is suitable as long as we have a magma pipe and underground river.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 09:53:44 am »

Sign me up for the eighth...

I vote for a haunted beach with magma.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 10:05:22 am »

Also, I vote that we mod in spirits of fire as a playable adventurer so we can inspect the ruins of our fortress after it is inevitably destroyed.

P.S. You mispelled SparkGear in the title.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:07:31 am by Demonic Spoon »

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: SparkGear 3 - With A Vengeance [Now with Dig Deeper] [Sign up now]
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 11:15:57 am »

Hmh? I did no such thing.
That, combined with your elvish pessimism is definitely marking you as a potential traitor. I'll have the royal guard keep an eye on you.

Incidentally, I've yet to see any votes on the new rule.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 11:21:49 am »

I will try to keep to it if it passes but I fear that it would consume valuable dwarf labour that could be better used to make fuck the world devices.

P.S. Don't I get a cool title as well?  :(
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:24:14 am by Demonic Spoon »

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 11:31:36 am »

Area: Terrifying/Merely savage
Terrain: Mountains/Ocean shore/Tundra/Desert
Aquifer: Y/N
(Underground) River: Y/N
Magma pipe: Y/N
HFS: Y/N

I'll take the 5th.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 11:32:20 am »

It wouldn't significantly reduce dwarven labor, it would instead encourage people to keep their digging limited. Slowing it down a bit, as it were.
Just designate the stone to be dumped as you dig and designate some stone haulers.

So far terrifying mountains with magma pipe, hfs and underground river are winning. I doubt we could find mountains with an aquifer though. (maybe aquifer on part of the map? Do we really need it with an underground river?)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:36:33 am by nahkh »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 11:37:16 am »

3.    Demonic Spoon the Impaler

:D Thanks. I vote for the no stones rule.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 11:44:09 am »

This is in no way a reference to Prince Vlad III the Impaler, AKA Dracula, and the recent MASS MURDER you performed in SG2. No no. It's a compliment on your manhood.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 11:54:27 am »

6th for me.

I have never had a military so you can say goodbye to all the dwarves you know and love. And the turn ends are midnight for me too...or is it 1 am. Im confused about that.

I vote for the stuff Skid voted for and the stone rule.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 65