Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas: check - Effort: not so much  (Read 1985 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Ideas: check - Effort: not so much
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:28:46 pm »

The Three C's of Life Advice - Cancer, Creativity, and Computer Trouble.  The advice I'm in need of is on the second.  I'm not sure I even have a purpose for this appeal, but it's one of those things that seems to move along better when you know someone else can hear you talking.  "Hear" in a relative sense anyway.  I'm rambling.  My problem isn't with Creativity, it's with implementing it.

I am a font of ideas.  I can't get through a day without designing some new creative project, or rehashing in detail some project rolling around from times before.  And I'd like to believe that my ideas are pretty good ones.  There is a process to thought and imagination, and it can be honed like anything else.  Somewhere between constantly redesigning all my creative notions, perusing textual analyses, religiously absorbing production notes, taking film critique classes, digesting rulebooks for games I'll never play, and reading TVTropes until my eyes bleed, my creative process has gained a systemic framework.  Every big "project" is a machine in itself, with it's constituent parts, connections, and extrapolations.  Ideas can be judged useful or extensible or otherwise, and I think I've got a pretty good handle on my mind at this point.

That probably sounded pretentious and egotistical as all hell.  Because it was, but the fact that it took me nearly two hours to conceive of and write this post illustrates my problem.  I have virtually no ability to turn a brainstorm, however thorough or detailed, into actual work, or if I make it that far, to see the work to completion.  It's not fear of criticism or distrust of my skills or lack of time, I've got those down pat.  The problem is much more simple and insidious.

I'm lazy.  Very lazy.

Down in the Forum Games section, I recently completed a playthrough of the original Colonization.  Pretty good if sparse response, but that wasn't really the point.  I just wanted to do it for it's own sake.  But in the end, what was it?  An annotated journal of my thoughts on a fifteen year old computer game I've played a hundred times before.

Nevermind that is was a completely linear process with a fixed ending.  Nevermind that even that took me three months to finish.  Those just make worse the basic fact, that it's the only creative project I've ever taken on of my own volition that I've carried to anything close to completion.

I find that disheartening, and unsettling.

My mental and physical workspace is packed chock full of projects in need of attention, every one of them, to me at least, a diamond in the rough.
-Three different series of novellas, each more award-winning than the last.
-An idea for a simple but characterful table top RPG engine.
-My separate DIY table top wargame engine.
-An ongoing 'Let's Play' of The Sims 2, with everybody from the forum as neighbors.
-A Dwarf Fortress succession game, of all things.
-A Call of Cthulhu campaign I think this community would enjoy in forum game form.
-Two other ideas for forum games that would each require extensive preparation.

Some of those projects have been refining in my consciousness for months or even years.  Not one has gotten farther than a few napkin sketches if that.  Which doesn't even touch on the depressing wasteland of coding attempts, game-maker trash, aborted webcomics, crappy short stories, crumpled drawings, and other imaginative detritus stretching back into my adolescence.  Or my more recent (and blockbuster) idea for an MMO and follow-up titles, just waiting for a quarter million in startup capital.  Or, of course, my meticulous plan to get that capital which I could be working on right now, but obviously I'm not.

I'm great at finding excuses for myself on why I never develop anything.  Too many other things to do, when I've got nothing but time on my hands.  Need to practice more first, when I know damn well I never practice anything.  The real reasons come in exactly two forms.  Often I go into complete mental vapor-lock when I try to turn a developed brainstorm into actual written words and images, and I'm stuck in impatient frustration from the get-go.  Or I lose interest and let a project fall by the wayside, then never return to it out of a mix of confusing misdirection and self-loathing for giving up in the first place.

In essence, while I can come up with a great creative impetus and overall course of action, I always either become paralyzed by indecision when trying to plant the first step, or I just can't find the effort to make the second.

Maybe I'm making too much of common issue.  Maybe I'm too attached to too many dreams.  But seeing exactly one finally come to fruition, namely the most simple and frivolous one of them all, tells me I need to change either my method or perspective.  I'm sure I can't be the only person who's let a masterpiece go unpainted for want of the strength to lift the brush.  And there's only so many self-help guides I can thumb through in the bookstore before I decide to just ask somebody for advice.  I know the obvious answer is to yell "Do it already" at myself, but I've been doing that for the better part of ten years and it hasn't worked yet.

So fellow forum peoples, any advice for a Leonardo da Vinci trapped in the body of a Jerry Springer attendee?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas: check - Effort: not so much
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 06:32:41 pm »

Er.
You're perfectly god-forbid normal. Here's my advice; find a guy who IS willing to work his buttocks off, or find a company willing to take a leap of faith (Yeah right) and start up your own game company. You feed them the gooey tasty yogurt of wonderfully original ideas, and they make it for you, and you and they both get big piles of money.

Or if you're not feeling particularly ambitious, do the former option.
Trust me, I've felt like this before.

And if you don't feel ambitious enough to start a forum game, but enough to type that wall of text, you must have been zapped by space radiation. Milk that space-time anomaly while you still can!

EDIT: Methinks Nuke will be willing you help you. If he has the proper copy of the game you're talking about.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 06:35:18 pm by woose1 »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:38:30 pm »

And if you don't feel ambitious enough to start a forum game, but enough to type that wall of text, you must have been zapped by space radiation. Milk that space-time anomaly while you still can!

Don't think the irony is lost on me that I typed a giant wall of text to moan about how I can't be arsed to do anything.  But rambling out a stream of consciousness diatribe and turning visions of game systems into actual words are two very different processes.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 06:41:35 pm »

Would you prefer that I call you a whiny unambitious person?  :P

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 06:45:33 pm »

For one, you're lucky to have at least those outbursts of (fruitless, but still) creativity.
And if you want a way to force yourself into actually completing something, you've already found a way - as with the Colonization LP, make yourself feel responsible for taking a project to it's end by involving other people. By making them interested, by promising them an update on your progress every set period of time, by letting them nag you, should you get lazy and fall behind the schedule.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 06:51:07 pm »

Hey, if you think it would help.

But yeah, in all honesty just reflecting on that soppy wall has given me a little encouragement to crank out a few elements.  In think part of my problem is that I usually work up the most creative courage when I'm already too tired for my brain to produce meaningful work.  Low powered endorphins or something.

And if you want a way to force yourself into actually completing something, you've already found a way - as with the Colonization LP, make yourself feel responsible for taking a project to it's end by involving other people. By making them interested, by promising them an update on your progress every set period of time, by letting them nag you, should you get lazy and fall behind the schedule.

I was going to mention that - the LP, even if it was pretty dry, did give me a reason to keep going just because I knew some people were reading it.  That didn't work in the two forum games I tried running previously, that died slow wasting deaths.  However, those were because I went in thinking I could make up a game on the fly, and let in fourteen players each time.  The Catch-22 is that it's hard for me to work on something like a complicated forum game system, when the whole point is that I can't show it to anybody until it's finished.

My war game engine is another matter, but illustrative in itself.  I stopped updating the thread because I really did have too much real work to do.  Nonetheless I've laid some pretty critical groundwork recently.  The problem is my brainstorming is now so far ahead of my notes that my mental transmission can't find the gears to connect the two.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 06:55:23 pm »

Hey, if you think it would help.
Don't think I won't forget that.  :)

Now. Close your eyes Wait then you can't read the text. Alright, after you're finished reading this close your eyes. Now, take all that creative energy and do something that many would consider to be a terrible waste of human resources. Channel it into raw will for doing work. Imagine, that those LP's are becoming your full-time job. Now, do a LP of Deus Ex. What are you looking at me for? Scram!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 11:39:19 pm »

Ya know... I've found myself in a simmilar situation at times... One of the first things I posted after I joined here was a game I created. It was a text-based RPG simmilar to Colossal Cave. I got some helpful criticisim, but never acted upon it... I was like "Ok, I've done it, now what?" but I hadn't implemented all of the cool features I came up with before hand.

I've also got ideas for 2 stories (of unknown length) and at least 2 games. But I just can't get my ass in gear and go. Admittedly, I have tried (twice) to write one of the stories, but I'll work on it for one sitting and never come back to it...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 12:01:45 am »

I actually work for a game company that's starting up currently as a developer.

We used to make garrrysmod mods and such, but we're moving on to real games.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 12:39:02 am »

I would offer some advice as you have a similar situation to what I got, but I'm too tired. All I can say is that this thread will likely help a lot. Not so much advice given as much as admitting faults to the world.

But if I have one piece of advice it'-
 OHSHOOTSPEARGROOVE!

*Runs off to play DF*
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 12:49:32 am »

I know this is going to probably sound generic, but think of what positive outcomes you would get for working and finishing what you are trying to do.  If the benefits are good enough, it should at least give you a reason for wanting to finish it.

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 09:52:25 am »

Long post ahoy. Hope you don't mind. :D

I'm great at finding excuses for myself on why I never develop anything.  Too many other things to do, when I've got nothing but time on my hands.  Need to practice more first, when I know damn well I never practice anything.  The real reasons come in exactly two forms.  Often I go into complete mental vapor-lock when I try to turn a developed brainstorm into actual written words and images, and I'm stuck in impatient frustration from the get-go.  Or I lose interest and let a project fall by the wayside, then never return to it out of a mix of confusing misdirection and self-loathing for giving up in the first place.

I suspect your problem is this. You are expecting too much out of yourself right from the get-go. At least this is the impression I'm getting from your rant combined with my own personal experience with similar problems.

Why do I think this? You talk about how you experience "complete mental vapor-lock when I(you) try to turn a developed brainstorm into actual written words and images"--but you weren't worried about making this thread. I suspect that's because this thread didn't have to be perfect from the start. You could say just about anything as long as it gets your point across and it doesn't have to be undying prose, which is why you were easily able to type it all out. Another reason why you've given me this impression is because you said "Need to practice more first" . . . but if you were confident about your skills, you wouldn't be thinking that. You want to practice because you want to make the ideas you currently have great.

Well, the unfortunate truth is that nobody does well when first starting out at a creative endeavor. You are not going to do well. These ideas are going to crash and burn.

*pause*

If me saying that filled you with despair or resentment, then that's a good sign. Because it means that's what you need to let go of to get rid of the block to your creativity. Now, I'm going to admit that what I said up there isn't necessarily the truth. There are people out there who can make their first efforts excellent. But, those people allowed themselves the freedom to make mistakes and to make something not perfect. Creativity does not do well under pressure unless it's coupled with experience and solid know-how.

Again, this is just what I suspect based on personal experience. The problem isn't something like "desire" or "effort" and I believe it's counterproductive to tell yourself that you're just being lazy. When your creativity gets blocked, it's generally for a very good reason, not because you're a bad person. Solving the reason will solve the block and then it won't take a herculean effort of will to start something. If this IS your problem then it's really amazing that you even managed to start something at all and I take my hat off to you. I found reading the book "Art & Fear" by David Bayles and Ted Orland helped me a lot . . . as well as finding ways to convince myself that making something crappy was not a bad thing.

Anyway, I can give more advice if you want it, but I don't want to drag on and on if this doesn't sound like your problem to you. :)