Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Design idea : guild towers

(1/2) > >>

shraarkan:
Hi,
After playing a while, i've always had the same problem : My fortresses suffer a cruel lack of organisation, and i've recently tried a new Design: I've built 13*13 towers, from -15 to +3 (growing). In each of those i have digged out the bedrooms, dining room and workshop.
The 3 first underground level (clay/soil) are raw materials stockpiles, beneath are the bedrooms and Workshops. Aboveground are Furniture/finished goods stockpiles.

example : the Stone levels, north are bedrooms, south workshops, betwwen, small stockpiles

--- Quote ---#############
#+++#+++#+++#
#+++#+++#+++#
#+++#+++#+++#
##D###D###D##
#PPP +X X X+ PPP#
#PPP +X X X+ PPP#
#PPP +X X X+ PPP#
##D###D###D##
#+++#+++#+++#
#+++#+++#+++#
#+++#+++#+++#
#############

--- End quote ---

In each tower is a kind of worker : stone, wood, metal, bone... The towers have access between each others at level +1 and -10, plus an access around -5 to my dining room and food stockpiles, and one via a drawgridge at ground level.

at ground level, towers are surrounded by 3-tiles wide moats, which i plan to fill with magma.

i'm currently building the noble tower, which will be a bit wider and higher. those are important dwarves, you see, they ABSOLUTELY need plumbery, maybe magma involving heating system ^^

Martin:
That's a decent approach. My concern would be hauling. A dwarf might take a hauling job in one tower to move something from a big to a small stockpile 10 steps away. The next job might be in the next tower, however. He'll spend more time walking from tower to tower than actually doing the jobs. That's a general problem in DF and one that will go away with burrows in the next version (you could assign dedicated haulers to each tower), but until then I think that'll be the bottleneck in your design. Hold onto it, though.

cyks:
what about the lack of organization is turning you off exactly?

Do you just want a better looking fortress or do you want less heavy traffic?

Foa:
Dammit, for the love of all angelic, and anti angelic, use Teletype tags, not quote tags, nor code tags to make diagrams!!!

Lesson learned, press the '' button to create teletype tags that can be used for diagrams.

#############
#+++#+++#+++#
#+++#+++#+++#
#+++#+++#+++#
##D###D###D##
#PPP+XXX+PPP#
#PPP+XXX+PPP#
#PPP+XXX+PPP#
##D###D###D##
#+++#+++#+++#
#+++#+++#+++#
#+++#+++#+++#
#############

shraarkan:
>cyks:
I just can't manage correctly with immigrating dwarves : the beginning is always clear, but when i got around 50 dwarves, it becomes a chaotic shapeless thing, which cannot be expanded properly. This caused most of my abandons

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version