Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Animal Stockpile + Magma

(1/1)

ItchyBeard:
I thought I'd share my method of dealing with captured gobbos as I haven't seen it brought up before :).

The title says it all really - combine the first with the second for an easy and hassle free way of dealing with captured goblins:

* Build a whole bunch of magma-safe cages and traps.
* Set up an animal stockpile which takes goblins.
* Set up a way of dropping/pumping magma into your animal stockpile. I recommend including a way of draining it quickly to preserve their bones (a stockpile with magma poured briefly into the middle with drains around the edges works well).
* Dump the goblin's gear (use mass-dump designation then manually undump just the cages).
* Close it off, flood it with magma, and never have to worry about manually pitting several dozen goblins again. Works fantastically for thieves.
* If you drained the magma quickly enough, you'll be able to harvest the bones from the dead goblins (they'll be a little XX scorched XX though).
Notes:

* Product may be hot after heating.
* If you don't dump the goblins gear before doing this, it will catch fire and burn inside the cage leading to much dwarfiness when the dwarves use the cage to reload a trap. It's also a pain because they'll dump the contents of the cage on the ground when they reload the trap leading to an entrance corridor littered with iron armor and weapons.
* It's best to set up several of these as it tends to take a while for the magma to evaporate.
It certainly beats the "figure out which goblin to pit x 50" method both in convenience and in fun...

AtomicPaperclip:
Can you set up a pit/pond area in a channel filled with magma?

dragon0421:
I had planned to do something just like this on my magma pipe map full of excess garnerite (nickel).

Village_Idiot:
I don't really care about the bones, so I put them in wooden cages bought from the elves and burn the cages themselves by pumping a bit (1-2 depth) of magma just outside my fortress. although I occasionally "forget" to wait for the elves to actually leave when attempting this....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version