Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just how bad...  (Read 906 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just how bad...
« on: June 29, 2009, 08:02:58 am »

are the various bad thoughts? Will a dwarf tantrum from having one masterpiece destroyed? One pet killed? How upset is it safe to make your dwarves?

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just how bad...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:19:25 am »

Depends on other circumstances, I can destroy masterfully engravings all the time with legendary prepared meals, booze and dining hall.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:33:35 am »

It depends on the personal happiness of your dwarves and the happy thoughts they are getting, also the severity of the bad thoughts vary, for examply you won't be quite as upset if a friend that you met recently died as your lifelong friend since childhood died.

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 09:08:15 am »

For the "masterpiece destroyed" at least it depends on how many masterpieces they have.  If your fort if covered in thousands of masterpieces by the same dwarf the effect of destroying one is almost nothing, but if they only have one and you break it... well you'd best have a "legendary dining room" "comforting waterfall" "bedroom like a personal palace" "own fine bed/door/cabinet/chest" and "truly decadent food/drink."  Well, that might be exaggerating, I've never actually destroyed an "only" masterpiece.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 02:57:44 pm »

I believe personality also has an impact.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:09:23 pm »

In terms of a destroyed masterpiece, does the grudge/friend relationship come into play?  More specifically: would a dwarf be more upset if someone they have a grudge relationship with destroys their art than if a friend did it?  Could I get my legendary farmer (who has a grudge against the mayor) to cause the mayor to go melancholy/berserk if I have him dig holes in all of the mayor's masterwork engravings?  If so, then this could be a very entertaining solution should the mayor start demanding Large Gems or somesuch.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 03:27:44 pm »

There's a detailed chart on the wiki.  "thought".  (As if that should be a surprise to anyone.)  :-\

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 03:39:03 pm »

I've found that regardless of the good thoughts, destroying a dwarf's only masterpiece will result in them being miserable.  It is such a large negative thought.  Once they have a couple though it seems to have almost no effect.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 03:42:05 pm »

You've found that -1000 is larger than any reasonable number of +20's combined?  You da man.  ;)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 03:53:24 pm »

Yep, smashing an only artifact is -1000 (is smashing one of 2 worth -500?  Would seem to make sense).  So if a dwarf has a fey mood, keep the artifact somewhere safe, like constructed or sold, otherwise you may pointlessly lose a legendary to a kobold thief.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 04:08:36 pm »

I was just trying to be helpful, the math isn't exactly hard.

Short story, don't destroy masterpieces unless you know the creator has quite a few of them.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 04:15:24 pm »

I was just trying to be helpful, the math isn't exactly hard.

Short story, don't destroy masterpieces unless you know the creator has quite a few of them.
Actually, I should probably point out that it's masterworks and artifacts.  And covering a masterwork engraved floor with magma counts as defacement.  You've been warned.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 05:48:07 pm »

Artifacts are significantly harder to destroy though.  Dump and Melt designations don't work on them so unless you flood your storerooms with magma or they get stolen it's pretty hard to lose them.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 07:17:49 pm »

it's pretty hard to lose them.

Couldn't you construct a floor over magma or a bottomless pit, put a stockpile on it that only accepts artifact-level items of the appropriate type and then cave-in said floor once your artifact gets delivered? I mean, unless I'm missing something, that should work and isn't something I'd call "pretty hard". "Moderate pain in the ass" would be more like it.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 07:26:42 pm »

I meant it is pretty hard to lose an artifact unless you are trying to.